Go Bottom Go Bottom

TC34 DA vs 35DA

View my Photos
praha4752
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-01-16          138882

Hi all,
I am about to purchase my first tractor and I have a question for you , experienced "tractorists".
TC 34 vs. TC 35 /almost 1000 lb weight diff./. I want to clean some woods, like 5 ac's /bush,3" trees etc.with a grapple loader/, and move some dirt. I also want to buy a small tree extractor. I don't remember what they exactly call it..600 dollars thing.

Do I need a heavy machine like TC35 / 3400lb/ or a lighter tractor will be better??/TC 34/?
I know ,that HP/weight ratio for TC 35 is not THAT great. OR , would TC 34 be able to handle the grapple? Thanks for your time in advance.

Joe

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

TC34 DA vs 35DA

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-01-18          138895

IMHO (and experience) I think you need to ask yourself:

After I get all this heavy work done what will be the need for the CUT afterward?

Is money a consideration?

I have a TC33D and wouldn't consider using it for digging out stumps (other members do use their's)---fine to medium grading and brush hogging are fine though and light loader work like moving loose dirt or mulch).

Personally I hate to see any CUT put through its paces doing work a real backhoe, properly-equipped skid steer loader, small dozer, or mini-excavator (rental or hired) should be doing.

But I'm jis' sayin'... ....

TC34 DA vs 35DA

View my Photos
praha4752

2007-01-18          138897

thanks. ....

TC34 DA vs 35DA

View my Photos
ncrunch32
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-01-18          138900

I would think that 1000 lb weight difference would make a big difference. I would go for the heavier weight if you want to use a grapple and extract trees. The more weight, the less you will have a wheel in the air when you are pulling and lifting this stuff out of the ground. ....

TC34 DA vs 35DA

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-01-18          138901

If you're wanting to use the grapple, the bigger the better for the tractor. And 'Crunch is right about lifting a a tire.

Quick-attach forks or clamp-on bucket forks might be a alternative. If you look on eBay there are several guys selling individual grapple arms that can be welded to your bucket or even pallet fork frame. They're about $250-$350 each---might get away with just one. Don't buy the economy model. You get what you pay for :)

Also keep in mind the weight of the grapple itself---depending on style and mfg.----it alone could be more than the 34DA is rated for. My avatar to the left shows something like my skid steer loader. It has a 6' wide industrial (solid flat bottom vs. open or "root") grapple made by Bobcat. It weighs about 800 lb., which comes right off the rated load capacity of 2500lb. and 5500lb. tipping. I've been able to pick up entire cars from the side and move them to the ditch for pickup. And price varies drastically for grapples as well which is comensurate with quality and durability. Mine listed for $5200, paid $3700. You can find others for $1500-1700 but they may not last as long and can bend the arms easily (seen many down here that were scrapped after a few uses---they were "manure or forage grapples"), and the cutting edges are welded-on and wear down quickly if used on anything but dirt (a worn-out one will look like a tiger with overbite). Grapples hold their value though---I picked one up a fairly new one for $300 that had a broken off arm and broken hydraulic cylinder (someone tipped the machine over with the loader raised into a ditch). $200 in parts and my labor and sold it for $1500. Could have gotten got more if I waited longer. ....

TC34 DA vs 35DA

View my Photos
praha4752

2007-01-19          138906

You guys are right, I did it when I was younger, bought cheap and regreted it. Don't do it any more, but since they have a tc 34 available and 35 has to be ordered and since power /weight ratio is the worse of all Boomers /salesman said/ and since tc 35 is not a good seller , I just wanted to know your opinion.
I am a total newbie in this field. I've spent at least 100 hours on the net to see what is available , what might be suitable etc. Now, finally, I know what I want, what brand.

I am AMAZED how many attachments one get, the "tools" for everything. Those attachments are def. an alternative, I mean thats the way to go, at least in my case.
And yes, I believe bigger is better, but with my F 150 5,4 motor I am limited.
The tractor will have to travel..... My trailer is 1700 lbs. The tractor should be around 3500 # no more , I think.
I can't pull more than 8000 lbs. Again I may be wrong...but thats where I am right now. Thanks again......and I will contribute to this site.No problem here.

Joe

TC34 DA vs 35DA

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-01-19          138912

They have to order a 35? The dealers I know just call up another dealer and make a deal or swap to get you what you want. They might be trying to get you to buy something off lot. I read somewhere here that the TC33/34/35 use the same motor so I'm not so sure there is big real-world difference in power to weight ratio when it comes to tractors, especially when talking hydrostatic drives. A lot has to with gearing or hydraulic advantage. (For example I have a manlift that weighs over 8,000 lb but is powered by a 20hp gas engine.) ....

TC34 DA vs 35DA

View my Photos
WVNHTC35

2007-01-27          139214

I have a 2003 NH TC35, I started with a TC29 and it was TOO SMALL for any large woods work, I have heard a lot of people say the 35 doesnt have enough engine BUT if you go with the gear drive you wont be sorry, I have used mine since new now with 400+ hours on it and it has never let me down, It is used on over 200 acres and has pulled alot of timber up out of the woods some up to 24+ " in diameter, The 35 is a GREAT machine!

-Mike ....

TC34 DA vs 35DA

View my Photos
praha4752

2007-01-28          139224

Thanks Mike,

I never test drove any NH tractor, I was going to yesterday, but I've got stuck at JD dealer. Then I went to see Mahindra 35 HP tractor and run out of time.
I really liked JD 33 HP tractor with the big tires/24/. I test drove it/hydro/, it has a big tractor feeling. They did not have 35HP available, but for a test drive purpose only it's the same.
I gotta go back to see NH dealer....
How difficult is to shift back and forth when using a loader?
Mahindra/gear/ was easy. JD hydro super easy.
NH TC 35A is a gear/12x12/??, I believe.

Thanks,
Joe ....

TC34 DA vs 35DA

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-01-28          139272

My buddy has a 35hp Mahindra which is not garage-kept. It's not even a yer old and it is rusting in spots that it shouldn't--like control levers, brackets, in btween th weld seams on the rear fenders. The front hood is palstic and has very poor fitment to the side curtains which are rubbing badly and worn. It's a quiet machine though.

My NH TC33D is so easy to drive that when my niece was 3 she could drive it (standing between my legs so I'm still in control). For loader IMHO hydro is the only way to go--quicker and offers much less operator fatigue. It's more cost on the front end but worth it. And it makes mowing twice as fast too if you're backing into areas. ....

TC34 DA vs 35DA

View my Photos
WVNHTC35

2007-01-29          139291

Joe,

The TC35 is very easy to shift while running the loader, If you go with a 35 I would stay with th gears and yes they are 12x12, You would start to compomise the power in the hydro version according to my NH dealer.

Mike ....

TC34 DA vs 35DA

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-01-29          139294

I'd like to see the power graph of the comparable machines. And I'd like to see the traction graph and at what point traction is lost doing loader work.

Power is one thing, but traction is another. Particularly in loader work, a full bucket is a full bucket so no amount of power will overcome traction. And you have to remember these machines are not meant to be real backhoe loaders; they're meant primarily to pull.

And I hate to say it, but if a dealer doesn't have what you're looking for, he may try to steer you into something less than your expectations rather than lose the sale totally.

But I'm jis' sayin'. ....

TC34 DA vs 35DA

View my Photos
praha4752

2007-01-29          139314

Well,
first thank you all for your help!!!!!!!!!!!

I liked gears on Mahindra. I was impressed with JD , but I wasn't impressed with their quote. 26000 with a grapple bucket. 3320 tractor 18400 and a FEL 8000.....
They charge some telephone bill like charges. Delivery /$200/ and predelivery /800/. I will pick it up. Plus for all kind of attaching hardware, wheel weight. etc. The tax is not incl.
Anyway, Mahindra 3515 was 16700 plus 700 for 2 extra. hydraulic ports /lines/.
Now we are talking money, I am not sure if you guys are interested in that stuff!
All I need to do now, is to take TC35 for a spin.
It was snowing here today, thoug.

As far as Mahindra fit and finish, I guess we get what we pay for. Resale value is not very good for Mahindra type of tractor, but since it is cheap to buy , who knows. A couple of thousands $ here and there probably don't matter.
But I am getting closer. At least i know what to expect, kind of , anyway.
The JD 3320 had a tall turf tires. Gotta find out the size.

Joe

TC34 DA vs 35DA

View my Photos
praha4752

2007-01-30          139321

Well, I found TC 35A on e bay , private seller, 10 miles from me , 221 hours...15 000.
I did not want to buy used, but this is pretty tempting, is 221 hours a lot.../

Thanks,
Joe ....

TC34 DA vs 35DA

View my Photos
kwschumm

2007-01-30          139323

If it has been well cared for 221 hours is nothing. Ask for any service receipts and exercise due diligence to be sure it isn't a stolen tractor. ....

TC34 DA vs 35DA

View my Photos
Blueman

2007-01-30          139328

My 2 cents worth: If you are going to use a loader with this size machine, buy the hydro. I have a TC45D (with hydro), and my friend has the TC45 (gear). He has the loader, and I can't tell you how many times he said he wishes he had the hydro...so much easier to keep your hand on the loader joystick, and operate the hydro with your feet... ....

TC34 DA vs 35DA

View my Photos
oneace

2007-01-30          139368

Those kind of hours the machine is just getting broke in. Just look it over very well. Spend some time driving it and working all of the features. After you do that go drive a new one at the dealers. Take note of any odd noises or vibrations between the two. Sounds like an alright deal if the tractor is not beat. ....

TC34 DA vs 35DA

View my Photos
oneace

2007-01-30          139369

Looking at the pictures it looks pretty good. ....

Link:   Ebay listing

TC34 DA vs 35DA

View my Photos
praha4752

2007-01-31          139375

Yeah, it looks pretty good, indeed.
BUT, I don't like those " selling for my friend" auctions.
Why is this guy bringing this tractor to the city. Joliet is a chicago suburb. The owner /rural area/ would have more chances to sell it in his home town / farming community. I THINK. I could be wrong.
theres another tractor, this time TC 30 for sale at tractor house. The pic. is obviously taken at the dealer. Brand new ,shiny. tractor.......but he claims his tractor's used and he is not a dealer.....scam?
I would buy a used machine, 200 hours is nothing , I agree, but I am not taking any chances. I will buy new.
There's lots of equipment on e bay from after Katrina time, submerged for a long time, being restored and sold. New's new.

Joe ....

TC34 DA vs 35DA

View my Photos
oneace

2007-01-31          139381

I would be suspicious except that he is not offering ANY type of delivery. Only local pick up. And also that he wants people to come look at the unit. Sounds legit to me. Remember not every one has the Internet and the tractor may very well be posted locally too. Call the guy up or e-mail him and start a dialog before you jump the gun. ....

TC34 DA vs 35DA

View my Photos
praha4752

2007-02-01          139430

Yes, I did e mailed him, but he did not call or e mail me back. I want new tractor, anyway. I don't want to kick myself later....if something happens.
Joe ....

TC34 DA vs 35DA

View my Photos
oneace

2007-02-04          139543

I don't blame you. It is a nice feeling when you a a brand new machine sitting in your yard for the first time, for that matter the 100th time. ....

TC34 DA vs 35DA

View my Photos
praha4752

2007-02-26          140017

I wish the NH had 0% financing

J. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This