Go Bottom Go Bottom

Is New Holland Tractor SuperSteer Useful

View my Photos
waynecar
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-01-12          138723

I am considering purchasing a TC40 or 45 tractor with loader for general all around use on a farm of 55 acres and I have a few questions.

1. I was wondering if SuperSteer was that useful. Are there any repair issues concerning it?

2. I understand the D models are nice with the hydrostatic drive but cost a bit more. Is the D model worth the somewhat higher price? (I'm used to gears.)

3. Also, if one has a little over 1000 hours on it, (a 2000 model---45D w/SuperSteer for $15.9K) is it much of an issue? I understand that how well a tractor is taken care of influences its life greatly.

I would appreciate any comments that would help with the decisions of purchasing a tractor. Thanks.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-01-12          138739

When shopping (looked at TC33) I would have bought SS since it did seem to greatly improve maneuverability. It has a downside if you have to drive through narrow areas (between buildings, rows of crops or trees, etc). When you turn one direction the front axle swivels and the body of the tractor moves the opposite direction a bit. This isn't a problem in most circumstances but only in very narrow areas. I don't recall reading of any problems with SS reliability. As far as transmission type, the gear will certainly get the job done. I like a hydro due to infinite speed range (it's nice to be able to go real, real slow sometimes - like a few inches per minute). Not sure what else comes on the D model. ....

View my Photos
Blueman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-01-12          138748

waynecar,
I have a TC45D. There are times in our barn where SS would be appreciated; but I think I have read that you will have reduced FEL capacity with the SS? I can also tell you that a friend has a TC45 (gear), and everytime we get together, he wishes he had the Hydro. After having the hydro for a couple hundred hours now, I don't think I would want to go back to gear, at least not for my use. Time will tell however if it will last as long as the gear tranny, and the overall cost of ownership? ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-01-12          138749

Waynecar; I've never driven one, but a farmer friend of mine has what looks to be like a 150 hp. Ford tractor with supersteer. I don't know if the CUT model supersteer is identical to the big tractors only just downsized or not but his comment was that there are something like 15 or more daily grease points on the supersteer compared to probably four or five on a conventional mechanical front axle. So his concern was that it might be an expensive repair when these joints all become worn. I have also heard whether true or false I don't know but that the loader capicity must be less than a conventional front end. Enjoy what you buy. Frank. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2007-01-12          138753

I may well be wrong but I thought the fixed axle had the same load rating as the supersteer axle. In other words, if the supersteer axle reduced the load rating they downrated it for both axles. To be safe best to check the specs and verify with the dealer. It might be model independent. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-01-12          138768

I think their concern on loader rating was not for reasons of the strength of the supersteer axle but the fact that the front axle assembly moves from side to side under the frame of the tractor making it a concern of moving the front wheel closer to the frame while the loader bucket stll remains in line with the tractor making for a risk if overturning the tractor. I could be all wet on this, but that was the info I was given. Frank. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2007-01-12          138770

I would agree with the tip-over theory. I had one and if I am not mistaken, that was a caution I was given when the bucket was high in the air.

One other thing I noticed is that on a hill in a sharp turn, say for mowing, your front end width is reduced considerably. I noticed too that when mounting the loader one need be cautious because when you turn the wheel to line the tractor up with the loader frame the entire front of the tractor moves, even if you are standing still. That can be a good thing for alignment or a bad thing if you forget that is going to happen and are in close quarters.

Everything considered, I love the SS option. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-01-12          138782

When I bought my '02 TC33D the D stood for more than just hydro. Actually it stands for Deluxe. Compared to non D's you get hydro, sprung seat, cruise control, tilt & telescopic wheel and some other things I forget. The SS is a good option. With it you get a hybrid 4 whel drive system that doesn't have a 2wd option---the 4wd can be locked or is otherwise transparent until the system senses it needs it due to wheel spin at the front. I use SS when brush hogging---with cruise on and the cutting brakes separated, hit the RH brake and turn the wheel to the right and it will literally spin on a dime. This won't work on the LH pedal as that will turn off the cruise control. SS doesn't reduce stability, in fact since the axle is about 8" more forward it increases it. And when in narrow areas, it doesn't add to the width of the axle---like if I drove right up along side a wall or the like, I can drive right out and away because the wheel doesn't start to turn right away but the axle is pulling or pushing the axle & wheel away from the obstruction as it turns. Back to the stability issue, as all tractors I know of use a pivoting-center front axle whether the axle was 12" wide or 12' wide it wouldn't matter about stability---it will always pivot at the center under the engine like a teeter totter. Percieved stability--yes. Real or practical---no. The only issue I know of with SS until you get used to it is with SS and a FEL is the loader will move the opposite way a little if you turn the wheel while stopped. At speed it's totally transparent. ....

View my Photos
waynecar

2007-01-12          138784

Thanks for your responses. They're helpful in trying to decide what to buy.

I would appeciate if some could "tackle" question number three which is:

3. Also, if one has a little over 1000 hours on it, (a 2000 model---45D w/SuperSteer for $15.9K) is it much of an issue? I understand that how well a tractor is taken care of influences its life greatly.

(I added the two other questions not related to the Subject SuperSteer after realizing I had a few more questions that needed to be answered.)

Thanks. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2007-01-12          138785

If a tractor has been well cared for 1000 hours should be no big deal. What else do you get for that price? Based on comparable listings on machinefinder dot com that seems like a pretty fair price. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2007-01-13          138791

I agree that the stability is increased over conventional tractors due to forward placement as long as the axle is in the perpendicular position to the tractor chassis, but once that axle turns to an almost parallel position when hard-over, there is very little front end lateral support.

Lesser stability at that point may be perception on my part but I was always careful with a fully loaded bucket. Not to beat this point to death but I would suggest a demo ride someplace where you can do some loader work. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-01-13          138797

Cutter at the risk of beating that horse, try or think of this anology:

NOTE: For purposes of this discussion "stability" will be with regard to side-to-side stabilty where it it most discernable (which is really a function of the rear axle width or "wheel track"). Front-to-back stability is one of the functions of the distance between the front and rear axles and the relation of the distance to the loader load to the front axle (leverage is one result of these)

Park a tractor with a FEL on level ground with the loader up. Get off it, and shake it side to side as much as you can, observing the relative movement beween the front axle and the tractor itself, and and record the results in your memory. (Aside from the tires giving there will have been very little play since the rear wheels are providing the stability, and that's where/what the loader is connected to, not the front axle). Also note that the front wheels do not exhibit the same flexing as the rears other than a minor vibration from the whole tractor wobbling.

Next, jack up the front end with only ONE jack (which will serve as the pivot of the soon-to-be-former front axle) and remove the front axle center pivot pin leaving the front axle right there but not part of the tractor.

Repeat the shaking procedure as above and record the results.

Compare the results and they will be identical. And that is because the front axle is a pivoting member.

Clear as mud?

Now, either with the front axle reinstalled or not---doesn't matter, I will attempt to demonstrate more stability not related or dependent on or to the width of the front axle:

Puncture or otherwise rapidly deflate a front tire. Nothing will happen other than it dropping the tractor to the ground. Sahke the tracotr and the stabily has not been reduced. Even do the same to the other front wheel and the same thing---nothing---will happen to the stability.

Now let's induce some big time INstability which is what you are talking about:

Simply puncture a rear tire and you might even get the loader to overturn.

And this is why loaders on tractors---including backhoes-- are not the ideal setup for grading or construction work: the loader get's it's stability from the rear not the front; look at any modern machine with a purpose-built loader like a front end loader and you'll see that the loader is indirectly connected to the front axle and the rear is allowed to float.

View my Photos
oneace

2007-01-24          139161

With regards to the 1000 hours. I have seen some come in with that plus the highest being around 4500. Some looked like brand new others were ready for the scrap pile. You pretty much answered your own question. You best bet would be to look it over really well. Drive it around, try all the levers and buttons make sure they do what they are supposed to do. Then go drive a new one was there any strange noises in the used one not in the new. Don't be afraid to take some serious time going over the unit. ....

View my Photos
bill123c

2008-01-27          150833

I am looking at a used 2002 TC33D w/HST. How can I tell if it has the Supersteer option?

thanks Bill ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2008-01-27          150834

Bill, looking from the side and down low a bit, look for a solid steel bar about an inch-and-a-half in diameter with a slight bend in it that extends roughly from the center of the tractor forward under the front axle.

Looking from the top there will be two short tie rods (one each side) connected to the steering knuckles and back to the frame---there is no real tie rod like on a 2WD.

From any distance a non-SS will have the front axle set back about 8 or so inches---that is the biggest giveaway.

Do yourself a favor and test drive a non-SS then compare notes to a SS. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login