Go Bottom Go Bottom

TC33DA FWD Working

View my Photos
tom21769
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-05-21          129658

I bought a new TC33DA with SuperSteer & industrial tires about a year ago.
I expected to be able to make tight turns without slipping.
However, I generally cannot turn tight even on dry grass without the front wheels slipping forward. This happens even with FWD engaged.

How do I test if the FWD is engaging at all?
The FWD control lever, unlike any of the other levers, has almost no resistance when I push it forward. Is this normal?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

TC33DA FWD Working

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-05-21          129659

Put it in 4wd and drive it in a circle. In 4wd you can see the front wheels slipping out of sync with the ground. In 2wd they should basically turn as fast as they are traveling. Sort of hard to describe but I can sure see the difference on my JD. BTW, turning in 4wd is hard on the drivetrain. It's best to use it in slippery conditions only because there has to be some slippage. The drivetrain designs aren't very sophisticated. ....

TC33DA FWD Working

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-05-24          129791

"They're not sophisticated"---- errrRR? They sure are on the NH Boomers with SuperSteer. Technically, the machine is in 4x all the time--it doesn't a have a "2wd mode". What is transparent to the operator is the front axle cycling in and out of 4x on its own. Pretty sure it's called SensiTrac. In SensiTrac mode it only "engages" when one front wheel senses any slip, then a clutch under the engine engages (which is in the black rubber boot) the rest of the front drive shaft to propell the front axle. Unless the lever is broken it feels soft because the fairly large spring hanging down under the engine connected to the clutch takes up the slack. I've noticed on mine (TC33D) that under load pulling a box grader both wheels are under power and sometimes tend to not go exactly where they're pointed, but I just let off the pedal and it steers perfectly. This is likely due to the rear wheels wanting to spin at the same time or equalizing under load which tend to make it go straight ahead. I really didn't notice this until I lost my front suitcase weights. If you're concerned 4x doesn't work, jack it up in the front middle. Rotate one tire about 1/2 to 1 rotation, and it should engage and stop the wheel. Put the lever in "4x lock" and you won't be able to rotate the wheel any after the clutch engages. And while it's jacked up don't start the engine and try to drive the wheels---front or rear.

Also, if it's 4xd lock and you make a turn on concrete, you'll see a lot of tire rubber scuffing on the surface as the tires fight against the turn. Put it SensiTrac, and try it again. There should little, if any rubber, on the surface. ....

TC33DA FWD Working

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-05-24          129793

I don't know about SuperSteer but most CUTs are downright primitive compared to a modern AWD vehicle. No offense intended :) ....

TC33DA FWD Working

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-05-24          129798

No offense taken, bud. And sophisticated is a relative term; the system is sophisticated in that the operator needs no other input to allow the machine to detect slippage---just set it and go. ....

TC33DA FWD Working

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-05-24          129800

The term SuperSteer refers to the steering system; the front axle isn't fixed but rather rotates horizontally allowing tighter turns (the axle is like the old push go- carts we made as kids using a 2x4 for an axle with it pivoting in the middle) The axle still uses knuckles to turn the wheels so you have an axle with pivoting knuckles too. The first time you see it work it looks like the axle is coming apart from the tractor. ....

TC33DA FWD Working

View my Photos
Murf

2006-05-25          129810

From the one sentence description offered, I would be checking to see that the rear diff. lock is not stuck in the engaged position.

I've seen that happen before, if the diff. stays locked and the machine is light in the front end it plow straight forward instead of turning a tight corner.

Best of luck. ....

TC33DA FWD Working

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-05-25          129813

If I might add to what Murf said, it also is affected by what kind of load you are pulling. Some loads are harder to turn than others.

TC33DA FWD Working

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-05-25          129818

Earthwrks, I test drove a TC33D with Supersteer when I was tractor shopping. I thought it was a pretty neat feature that would have helped maneuver through our trees pretty effectively. Unfortunately, at the time, the loader capacity of the TC33 with 7308 loader was a lot lower than the competition. Supposedly this was due to a weaker front axle which was beefed up in later models. ....

TC33DA FWD Working

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-05-25          129821

Murf I just got in from scaping a private gravel road. At the approach I found me doing what I described earlier, so I let off the pedal, turned the wheel all the way to the stop and the front end steered flawlessly and actually spun me around on a dime, under power with a full 6' box scraper. No, the diff lock wasn't on.

KW: I have't head anything about the axle problems on my 2002 model---the mechanic did say back then they did have problems with the axle bolts streching, but that was solved before I bought mine. I put my machine through it's paces---I don't baby it (though I should---my bad, I know) ....

TC33DA FWD Working

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-05-25          129824

I didn't mean to imply there were axle problems of any kind on the TC33. The only thing I heard was that NH derated the loader capacity due to the limitations. I don't think there are any reliability problems with it. ....

TC33DA FWD Working

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-05-26          129865

kw: They did have a problem with the early axle bolts like I said, but I thoink derating is more likley realeted to the potentail of someone overturning the CUT trying to lift too much. I have a mid-size backhoe that can lift a lot and there's been many a time I've nearly laid it on its side. Oh yeah, and I stocked up on backhoe seat cushion foam due to chunking it out with me butt cheeks. LOL ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login