Go Bottom Go Bottom

hyd fluid filter leak

View my Photos
nhtc33d
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-12-09          120777

Started my tractor to let it warm up as I shoveled some walks and I come back to a 7 gallon puddle and the filter spitting oil out of the top. The tractor is in unheated storage. The oil is amsoil synthetic for tractors 30w. Temp outside was about 20. The oil seemed to be pretty thick. So much for amsoil keeping there flow characteristics in colder whether. Anyway would the cold whether cause this? I have ran this thing for 4 winters in 0 degree whether no trouble except for a little squeel. My first year with synthetic and the first time I fire it up it blows the seal on the filter out of the filter. What the hell? HST filter was fine but I didn't drive it. Tried putting seal back in filled it up with new 134 and it blew write out again. Could it be something else wrong or a defective filter? Any input would be appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

hyd fluid filter leak

View my Photos
Justus

2005-12-10          120783

Is this the first time you've started it since changing the filter? Did you get the filter at the dealer or is it after market? If the gasket doesn't seat within the lip of the housing when you put it on I'd say it's the wrong filter. You may want to make sure the gasket from the previous filter isn't stuck there also. I also have a TC 33D and the squeal during cold weather was eliminated when I changed to a lighter weight hydraulic fluid. ....

hyd fluid filter leak

View my Photos
13n0brndngIrn

2005-12-10          120826

Odds are that you have installed a filter, NH part number 87300195. This filter is prone to leaking, especially in colder ambient temperatures and NH has discontinued its use recently.

See your dealer about getting a new filter, NH part number SBA340500890. A cold weather filter, NH part number SBA340500980, is also available but is a little more pricey. ....

hyd fluid filter leak

View my Photos
nhtc33d

2005-12-11          120828

Thanks for the replies. First, I would like to say that it was the HST filter that was leaking. This was the first time I had it running in colder whether since the oil change. It is a NH filter part#87300195. The one that is mentioned in the previous post. And no the old gasket was not on there.I guess I will be getting a cold weather filter. What a shame that $250 worth of synthetic oil is wasted.

Justus

You say you switched to a lighter weight oil. What weight and who makes it? Also, can you keep it in all year round.

Thanks again

hyd fluid filter leak

View my Photos
Justus

2005-12-11          120833

nhtc33d, it was the F200 fluid I used. I got it from one of the NH dealers near me. I wound up paying $200 for 10 gallons. As I said, it doesn't make the squealing noise like it did with the original oil but I think next time I'm going to see if I can find a similar fluid somewhere like Walmart. I'm sure there are others on this site that can probably tell you what a lighter weight hydraulic fluid would be at Walmart or somewhere like that that can be used.
Actually, under your circumstances, I'd be trying to get the NH dealer where you got the bad filter to replace the oil. I think it's the least they can do.
There is a lot on this subject in the "Synthetic Hydraulic Fluid" subject located to your right. Good luck, keep us posted. ....

hyd fluid filter leak

View my Photos
Justus

2005-12-11          120837

By the way, the F200 fluid from NH can be left in all year round. ....

hyd fluid filter leak

View my Photos
oldrental

2005-12-11          120858

Ask your dealer about problems with the hyd filter, they have had a few cases of faulty filters. Second the oil is made by several people, what your looking for if the pour rating. ....

hyd fluid filter leak

View my Photos
nhtc33d

2005-12-15          121145

Well I called the dealer and they said that the the NH part#87300195 replaces part#SBA340500890 and none of the old ones are available. So I ordered another one(87300195) and had it shipped since I live over an hour away. Put it in, ran for 5 minutes and pop. Same crap. These filters are junk. I called and told the dealer about it and he says its not the filter. I asked about the cold filter and he says he has a couple on order that are backorder. HMMMM. Anyway I called the next day and amazingly they came in(the cold filters and he only had 1 left). Had it shipped and now it is happy. These filters are identical to the one that came with my tractor. Hell it even says change after 50hours and then 300 on it. This filter is beefy with an o-ring instead of the flat rubber seal. I will probably still switch to the lighter oil because the 134 is like maple syrup that was stored in a freezer and that can't be good for the hst. I guess if my tractor was in heated storage I wouldn't have this trouble. Thanks again for the replies. ....

hyd fluid filter leak

View my Photos
Justus

2005-12-16          121170

I checked to see what type of filter I have on mine for the HST. It appears to be a NH filter because as you described, it has the "Change at 50 and 300 hours" on it. The way it was positioned I could not see any number on the filter. While you can picture the difference between what works and what doesn't, why not try seeing if you can find an after market filter like WIX. You'll probably be able to tell just by looking at it if it will work or not after just going through this. From what I've read they're a good filter. I have WIX as the Hydraulic and Oil filters right now. I don't know how I happened to have a NH HST filter and WIX for the others. I'd still be after them to give me replacement filters for the ones that blew out. As you can see from the filter numbers on their website, their filter replaces the SBA340500890. You can find a dealer near you. I'm just north of Scranton and get my WIX filters in Clarks Summit. I don't know where you are in NEPA. I'll probably get a WIX for the HST next time I change it. Hopefully it won't blow out. Let me know how you make out with future filters. Steve ....

Link:   

Click Here

hyd fluid filter leak

View my Photos
13n0brndngIrn

2005-12-22          121589

nhtc33d,

Your dealer is not correct. The 87300195 filter is no longer available. It has been purged from parts and the dealers cannot get them anymore. The only 87300195 filters remaining are those that are on the dealers shelves.

The tractors are shipped from the supplier with their own HST filter, SBA340500890. This filter will work in almost all situations, except the colder places in Canada where cold weather filter SBA340500980.

The dealer was not completely misleading you when saying that the fault did not lie with the 87300195 filter. The filter is specified to handle the pressure rating of the HST charge system. The relief valve just happens to be downstream from the filter, filter head and oil cooler. The added pressure drops through these elements are what the filter seal cannot handle. ....

hyd fluid filter leak

View my Photos
nhtc33d

2005-12-22          121596

Sounds like you know that my dealer was incorrect for a fact. So I am going to call him and give him a piece of mind. thanks for the post. He must of been just trying to get these off of his shelf. ....

hyd fluid filter leak

View my Photos

2005-12-24          121663

nhtc33d
I had a similar thing happen to me one time when I changed the filter. It turned out that the O-ring from the old filter 'stuck' on the tractor instead of coming out with
the filter. Put on the new one and started the tractor to warn it up and came back in about 15 minutes to see over
5 gallons of hydraulic fluid had come out. A simple thing to prevent, but I forgot to check the old filter when I took it off. Doesnt sound like this is your problem though.
Just a thought, and always check those old filters!
doc ....

hyd fluid filter leak

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-12-25          121708

As a point I am now looking for the silicon seals rather than the old butyl or styrene-butadiene seals on the motor oil filters. In hot oil they loose their elasticity pretty quick (see guide).
In the hydraulic system most are Buna-n or Nitrile. I have had to use regular butyl once or twice in none critical areas as I had an odd size and could not locate the buna-n or nitrile. You would be suprise how quickly they need to be replaced. ....

Link:   Guide

hyd fluid filter leak

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-12-25          121717

There is a new oil in the NH line-up and it is the same as the Case-IH Ultra Hytran. Good oil and about a 10 to 15 weight. It is not syntentic but has been used in hydro's for about 30 years with good success. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login