Go Bottom Go Bottom

FEL - jerky movement

View my Photos
jtfirth
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-11-01          118763

I recently removed the FEL from my TZ24DA and didn't use it for it for about 2 weeks. When I re-attached it, the lift movement was a bit jerky. It's still a bit hesitant at times and I've tried moving it up and down through it's full cycle a few times to try and eliminate the "jerky" pauses that occur.

Could it be air or dirt in the hydraulic line that's causing the problem? I use plastic connectors to protect the hydraulic fittings when not in use but can't figure out why it's acting the way it is.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks,

Terry

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

FEL - jerky movement

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-11-01          118768

Sounds like you may have gotten some air trapped in the lines and cylinders. This should clear after a few full extensions of all the hydraulic circuits. ....

FEL - jerky movement

View my Photos
beagle

2005-11-01          118770

Turn your steering wheel all the way to both extents a few times. This ussually helps bleed any trapped air from the hydraulic system.

You may still want to check your quick connects. Even with care, you can get something stuck in one of the poppet valves. Clean them off with a little compressed air and make sure they seat properly when you re-assemble them. ....

FEL - jerky movement

View my Photos
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-11-02          118819

check your fluid level ....

FEL - jerky movement

View my Photos
oneace

2005-11-02          118825

The TZ tractors have a very low fluid reserve. So loosing a couple quarts can cause some problems. ....

FEL - jerky movement

View my Photos
jtfirth

2005-11-03          118849

The tractor just had it's 50-hour service a few months ago and sits in the garage on a concrete floor when not in use. I'm sure that I'd notice any small leak, especially if it was about 2 quarts. I'll check the fluid level just to make sure though.

Thanks everyone for your tips and suggestions.

Terry. ....

FEL - jerky movement

View my Photos
jtfirth

2005-11-30          120122

I think I've discovered the cause for "jerky movement". When the temperature dropped below freezing the other day and I started the tractor to clear some snow it deposited a puddle of hydraulic fluid about 2 feet in diameter on the garage floor! Apparently the hydraulic filter was not tight enough and required an additional 1/4 to 1/2 turn to stop the leaking. Finished the driveway in less than an hour an no more visible leakage. However, I started the tractor the following day and another stream of fluid poured out for less than a minute and then quit. In total, about a cup of fluid drained. By the way, this is a filter changed during the 50-hour inspection and there's less than 70 hours on the tractor.

When I called the dealer to come and get the tractor he advised that there's a technical service bulletin about this problem for cold climate areas. I'm challenging the service cost for this problem since it didn't happen all last winter with the original filter installed and it's still under warranty.

Oneace, do you have any insight into this problem and how New Holland might react.

Thanks,

Terry ....

FEL - jerky movement

View my Photos
wr5evk8jj
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-11-30          120137

That is something very interesting to know about. I have the Case IH version of the NH TZ24DA, the DX24E. Mine is approaching the 50 hour service, and with winter coming on, that is something to keep track of after the service work. Thanks! ....

FEL - jerky movement

View my Photos
oneace

2005-11-30          120147

There are issues with the seal on the filter contracting in cold weather. The original filter that came on the unit is not the OEM filter that you will get from the dealer. There are two filters available for this and many of the New Holland units. Difference is the seal neoprene or rubber. Any issues you have should be covered under warranty. ....

FEL - jerky movement

View my Photos
44trxfun

2005-11-30          120149

"The original filter that came on the unit is not the OEM filter that you will get from the dealer."

How common is this? I haven't had this problem (not a NH though), but I would have thought the filter presumably purchased from the dealer for the 50-hour service would have been matched to the original filter. ....

FEL - jerky movement

View my Photos
oneace

2005-11-30          120150

Filter used in Japan for assy. Is not available here. To cost prohibitive. Both filter have the same filtration properties mainly just a different seal is use by the manufacturer of the stocked filter you get from the dealer. Which is why you did not have the problem prior to your service. ....

FEL - jerky movement

View my Photos
jtfirth

2005-12-01          120169

Oneace,

Thanks for the "heads up" about the warranty. I'm pretty sure my dealer will stand by his product but it's also nice to have a trump card up my sleeve.

Terry ....

FEL - jerky movement

View my Photos
Art White

2005-12-01          120251

The filter message I will also echo! Going beyond to the american after market is another step yet! All to often the after market is the first copy of and not the best for the long haul! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login