Go Bottom Go Bottom

Oil Filter Cross ref

View my Photos
JDLutey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-09-14          116421

Is there an Oil Filter Cross ref anywhere ?? (I've looked for 20-30 min & don't see anything)
Just got another filter for little Boomer (he's a TC33D). The dealer is miles away, and the filter sure LOOKS like a basic automotive filter. (Fram or whatever) Is there one that would fit? where would one look to cross-ref? JDL

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Oil Filter Cross ref

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-09-14          116422

What is the oil filter model # you are trying to cross reference? ....

Oil Filter Cross ref

View my Photos
JDLutey

2005-09-15          116469

Well, it's for a TC33D. the filter they sold me SAYS it's a New Holland 87415600. But, I don't believe for a minute that it wasn't made by Fram, Purolator, or somebody like that. It looks just like the dozens of "automobile type" filters, except for being white. (I think the one on the machine -- the dealer serviced it last -- is black though)
jdl

Oil Filter Cross ref

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-09-16          116506

How much do you pay for the oil filters now? ....

Oil Filter Cross ref

View my Photos
Chief

2005-09-16          116507

Hastings makes VERY good filters and your New Holland part # 87415600 filter crosses over to a Hastings LF563 ....

Link:   PART NUMBER: LF563

Oil Filter Cross ref

View my Photos
Chief

2005-09-16          116509

Messick's sells them for $8.99 each. Give Neil a call and see if you can get a price break if you buy a case or several other items. ....

Link:   Messicks

Oil Filter Cross ref

View my Photos
Chief

2005-09-16          116510

The General Store sells them for $8.76 each. ....

Link:   General Store

Oil Filter Cross ref

View my Photos
JDLutey

2005-09-20          116703

2nd.H.L. Thank you. The dealer charged me right at $10 .. I've got 2 dealers, just neither are closer than 15 mi. or so. I'll keep an eye for the Hastings filter.

JDL ....

Oil Filter Cross ref

View my Photos
lewy44

2005-09-21          116734

I am using a Fram PH16 on my TC33D. I haven't found a cross for any of the other filters. ....

Oil Filter Cross ref

View my Photos
Chief

2005-09-21          116735

I would STRONGLY advise AGAINST using a FRAM filter on anything much less a tractor. If Cummins and Diamler/Chrysler will void your engine warranty by using them; that would make them suspect to me.

Link:   TSB 09-004-01

Oil Filter Cross ref

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2005-09-22          116760

Randy is correct about the FRAM filters. They are not well constructed. Most of their models use a cardboard endcap to close the filter media and it is glued in place. All other filters from other manufacturers that I have looked at use metal endcaps.

In studies, most filters perform almost the same for filtration but not flow capacity. The FRAM filters that I have looked at have the lowest capture volume for particulate and when the filter is "full" it bypasses your oil unfiltered to the critical engine parts.

I use NAPA (Wix Mfd), WIX, and OEM filters. I prefer the NAPA Gold. I know more about the construction of the aftermarket filters, but it is hard for me to believe that an OEM filter would not protect an engine if used properly. I am not aware of any OEM filter that is manufactured by FRAM, but there may be some. ....

Oil Filter Cross ref

View my Photos
lewy44

2005-09-22          116765

Thanks for the input on the Fram oil filters. From the comments, I wonder just how many miles I could have gotten from my several vehicles if I had use good oil filters. I have a Mercury Grand Marque with 190,000 miles and it has never seen anything other than a PH2 filter. My Ford pickup with 160,000 miles has never had anything other than a PH8. My Pontiac Bonneville with 180,000 miles has had an orange oil filter almost every mile of its life. Actually by the time I get to 200,000 miles on any of these vehicles, I think I will be pretty tired of them.
I have been using Fram oil filters without a single oil filter failure for almost 50 years. I remember Fram on my fathers 1959 Ford Galaxiy and on my first car, 1962 Ford Falcon. I have lost track of the vehicles since.
Fram oil filters may technically be inferior, however the proof of quality seems to be in the reliability and performance. ....

Oil Filter Cross ref

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2005-09-22          116786

It's the same old same old - this one's better than that, can anyone show me more than anecdotal hearsay. What I want is a refereed journal article with some actual DATA! If they are so good (or so bad) why aren't here datasets floating aroung out there. ....

Oil Filter Cross ref

View my Photos
Chief

2005-09-23          116797

Ann............... I just did. I listed a link to a Technical Service Bulletin that was very clear as to what and why. If you are comfortable using a Fram filter on your equipment; more power to ya. My OEM filters cost me about $5 each. I have seen these filters cut open and there IS a BIG difference. ....

Oil Filter Cross ref

View my Photos
DennoAce

2005-10-03          117307

Coming from heavy industrial background, I know that BALDWIN makes damn good filters and makes OEM CAT filters...and that is good enough for me. They have a sweet cross-ref online. An even better cross-ref tool is FLEETGUARD, which makes filters for just about everything.

OEM filters are not always the best, as my own John Deere OEM filter test proved. Also, if you want to learn a few things go here:

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html ....

Oil Filter Cross ref

View my Photos
Art White

2005-10-03          117316

If I was in the market for an after-market filter I'd be after a Fleet Guard filter. They make filters for many manufacturer and would have the best chance of making the closed to the manufacturer as anyone. They won't be available in a chain store that's for sure. Filters are a tough thing to recommend other then the original manufacturer. With all the different filters paper density it can make a big difference between a 3,4 or 5 thousand hour rebuild or a 7 or 8 thousand hour or more. I guess if you look forward to only keeping something for a few years it might not make a difference. ....

Oil Filter Cross ref

View my Photos
Archdean

2005-10-03          117323

Ann most of this info is from studies done "last updated 05/25/99." While I am not disagreeing with anyone here what is not being considered in the posted opinions is many manufactures have either been sold or accquired by another and we simply can't say for certain if original specs have changed or not!!

The last info I was able to find mirrors the one "ed above and this is the updated version a-la 1999!! ....

Link:   Filter study

Oil Filter Cross ref

View my Photos
13n0brndngIrn

2005-11-05          118981

The filter is made by Fleetgaurd. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This