Go Bottom Go Bottom

Boomer Steering

View my Photos
Burgie
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-12-15          11088

Greetings all,Just surfed in from the John Deere threads and wanted to pose a question to Boomer owners. Seems that a lot has been written by JD 4xxx owners about turf tearing (scuffing) when cornering. Has anyone ever seen this problem with the Boomer series compacts? Thanks much, in advance, for any feedback.Burgie

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Boomer Steering

View my Photos
Richard

1999-12-15          11098

Burgie... This'll prbly set off a firestorm here... I got my new TC29D too late in the season to do any serious mowing, but it'll definitely make black marks on concrete (low speed) when turning at full lock, so I imagine it would damage turf too. I got mine without supersteer, so it has a very short wheelbase, just like the JD 4XXX series. I suspect the dirtly little secret is that this behavior is typical of any of the compacts. (Plus, my old Ford 8N did it too!) I expect you'll get other responses. My basic opinion is that if it's fine finish mowing you're after, you might do better looking at specific-purpose mowers. ....

Boomer Steering

View my Photos
Jerry

1999-12-15          11102

Burgie, I've got a TC25D/supersteer, with a 72" deck and I mow in second range
(5-6MPH)WITH R-4 tread and have never turned up any grass, I always leave it in auto 4X4 and haven't ever tried it with the 4X4 locked (No Reason To MowIn 4X4)
I can turn as tight as I can around trees and never leave a mark. I have heavier
soil (NO Sand) I'm sure others may not believe this but I test drove John Deere and Krapbota and the NH was the only one that wouldn't leave marks, maybe the supersteer is the answer?? (Just kidding about Krapbota) I like to stir things up once and awhile!! ....

Boomer Steering

View my Photos
Burgie

1999-12-16          11106

Richard & Jerry, thanks for your inputs!! I am buying a new home on 2-2.5 acres of completely un-landscaped land. I plan on using my tractor for a variety of chores including preparing the land for a new lawn (tilling, grading, seeding, fertilizing, etc), tilling for a veggie garden, yearly landscaping chores (planting, mulch, etc), lawn mowing, and snowplowing to name a few. I believe that all makes of compact tractors have their own unique merit and it is up to the buyer to select that which will suit his/her needs the best. Nonetheless, it is during forums such as this that the true colors of the machines come to light. Every salesman will tell you that their particular machine is the best....and rightly so I suppose. But for a $15k- $20k investment, I like to hear unbiased reports from owners in the field. They speak the truth without fearof repercussion or persecution. Lots of wind....but thanks again, guys...and to whomever else may post a reply.

Burgie ....

Boomer Steering

View my Photos
art

1999-12-16          11108

Burgie, with the merger of New Holland and CaseIH I think the future of the compacts in New Hollands line up might change. With having Case management running the shooting match and knowing that Case made the decission to get rid of the compacts they were marketing what might happen to the boomer? Other than the tractors with super-steer have been found to be to low of ground clearance for excavation work they do seem to be a tractor that has made a impact in some areas. ....

Boomer Steering

View my Photos
chris

1999-12-16          11109

Burgie,
If you plan on using a loader at all, you should be aware of the concerns with using a loader with supersteer. Since the supersteer axle sits about 10" futher foward than the standard axle, there is some concern with it interfering with loader operation. ....

Boomer Steering

View my Photos
Burgie

1999-12-16          11110

Chris/Art...thanks!! As a point of interest, if I decide on the Boomer series, I would purchase w/o the supersteer. Nonetheless, the info is nice to know!! And, yes, I would be using a loader as well as other implements!!

Boomer Steering

View my Photos
Burgie

1999-12-16          11111

Chris/Art...thanks!! As a point of interest, if I decide on the Boomer series, I would purchase w/o the supersteer. Nonetheless, the info is nice to know!! And, yes, I would be using a loader as well as other implements!!

Boomer Steering

View my Photos
Mason

1999-12-17          11176

I have a TC25D with supersteer, loader and backhoe. I highly recommend the supersteer even with the loader. I have a small backyard I have driven on fully loaded making tight turns and don't scuff the turf. The super steer is a super asset. Now that I have it, I would hate to be without it. I have no problems with the loader and supersteer. ....

Boomer Steering

View my Photos
Jerry

1999-12-17          11178

Chris What are you a John Deere salesman?? The supersteer in no way interfers with the loader function, If you don't know what your talking about don't talk!
The supersteer is the only way to go, don't buy a boomer without it!! ....

Boomer Steering

View my Photos
Jerry

1999-12-17          11179

Art, Remember one thing, It's New Holland that is taking over Case.
Jerry ....

Boomer Steering

View my Photos
Bird Senter

1999-12-17          11186

Jerry, are you a New Holland dealer or salesman? Or do you just think Chris and others should have no opinion? And if you're wondering, I don't own a New Holland, but I have operated my cousin's, with loader and without supersteer, and he thinks it's great that way. And I think it's almost as good as my Kubota. ....

Boomer Steering

View my Photos
Bill

1999-12-17          11189

Well fellas, The whole story behind New Holland is that it is too bad that Ford sold out to them. At least with Ford there was SERVICE AFTER THE SALE. Been trying to fix a problem on my tractor for 2 YEARS now with these IDIOTS from NEW HOLLAND. Not just the dealer, the FACTORY REP too. Don't get me wrong, the tractor is built well, just that there is a problem and the factory has no clue what to do, I guess something like the JD Steering thing. But they couldn't even tell me what would fit on the thing with other attachments on it that NH sold for the tractor. Maybe I just have a boob for a factory rep. I hope that is all that is wrong. But Fiat OWNs New Holland. They couldn't make a tractor on their own, much less a car that was any good. I think Ford needs to go back into the ring and buy back NH before it is to late. Jees don't let Bo see this one! Bill ....

Boomer Steering

View my Photos
Jeff M.

1999-12-17          11197

I hadn't heard of supersteer interfering with loader operation on boomers before this thread, but a local NH dealer warned me that he has had customers complain about belly mower interference with supersteer. Something like they couldn't raise the mower as high as on a non-supersteer boomer. You boomer owners out there: any experience with this? (Remember, this was a NH dealer who said it, not a Deere dealer!) ....

Boomer Steering

View my Photos
art

1999-12-18          11217

Jerry, Maybe you didn't read everything that the news had in it. New Holland was available from fiat and case and cat was the suiters. Fiat was not satisfied with profits of N.H. and something was going to happen. It was Fiats money not N.H.'s. New corporate headquarters are in racine not amsterdam. CEO is from case not N.H. I think it is a great merger and makes a new #1 in the industry and within a couple of years under Russo should be highly profitable and definitly a undisputed leader. ....

Boomer Steering

View my Photos
Dave

2000-07-03          17652

7108 vs 7308 loaders. I almost bought a 1320 before they discontunied them, & a 7108 loader with it. From what I've been ablw to find out, the 7308 loader was designed WITH the super steer in mind, THAT was the reason for the re-design of the 7108. the older 7108 didn't work as well woth supersteer. I haven't heard anything as far as the mower is concerened, but not having a non super steer to conpare with, I dodn't know. I will admit, that, the mower does not seem to raise as high as I thought it should, (I have super steer) but so far it's not really a problem, unless I'm in real bad area. You can always drop the mower off for such things. You can use the loader to help lift the front of the tractor to do that even.

Boomer Steering

View my Photos
Hans Top

2000-07-03          17670

I have had my TC33D for about a year now and it has the super steer. I am really satisfied with my selection. When in the auto 4x4 mode (turf tires)there is no scuffing at all by the front wheels(using a Bush Hog 72" rear discharge). The inside rear wheel will leave a slight mark since it is staying in the same place as the rest of the tractor is turning on the spot. If I select manual 4x4 I find that the fronts then really leave marks. I do not have the mid mount mower and I do have the 7308 loader. The loader main cylinders will not lift front off the ground but if I use the bucket tip forward it will lift no problem. I find the loader and super steer work very well and the set up is very manuverable. I would would chnage nothing if I needed to order this again.
Hans ....

Boomer Steering

View my Photos
charlie

2000-07-03          17671

my gun ain't loaded so nobody shoot me.i've got a 1530 with super steer and a 7308 loader.buying one without super steer would be like buying a car without a/c.the first thing i did was jack up the front end in the shop at the dealer and check the clearance.it looked good and have yet to have a problem.as far as the merger,case/ih is only involved in the skid steer line and fiat has been there for about 10 years.that's what my dealer told me.good luck ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login