Go Bottom Go Bottom

New to blue Tire choice

View my Photos
jschauml
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-03-17          108195

I just signed on a deal today for a TC24DA with 60" MMM-rear discharge and a 12LA loader with R4 tires. Trading in "something orange". Since 80% of my use is finish mowing 5+ acres both hills and flat, and 10% being tilling and brush hogging, should I stay with the turf tires instead? In central Ohio we get a minimum amount of snow, so snow plowing is at a minimum. Not much mud or "dirt" type loader work.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

New to blue Tire choice

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-17          108196

Turf tires are the optimum tire for grass mowing and leaving the least amount of foot print. In your case since you will be doing some brush cutting as well as some other misc. tasks; I think the R-4's would be a good compromise tire for what you want to do. I have R-4's on my 4410 and is leaves a minimal foot print on the lawn and usually only if the ground is soft after a good rain. Your call; you could go either way and I think you would be happy with either. The turf tires are gonna cost ya a few bucks more though. ....

New to blue Tire choice

View my Photos
jamese

2005-03-17          108197

R-4 also refered to as "industral" is the best bet,,it is passive enough on turf,,but somewhat agressive enough im mud and snow,,these tires cost a bit more,,but are usually worth it,,if you need a BITE tire,,go with the ag tire ....

New to blue Tire choice

View my Photos
dklopfenstein

2005-03-17          108202

I have a JD 4410 have used both turfs and R4s. No comparison on mowing...turfs win hands down. For other things except mud, turfs work well also. I feel they grip in snow better than the R4s also due to more rubber contact...R4s have too many flat spots that make them like "slicks." R4s look nicer and normally have a slightly heavier sidewall for extreme work, but for your situation, I would go with the turfs...without question. ....

New to blue Tire choice

View my Photos
BillMullens
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-18          108284

If you're not doing any garden plowing or work in the woods, I'd go with turfs...for the same money.

If the turfs cost very much extra, I'd stick with R4's. You may find that they are close enough in performance that price is the deciding factor.

Good luck,
Bill

New to blue Tire choice

View my Photos
jamese

2005-03-18          108287

DKL,,not to argue,,I still think the R-4 is the best all around tire,,it wont "slick" up as quickly as the turf in mud and snow,,(and it looks GREAT!) ....

New to blue Tire choice

View my Photos
jschauml

2005-03-19          108310

Well as of today, I went for the turfs. Main reason is most of the time I'm finish mowing. Also the rear turf tires are much wider and give a wider stance which is what I need around here because of the hills. Dealer said the turfs are heavier when loaded than R-4's. He also said if I did not like them that I could trade even for R-4's down the road. I need to mow most of the time in 4WD so I figure I'll get less "scuffing" with turfs while turning. Any opinions? ....

New to blue Tire choice

View my Photos
BillMullens

2005-03-19          108313

My biggest complaint about the R4's is tearing up the turf when turning, even in 2wd.

Good call, I'd say.

Bill ....

New to blue Tire choice

View my Photos
Chief

2005-03-19          108314

I think you will do just fine and be satisfied with the turf tires. I have had both and found each type to be more than acceptable for the tasks you are doing. ....

New to blue Tire choice

View my Photos
Justus

2005-03-19          108318

I have Turf's on my TC33D with 72 inch MMM. I'm pleased with the performance cutting the lawn and just as pleased with the traction provided while plowing deep snow. I'm sure you won't be disappointed in the turf tires for your needs. ....

New to blue Tire choice

View my Photos
earthwrks

2005-03-19          108321

As far as "scuffing" that depends on the steering and 4-wheel-drive system (don't know what system, if any, yours has). My TC33D with Super Steer (SS) has a torque-sensing mode and mechanism that transfers power to the front wheels if they slip--which is great when mowing in a small turning circle that the SS allows. The sensing mode works great when you get on new conrete and make a sharp turn--it doesn't leave scrub/scuff marks. It's as if it's in 2wd. If they don't slip they don't get power. Conversely, there is a 4WD lock mode and the power goes to both wheels---then you do get scuffing. In either case, power to the front wheels goes through the front differential and still allows for spinning front wheels if one loses traction. ....

New to blue Tire choice

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-03-19          108328

I've got R4's on my 4310. It was a necessary compromise as I mostly use it for mowing in summer, but other work in winter and spring. I've had no issues with tearing up the lawn, but in early spring, it will make some tracks when the ground is very soft.

Since you went with turf tires, you should have no problems. But maybe on a steep hill when it's wet. But then you probably wouldn't be mowing anyway... ....

New to blue Tire choice

View my Photos
kskwash

2005-03-19          108344

I think that you could go either way, and be happy with the results. I went with the R-4 tires on my TX30, because I do some finish mowing, but also have 6 acres of pasture that can get pretty muddy when it rains. The tires have done an excellent job for me when mowing, but I just needed the extra traction while working in the back pasture. Good luck. ....

New to blue Tire choice

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-03-20          108361

I couldn't help but notice that most, if not all of the R-4 votes came from folks with tractors twice the weight of your TC24.

My experience is that R-4's are simply too stiff for tractors in the under 2000 pound class. Your turfs are going to end up being the same size as many SUV tires.... so there is an abundance of economical tire chains available if you do ever need more traction.

I hope you will be happy with the fluid in the tires.... I found it to be a pain in the buttocks and swapped over to wheel weights.

My pics show my "turfs" on the same class of tractor. They are 35 inch steel belted radial mud & snow tires and I couldn't be happier with their performance.

I chained them up to do some serious snow plowing recently. Turned my Deere into a little dozer. ....

New to blue Tire choice

View my Photos
jschauml

2005-03-20          108364

DRankin..why did you not like fluid filled tires? I've never had experince with them or a loader as well. I've traded in a Kubota B-1550HST with 54"mmm and turfs on the front and some sort of Firestone Bar/Turf?? on back. The rears did fine but the fronts would gum up. I have some wet areas around here and now after rethinking, I might change back to the R4's. The dealer is not delivering until the 28th. He'll do whatever I want no cost change. ....

New to blue Tire choice

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-03-20          108368

The biggest problem is the weight, which you can't remove short of draining the tire.

You will not be able to fix your own flat tires. Any sort of tire problems will require you to wait until you can schedule a commercial tire service truck.

My tires weighed around two hundred pounds filled. They weigh around 80 pounds empty. If I have a problem... which I do about once a year... I can remove the wheel weights, unbolt the tire and fling it in the back of the pick-up and be on the way to the tire store in about 15 minutes.

The only way to get a 200+ pound tire out of the truck would be to use the loader.... but the tractor is now sitting on jacks.

Plus... no matter what they fill the tires with... there is no good place for that stuff to hit the ground. It will cause some sort of problem no matter what. ....

New to blue Tire choice

View my Photos
BillMullens

2005-03-20          108400

Tire manufacturers recommend weights instead of fluid filling mostly because the fluid changes the way the tire interacts with the ground.

Also, depending on what you use to fill the tire, it can ruin the wheel over time due to corrosion. After messing with some older tractors with filled tires, I said never, ever when it is my choice.

Weights are more expensive but better overall.

Good luck,
Bill ....

New to blue Tire choice

View my Photos
mrutkaus

2005-06-27          112821

Hi

Looking at CK30/25 HST. One big job will be snow removal/plowing on a very steep driveway.

I'm assuming Ag tires will be best in heavy snow?

When working in the woods in dry weather I also would think they would be more subject to puncture from roots/rocks?

Thanks for any advice, and also the CK25 vs. CK30...

Mike
Winchester VA ....

New to blue Tire choice

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-06-28          112860

If you are driving through heavy snows the Ag's should work fine.

If you are pushing a plow or a blower and running the tires on the cleared path behind the plow, there are better choices. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login