Go Bottom Go Bottom

TC D 40 Clutch failed due to corrosion

View my Photos
drdrctk
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-01-18          104408

Would any of this panel have any experience with NH clutch failure due to corrosion. We bought a NH TC40 new off the lot in 2001. (tractor is a 2000 year built) Within the first month we had the circuit breaker (8amp) replaced with a 15 amp by the dealer. Then last year, we had a 300 hour service done and was charged $600plus for that. Four days later the tractor would not start. ( brutally cold day,I kept a trickle charge on the battery and a heater on the engine) That episode was a corroded electrical controll of the fuel injection system (338 hours on tractor). The dealer said it took them six hours to locate a visibly corroded control. Now Dec 04, this tractor sat unused for two weeks. I went to use it and it wouldn't move. Turns out that the clutch had frozen due to corrosion. Now I am looking at a $1000 plus bill for the clutch replacement. You know, if this could have been prevented by a block of wood stuck in the clutch pedal, I think it should have been stated in the owner's manual. I have a 47 JD Mt and never had to block the clutch pedal. Any one else with a similar complaint. New Holland has said that the tractor is off warrenty and not their problem....I bought a new tractor just to avoid this kind of problem.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
oneace
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-01-18          104449

It is stated in the ops manual to block the clutch for long storage but 2 weeks is not really long. But I also bet your weep hole is clogged with dirt trapping the condensation and water (It is located on the under side of the bell housing and has a cotter key in it). I have yet to see a TC of any kind come in with a frozen clutch. I also bet the clutch could have been popped loose instead of tearing the tractor down. Basically you bypass the neutral safety Toe the tractor against something VERY sturdy get on the seat engage 4wd put it in a high gear push in the clutch and try to start it. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-01-18          104452

Have you spoken to the sub-contracted "customer service" people over the phone for NH? My experience is if you call then you get inexperienced people who don't even work for New Holland--they are sub-contracted help who are suppose to get you the answers you need (but not once in my case). So I went to the NH website and used the e-mail contact there. It took over two weeks to get an initial response, but the District Rep is finally getting some action for me (my issue was my new, extremely noisey, skid steer). My TC33D has a 2-year bumper-to-bumper warranty and a 3-year drivetrain warranty. What do you have? ....

View my Photos
oneace

2005-01-18          104468

What model skidder do you have. What kind of noises was or is making? ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-01-18          104477

Oneace
Please explain this blocking of the clutch for me? I did not do this and it will more than likely sit for anouther 2-3 months. It already sat since Dec.1 Anything I should do when I first try to get her going? I think I should of done more homework before leaving last month. I thought I would be back in 2 weeks and I was going to give it a final leave inspection and preperation but I never was able to get back up there. It is in a garage if that helps at all?
Thanks buddy ....

View my Photos
oneace

2005-01-19          104514

All you have to do is take a small piece of wood and depress the clutch and stick it between the clutch pedal arm and the deck plate. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2005-01-19          104515

ONEACE: I have a 2003 LS180 with 2-speeds and reg. flow remotes. The dealer has been doing pressure tests and the results aren't in yet. However, they did some noise tests and as I suspected it is louder than others. The maximum OSHA exposure level for an operator is 90 dB. Mine is just over that. The dealer is using a hand-held decibel meter which isn't the proper equipment (the OSHA regulation says to use a device called a "dosimeter" that straps onto an operator's shoulder that records the noise under normal conditions in an 8 hour day). ....

View my Photos
oneace

2005-01-19          104516

Is it engine or hydraulic noise? Sitting still or moving or all the time? ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2005-01-19          104518

The engine, as you probably know, being turboed is loud to begin with. The noise is a combination of hydraulic pump/motors "growling" or "groaning", typical gear teeth chattering at the flywheel pumps--just general loudness from the system. Like the salesman said to me: hey you're sitting on top of and in and around the engine and the hydraulic components." Yep, but this is TOO noisey. The nosies are especially loud (groaning gear chatter) when in high gear. Then you really hear the mechanicals lugging. It is so loud that a cement truck driver on a job with cement mixing with engine running could hear my machine in high gear 300 feet away as I drove way from him. He was so concerned he jumped out of his truck to tell me something had to be wrong with the machine as he could ehar it---and he remarked he has has been around a lot of "bobcats" and had never heard anything that loud. ....

View my Photos
oneace

2005-01-20          104572

That is something definitely wrong then. The 180's are loud but not that loud. Did you look at the new 185.B yet You can not hear any of the hydraulics on those and the engine just purrs.

Do you have a cab enclosure on yours? ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2005-01-21          104608

Yes I have the full cab enclosure. It helped somewhat but, again, I'm sitting right over the entire drive train.

Haven't seen the new .b's yet--wonder if NH would give me a trade in on it... ....

View my Photos
oneace

2005-01-21          104627

Yeah they will trade. The .B are a little more expensive but well worth the price. The power they are putting out is very nice. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2005-01-23          104784

ONEACE: Got the machine back Saturday. 3 other machines inspected were at the max. allowable sound level of 90 Db. Mine was 100! Dealer says Dist. Rep inquired if I was wanting to trade without me even asking---ahhh duhhh--of course! ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-01-23          104786

drdrctk, I am not familiar with your model tractor. In most cases there is an access panel that can be removed from the clutch bellhousing which allows access to the clutch. There may be a good possibility that you can do this and use something like some thin plexiglass wedges or some use a screw driver (I don't recommend this) and very gentley tap the wedge in between the clutch and that pressure plate and or flywheel to free the clutch up on the input shaft. You may need to rotate the flywheel several times to access all parts of the clutch disk for separation. This sure beats the cost of splitting the tractor. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login