Go Bottom Go Bottom

TC-33DA Selective Rear Wheel Braking

View my Photos
JackHardman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-12-17          102415

How can I maintain forward headway while applying the left rear wheel brake? Because the brake pedals are on the same side as the HST rocker pedal, Because my right foot is applying the brake, I have to engage the Cruise Control to maintain ground speed, but the minute I apply the left rear wheel brake the tractor stops. Depressing the Left (only) rear brake pedal disengages Cruise Control. I need a third foot to hold the rocker pedal down!

How do I make a tight left turn without scuffing at the front wheels? This is epecially a problem with Super Steer while trying to make a really tight left turn.

Seems like another ivory tower design to me.

I know that Kubota Grand L does not have this problem. J-D puts the brakes on the left side so as to not conflict witht he right fot operated motion control pedals.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-12-17          102419

Differential braking is a carry-over feature from the ole' days when farm tractors were used almost exclusively for, well, FARMING......

They were to enable course corrections under full power while, for instance, working the earth with a plow or disc's. When there is a big load being pulled the tendancy is for the load to steer the tractor instead of the other way around. In these circumstances the tractor's throittle is set with the hand throttle and the foot is free to use the brakes.

In the use of a CUT as a chore machine there is very little need for differential braking, but it is still offered on almost all of them, but today mostly Ithink because in other parts of the world these are STILL used for pure agricultural operations.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
denwood

2004-12-17          102436

So some manufacturers are following an anti-evolutionary path? They are getting rid of useful things and keeping useless ones. Gone are the 2 speed rear PTO common on older japanese tractors, good for low HP requiring attachments like cement mixers, water pumps, sprayers, small generators. Gone on some models are the position control 3 point hitches(to save a couple dollars). But still here are those dang useless steering brakes. I agree, they are all but useless with a loader on because of the weight transfer to the front, but I still like them for mowing and backing trailers in very tight quarters and in the woods to get closer to firewood. It was certainly a factor in buying JD. New Holland cant make up their mind, not that they even build them, but on the larger TC35 and up, cuts, the brakes are on the usable side ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-12-17          102439

You just can't believe how much fun differential braking can be under the right conditions.....

Every year I clear a couple of skating areas, one on my pond, one on the lake in front of my cottage.

At a moderate speed a one-wheel brake lock will make a CUT do the closest thing to a figure skater's spin you could imagine, it's true what they say, laughter IS good for the soul.

The wife thinks I'm an absolute nut-bar, but then she thinks that way most of the time anyways.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
nhrockcrusher

2004-12-17          102457

I find myself using the differential brakes quite often on my 1715. Working around the hills of northern Ky. the ability to brake an uphill wheel that is loosing traction is a big help. Not that I drive on slopes that are dangerously steep. I have a differential lock but find myself using the brakes more often than the lock. Think I would be disappointed ,in my application, with a machine that I didn't have the ability to brake a slipping wheel. ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-12-17          102462

The few times I have had the need to use it, I was sure glad they still had it. Of course I do not have your problem for I have a gear trany. There are somethings that should be on a tractor just because. Like your hydo, I feel it is creature comfort or a usless add on. It adds on to the price. That is only my feeling for hydro. I dont think I need it. Honestly I dont. Maybe it goes back to why we bought the tractor we did? Did you not know that the others had a better design? If so why did you buy the New holland? Better yet why did you buy a hydro? LOL ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2005-03-09          107661

My TC33D is the same way. At first I would throw my left leg over the hump an use my toe to depress the left barke. That didn't last long. Anymore I keep the cruise on, keep the pedals unlatched and use the right brake only. Gotta wonder who designs these things. Brokenarrow, did you noticee I didn't say "builds these things"? LOL

Hey brokenarrow, are you looking for a replacement for "you- know-what" that your neighbor used to let you borrow? My buddy bought my old L555 when I bought the LS180. ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-03-12          107816

Earthwrks
LOL Good one!!! I actually am afraid whats going to happen when I get back to work somewhere. I am supposed to save a quick 20K for 2 of the kids college fund. (we are giving each kid 10K for college) I already have the first kids put away so I only need 20 more. After that though I think the ls185 heat/air cab will be in my driveway ASAP. I need to controll my self and NOT buy it till there is a heck of a deal going and I hate to say it but maybe it would be in my best intrest to buy it right away if we back to work for cnh (if we get that offer before I get the new job). The discount is worth alot.
See I am talking myself into putting the toys ahead of even getting a job yet. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2005-03-12          107818

BROKENARROW: Keep talking! (Financial)Misery loves company! On a same but different topic, NH bought back my LS180. Hey, since I signed the papers the other day for a new LS185.B (read: one more loyal customer wants to keep us working---gee-wiz), how's about "walking" it down the line for me huh---buddy--a fellow TP.com'er? Why, you ask? I tested a new one last week and the paint quality was for crap---it looked like they used a DA sander on the cab with 80 Grit sandpaper to prep it. Then lighly dusted it with paint. Although, when the sun shines on it, it sort of looks like reflective DOT tape----neat-o--another one of Ford's "Better Idaes"! And the edges of the yellow paint you can still see bare metal. Uh-uh! As George Bush Sr. would say, "Not gunna dooo it" LOL

So what do you say---buddy ol' pal? It's supposed to be delivered mid-April to "J ann R Tractor L.L.C." in Monroe, Michigan. It will have 2-spds, regular hydraulics, full cab enclosure and heat, hydraulic-powered quick attach plate, remote battery jump posts, and optional heater for hydraulic system and engine (so they tell me).
Gimme somethin' good to say about NH :)
But seriously, can you find out anything?

View my Photos
oneace

2005-03-12          107833

He would have a long drive. Skid loaders are built in Witchata KS He is in WI. ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-03-13          107920

Earthwrks
Congrats! Oneace tells me (and so does my dealer) that the 185B is a HOT!!! skidsteer. I really wish the best with this one. Did you get cab heat and air? I tilled up a ground hornets nest a few years back while running the enclosed bobcat. I turned around at the end of the field and all my help was not to be seen. Found out why later! They were behind me picking rocks. LOL Love that full enclosed cab!!! I did not know I hit it.
After the dust settles and you get accustomed to it, I would appreciate an update.
Oneace is correct. We used to only build and manufacture/machine some of the valves for the constrction equipment in our valve room. Wish I could walk it down the line. I believe you can ask to do it yourself. Have heard that once in awhile perks are put in if you visit while its being built. (of course that is just a legend though) Ahemmmmm ahemmmmm. Tell your dealer you WANT to do it and see what comes of it? Good luck.
On anouther note, I have operated 4 different skidsteer brands. (This is not a biased opinion) I really do think the New Holland makes the best skidsteer out there for comfort, ergonomics and loading trucks. By no means am I an expert but judgeing from the models of JD,Gehl,Bobcat and New Holland I have operated I like the NH the best. Not comparing apples and apples though for they were all pretty much different sizes and options. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2005-03-13          107929

Yep, I got the enclosed cab and heat (last year I just ran the heater blower and an extra, small fan--that was good enough for me--$3200 for air cond. is way out of my budget--plus is sucks the power out of the engine--on a car it can be as much as 25hp). The dealer threw in the remote battery jumping posts and winter heater for the hydraulics and engine ($500-700 he says worth). New Holland kicked in almost $5G, and the dealer didn't give me A-plan like last time (new owners) but took about $2500 off list. Dealer gave me $19,180 and I owed $15,000. Payments will be about $85 more to $505 for 60 months and nothing down and payoff old machine included. Also got the hydraulic quick-tach plate which makes my aching back feel betta already! LOL. My brother-in-law works at the Wayne. MI Ford Truck Assembly plant so I know what you're saying about little perks. I bought a set of light-weight over the tire steel tracks and tried them out on my current LS180 and was astounded (dealer said "go ahead and use it--not worried about racking up hours until new comes in--just don't break it", he says--so what does my buddy do? he lifts a frozen block of compost half the size of the bucket, it rolls back over the bucket and pushes the cab window out--lucky for him he didn't break it--DOH!!). Anywho...we could drive over wet, soggy grass that I couldn't even walk on without sinking. In 12" of sticky mud the machine would still go. The only limiting force was the HP wasn't there to travel and push a big load. Can't wait to get the new 185.b as it has about 12hp more. The new rubber tracks LT185.B units are nice but I'm happy with this set up. Rubber track isn't always the way to go, especially with what I do concrete removal, demolition, etc. ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-03-14          108029

3200 for air? OUCH! I hear ya there, open a winda ya know! With out prying too much what would of been the cost out the door if you were walking in Give or take a couple of G's?
BTW
I hope your happy with this one and hope it treats you good! ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2005-03-15          108033

Brokenarrow: I ordered the factory hand controls yesterday for $420--instead of $1700 for parts alone over the counter. I'm still a little fuzzy on the numbers--"numb" is probably a better word. I think the basic machine dealer-discounted was somewhere around $28,700 and mine will be around $38,000. I did find Tarheel Equipment in the Carolinas on e-bay who had a basic one for $25,800, but they would only go $16,000 trade-in, wanted another $650 for transportation to Michigan (which is a fair price). My dealer gave me about $3000 more for trade in but not as good a discount. Plus Tarheel's District Rep was different than mine so they wouldn't have been able to work out a deal. Then there's the biggie ---SERVICE---. The Sevice Mgr. is pretty cool. He said they work on other dealers equipment all the time. But just like car dealers, just a fact of life you go to the back of the line for service if one of their (loyal?) customers brings one in. It can take a week or two for service as it is--so I can't imagine waiting longer. And the District REp is human (imagine that!) so future problems are more lioikey to not be rsolved to my benefit. Time is money. And the other thing is the dealer is and has let me use a rental for as much as a month while mine was being worked on. I bought my TC33D from them and got A-plan, so I can't b___ too much. It's a two-way street, but sometimes it feels like a Toll Road---only they own the road. If you plan on buying one check out www.TracksPlus.com --that's where I go tmy steel tracks for $1200. Simply amazing the floatation and traction you'll get. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login