Go Bottom Go Bottom

Tarheel Tractor

View my Photos
wbowhunt
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-01          75724

Not promoting or advertising, just took a look at the new ad here for Tarheel tractor. Looks like Corriher might be getting some competition. They have some attachments at what appear to be decent prices and some with free shipping.
Anyone have any experience with international brush cutters? I am going to be in the market this spring and have been looking at the King Kutter, but might have to llok at those.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Tarheel Tractor

View my Photos
brokenarrow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-02-01          75728

wbowhunt
I was looking at the 33 horse pretty seriously. Dont take this wrong but I decided on a larger one because I dont like the size (looks small) I know that is not a good reason but if you could answer me a few questions I would appreciate it. Are you happy with the power of the 33? How about the lifiting capacity, do you think you could use a little more. I was mainly concerned with the low weight of the tractor, even with 4 wheel drive when pulling a disk thru heavy ground cover. How or what do you use and how does it handle disking? Thanks alot. The 33 still may be on my list but it is fading fast, maybe when I add up everything I will change back. That is why I am asking about the power and uses. ....

Tarheel Tractor

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-01          75729

It has often been said that a small machine can do most anything a big one can but it might take a little longer. If you only need to disc once or twice a year a few extra hours each time may not be a big deal. Just a thought. ....

Tarheel Tractor

View my Photos
plots1

2004-02-02          75750

If your going to working 15 acers of ground I would get the biggest heaviest one you could afford. ground ingadgement is one thing where weight and power provail. ....

Tarheel Tractor

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-02-02          75753

wbowhunt, My brother in law has used a 5' international brush cutter for the past two years on his JD. He said it works well and wasn't expensive.
Dave ....

Tarheel Tractor

View my Photos
wbowhunt

2004-02-02          75760

Brokenarrow. I don't Disc with my 33. I use it primairly to make life easier with the horses. Moving manure, keeping pasture cut, etc. I have used it to move 20 tons of stone dust and plow snow and so far I have been happy. There has been one time where I was going up a slope pushing snow and the tires started to spin because I built up to much snow behind the blade and going up hill. For me the 33 is actually bigger then I need. Looking at what your needs and land are, I think I would recommend going to the 40. But like has already been said. It is all a matter of how much time you want to spend in the seat. The 33 can do it, it might just take longer. I actually was looking at the 24 and 29, but my dealer doesn't keep those on hand and he would have had to order one. When we got down to the $$'s the price difference with the attachments was only about $2000. I looked at this as a 20+ year investment and spending the extra now for the bigger tractor was worth it for me. Oh yeah one other thing, If you ever decide to do anything like Hay, the lower axle on the 33 can cause issues when working windrows. Just a note ....

Tarheel Tractor

View my Photos
TomG

2004-02-02          75763

One way of thinking about it is that there likely is a disk made that a 33 would handle. It might be useful to compare how long it takes a 33 to work the field at the ground speed and width of a disk that's right for it with the time it'd take a larger tractor. The same idea could be repeated for other work such as mowing.

A larger tractor that uses wider implements and may work at faster ground speeds is going to get fieldwork done faster. However, a number for how much time is saved over a year might help sort out if the cost and maintenance of a lager tractor is worth it. The limitations of a larger tractor also should be kept in mind. Jobs that take a lot of maneuvering such as drive maintenance, garden tilling and finish mowing may take longer. Finish mowing with a field tractor probably isn't a good idea anyway. ....

Tarheel Tractor

View my Photos
plots1

2004-02-02          75766

That sounds right Tom ,but I think brokenarrow was looking at the NH40 and It's not really classified a field tractor but is a little larger than the NH33. ....

Tarheel Tractor

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-02-02          75812

Please dont take my post wrong, I always seem to take the less expensive route and more times than not I am sorry in the end. I am here to learn about CUTS, not make them and no intention was meant. I have been told by many to get as much horse power that you can afford? The TC 40 is on the same frame as the 35 and the 45, so it is not really that much larger, just alittle more under the hood. It is only a few inches longer and alittle larger turn radius than the 33 so woods manuvering should not be too bad. What I was looking at was the lifting capacity of the larger cut. I may have a need for that in the future that I am not thinking about now and since I may not buy a skid steer if It is beefy enough to do some of the work I had planned for it.
Ok... I will let you all laugh just a bit at me so here me out before you start. My buddy has paid for his last 2 4 wheeler's by bear baiting. Now he bought a skid steer and has made roughly $200 A WEEK (AVERAGED OUT FOR THE LAST 2 YEARS. doing small landscapeing jobs. My area up north is growing with alot of absentee land owners/hunters.
Right now baiting for deer is still legal but SOON it will not and I am thinking that as soon as that happens alot of these absentee hunting land owners are going to want small food plots (and not want to do the work) (keep this between us now) I think it is going to be a huge cash crop in the near future and I was thinking I want to get a large enough tractor but still small enough to haul easily to handle putting in small 2 acre food plots. My best friend is a logger and we can team up since he has the equipment to clear an acre or 2 pretty quick. The money wont just be in establishing the plots but also in cutting and maintaining them. I know for a fact that trying to get a farmer in my area to do something for you (even if offered to pay by the hour, I have tried) is not going to happen. I am not going to get rich by doing this, just some pretty good money doing something that I like to do on the side. OK.... Now start laughing at my idea> LOL ....

Tarheel Tractor

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-02-02          75813

So what do you think?
I know I have alot to learn about the capability of these CUTS and I do thank all of you for all the knowlege you are sharing with me. Hopefully I can avoid some mistakes that others have made by listening to you guys and asking questions.
All I can think about all day long is getting my tractor and putting it in the field, is that out of the norm or is it a common bug that people get this time of year? ....

Tarheel Tractor

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-02-02          75814

Excitement and anticipation is a common affliction among the tractor set when getting your first tractor. I kept dreaming of work I had to do with a smile on my face LOL I don't smile when thinking of work too often.

A lot of guys think they will pick up some extra cash by doing work on the side and later conclude it's not worth it. That was my conclusion as well. I would have had to buy a truck and trailer to haul everything around, and then there are the extra expenses (fuel, wear and tear, maintenance, insurance for towing and liability, taxes, marketing, etc). On top of that you have to be realistic about how much time you'll actually have to do work on the side and remember you don't get paid for bid or phone time. If you have a full time job and you have work to do on your own property how much time will you have to do other jobs? Once you have those numbers you figure out a payback period before you are actually making a profit. The numbers sure didn't work for me. ....

Tarheel Tractor

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-02-03          75833

brokenarrow, I like your idea. I don't think you have prepare plots as large as two acres either. That's a plot bigger than 200' x 400'. Good deer plots can be much smaller. You could still get the acreage just with multiple smaller plots that might not require much or any clearing. A small, heavily built tiller that can handle a few roots will prepare a good sized plot quickly. I think you have sandy soil down there and things like turnips and rutabagas do well if they can get any sun at all. The deer love them. And clovers do well in the shade. A compact tractor could make this job a piece of cake. ....

Tarheel Tractor

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2004-02-03          75835

Wbowhunt, I have the IM502 (5' slip clutch model) for my JD 4310. I am very happy with it - but I don't do commercial work with my tractor and don't have lots of land. So far I used it to chop up 2 giant brush piles on my property. They don't allow brush burning where I am. Its cheaper than buying a chipper and gets rid of the brush quicker. I once had a Troy Bilt Chipper/Shredder (8 hp) that cost about $800 but it was a chore to use.

I was trying to find the official web site for International Machines but never had much luck. Does anyone know the web site? ....

Tarheel Tractor

View my Photos
plots1

2004-02-03          75838

Shortmagnum's idea is right, a full 2 acre food plot is pretty large and sometimes smaller plots will concentrate deer better, So several smaller plots are sometimes better hunting setups. but if you have the area to do a full 2 acre's do it.The more perrferd food you have you the more deer you'll have, Inturn makeing you percentage higher for harvest. ....

Tarheel Tractor

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-02-03          75911

Well its a thought anyway, LOL. All the hard work is coming back to mind now when I put in the last 2 acres. I dont know how to use the picture url but here is a url to my last turnip plot on Nov. 1rst.
http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/135668/0.jpg

If I can get a decent price on a RED (Case) 40 horse same as the tc 40 would you think it wopuld make a difference since they really are the same tractor? I had a dealer call me today and talked to me for an hour after supper tonight, I was really impressed with his dedication to his job, he was calling me from home! Any suggestions
Thanks ....

Picture Link
New Holland Tractors Tarheel Tractor

Tarheel Tractor

View my Photos
wbowhunt

2004-02-04          75929

My 2 cents on the red or blue deal is this. I too thought about red, as they essentially are the same. So it came down to price and the dealer. My decision came down to the dealer for two reasons. One the red dealer was not good at getting back to me by phone and two the red dealer what about an hour away. There are two blue dealers with in 30 minutes and one although not as helpful as I would have hoped was still the best. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login