Go Bottom Go Bottom

Making the deal

View my Photos
wbowhunt
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-12          70925

OK It looks like I am going with the wife to make the deal on a NH ( If it can be adjusted to fit her, I.E. seat / tilt wheel and she can reach the pedals and drive safely )
I read the thread on "things to have" ( some are the niceties ) My question is what as a new owner do I really have to have for those first few days / weeks. I already plan on getting the Manuals. But am just not certain on other little things. Suggestions?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Making the deal

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-12          70929

The tractor will come as a complete package pretty much ready to use. Take it home and start enjoying it.

Right now you need a tractor package and two hats. You can worry about whether you need a torque wrench or an powerwasher later.

Getting your half (or better third, as calculated by weight around my house) involved at this level is very wise. She needs her own hat or blue tractor mug. ....

Making the deal

View my Photos
wbowhunt

2003-12-12          70933

I really doubt that she will ever really get on use the tractor, ( She still has never driven the Ram and only used the riding mower about three times )but I want to be certain that she can if the need ever arise.
I take it from your hat comment that I need to ensure in my wheeling and dealing that there is no deal unless they include a hat and a cup?;-)
I was wishing I had the tractor last night as I shovelled 4 wheel barrel's full of manure and then pushed the wheel barrow across the pasture through the mud and muck to the compost pile. Every step of the way grumbling that I should have bought a tractor last week and it would have been one trip in 10 minutes instead of four in an hour. Soon Very Soon ....

Making the deal

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-12-12          70935

I have found the NH tractors to be highly adjustable for different operators, so I doubt that you will have a problem. My wife won't get near my tractor, but I am not complaining.

If you are getting some 3PH implements make sure that you get some lynch pins to attach them. They should give you enough to get started, but it does not hurt to have a couple of spares. I think my NH dealer has them in a bowl at three or four for a dollar. It does not hurt to have a quart of oil for the engine and some NH134 fluid around. Given the time of year, you should also probably consider some diesel fuel additive from the start.

Good luck with the new tractor. ....

Making the deal

View my Photos
Chief

2003-12-12          70937

Your wife too Mike????? My wife refuses to even try operating the 4410 or the Dodge with the Cummins and manual shift. What is it with women? I bet if the tractors came with an automatic potpourri insense dispenser lace fringe seat covers, flower pastel colors, optional child/baby monitor, and daisy print designer ROPS canopy; they would be flocking to the tractor dealers. I can just see it now........the John Deere FP4000 Twenty Floral Print designer Series "Women's" tractor. Might free up some time for fishin' for us guys? ;-) ....

Making the deal

View my Photos
Jelliott
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-12-12          70956

My wife could bushhog all day on my old 2240 JD. She likes mowing on the new B7800 as well, but, believe it or not, prefers the collar shift transmission on the JD.

Chief, she also has no trouble rowing through the gears of the NV55600 in our Cummins diesel Ram! ....

Making the deal

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-12-12          70959

My wife suggested the hydro in case she needed to drive the tractor. To date she hasn't gone near it, but I like the hydro. She only drive vehicles with manual trannies though. Go figure. ....

Making the deal

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-12-12          70964

For my wife, it is not about the gear tranny...it is about all those unfamiliar levers and her knowing that if she screwed up that she could do significant damage to us, the tractor, the house....

She drives a Jeep Wrangler with a manual trans all the time. But, she won't program the VCR, operate power tools, or take the time to learn how to use some of the more detailed features of her home appliances. She gets into her embroidery sewing machine in detail, however. I just don't think that she has any interest in these things. ....

Making the deal

View my Photos
Chief

2003-12-12          70967

Mike you have to take the bait & switch psycology approach. If we all make posts bragging about how great our wives are at operating the tractor, driving trucks, and doing FEL work; you can show them too your wife and say "see.....all the other guys wives drive tractors and trucks and such!" ;-) Just kidding. I bet that approach is more likely to back fire than not! ;-) My wife can drive a stick shift and she even got her motorcycle license while I was stationed in Germany. (she is German) I went through a long very detailed demo on how to operate my old cub 154 Lo Boy and she gave me the thumbs up "I got it" reply. I made special emphasis on clutching BEFORE braking and that if she did not the tractor would override the brakes. I put her on the tractor and she immediately went into something similar to when MicroSoft Windows locks up and must be rebooted. I had to reach over and stop the tractor for her before she ran it into a tree in the front yeard. She didn't even try to steer it out of the way. I guess she was terrified of the tractor and froze up. She has never tried another tractor since. I have asked her several times to try the 4410 but no dice. I suppose that I can understand that feeling as I went through something like this in flight school during autorotation training in the Hughes 269 trainers we used. With my size and weight and the instructor pilot portly heft, we put that poor little helicopter WAAAAYYYY over it's max. allowable gross weight and that helicopter would autorotate like a simonized refridgerator. In other words, things on the ground that were real small got big REAL FAST and this took a bit of practice to get accustomed to. I guess I'll keep offering and maybe she will take me up on it sometime. ....

Making the deal

View my Photos
plots1

2003-12-12          70968

My wife just loves using the tractor, As a matter of fact when she's a the property with me I don't get much seat time in. I think she figured out that the one in the tractor seat works much less. That's why she keeps it full most of the time. Bye the way she quite the operator! ....

Making the deal

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2003-12-12          70979

Ditto - my wife said she bought the 4310 for me. I got it with e-hydro and she runs it most of the time. I had 64 yards of fill delivered and she spread it during the week while I was at work. The only problem I have is she gets into too many projects and is always tearing things up.

I come home one day and there is a hole on the edge of the woods she dug with the backhoe. I ask her what it's for - she tells me the cat is getting old (16 years) and she wants to be prepared in case the cat dies this winter. I have seen the cat staring into the hole since then. Oh man! ....

Making the deal

View my Photos
kubotaguy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-12-12          71009

Wbowhunt, When I bought my B-7800 from Justin at Antietam tractor (I assumed that is where you were going) he gave me two free hats!!! My tractor came complete with the top link, lynch pins which the box blade was hook up with, plus an extra set in the holes on the 3ph arms. The tractor was also full of fuel. Looks like you may be a little late again as I see we may be getting more snow on Sunday. As far as the diesel additive, I don't think you will need it as long as you are storing the machine inside. I haven't used any and have never had problems as the temp. doesn't stay cold here for long periods.
Good luck and have fun!!! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login