Go Bottom Go Bottom

Wanting to take a leap

View my Photos
BeeFarmer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-04-20          26964

I finally saved enough money to buy a tractor. I promised myself that if I could save the money I would buy a new New Holland. Now that I finally reached my goal I hate to put out all the money to go for it. I am such a tight wadd. I have a small farm 15 acreas or so. I really like the 33 size wise but I have a 6 foot brush hog and hate to go smaller trator. The old tractor I have uses the six however.. it's an old 55 Oliver and a 4 ft brush hog on a good hydro would run laps around it. I also don't like the setup of the hydro peddles on the 33. The 35 is nice good peddles, just wonder if it will spin a 6foot brush hog... the 40 maybe the right size for the hog but.. do I need all that tractor?.. God I hate all these decisions. Ok.. if I gave someone 20,000 what would they do with it?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Wanting to take a leap

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-04-20          26970

Bee Farmer, I assume you have a light-duty brush hog. If that is the case, then a TC35 could handle the 6' hog cutting grasses and weeds. If you are cutting heavy brush you might be pushing the TC35 to the limit, and in that case the TC40 would be a better bet. Of course, for the extra money the TC40 costs over the TC35, you could trade in your old brush hog on a new 5' brush hog and buy the TC35. You would then have the best of both worlds. ....

Wanting to take a leap

View my Photos
BeeFarmer

2001-04-20          26980

Your suggestion is a good one to think about. My hog is a 6 ft Bushhog Squealer. I think that is the name. I'm not sure if it is lite duty or not I know I wore out the pto clutch on the old Ole with it. The Oliver 55 was probably 28 hp on the pto.. With your thought in mind... I then could actually get the 29 - 33 with a good 5 footer.. I hate those hydro peddles on the 33! My issue with a 5 foot on a 35 is the fact that the wheels are wider than a 5 foot hog making it hard to cut fence line or I am missing something here..

Thanks for your feedback!!
Confused. ....

Wanting to take a leap

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-04-20          26984

Bee Farmer, a 5' brush hog on a wider tractor doesn't make it harder to cut along a fence line; it just makes it darn near impossible to do it cleanly! :>) Sarcasm aside, the BH Squealer is probably the heaviest of the light-duty units - I just bought a 5' one myself. Here is something else interesting I just learned from a NH brochure. With the "rear tires dished in", the width of the TC35-45 is only 47.5" while the TC25-33 is 54.3". Doesn't sound possible, does it? It sounds like you can narrow the tread width on the TC35 to the point where you could accomodate a 5' cutter real nice. I assume ag tires, but can't tell from the brochure. This sounds like something worth checking out. Good luck. ....

Wanting to take a leap

View my Photos
mark

2001-04-20          26986

The TC35 40 and 45 all have the option to dish the rear wheels in or out. I just checked them out today and was a little concerened about the narrow width (I mow alot on hillsides)of the rear wheels. After talking with the salesman and checking out the rear wheel setup I bet you would pickup about 18" of rear width with the wheels out. (thats just a guess) But either way you do have two width options.

Mark ....

Wanting to take a leap

View my Photos
Kelly Carlson

2001-04-20          26998

I'm using a Landpride 2572, 72" medium duty cutter with my TC35D and have found it works fine for up to 2" brush and saplings. Cleared about 60 acres of fields that had overgrown for close to ten years last fall, with no problems with the cutter or tractor power. ....

Wanting to take a leap

View my Photos
Michigander

2001-04-20          27011

I am now pushing 50hrs on my TC40D. Very happy with it. I haven't done any field mowing yet but I opted for the 40 over the 35 based on 4 cyl vs only 3 cyl on the 35's. Don't know if it really make a difference though. I started looking at the 29's and 33's also but the pedals was a downer to me too. Very glad I got the bigger tractor. As far as the money goes. Do you claim farming on your taxes? If not, Put up some fence and buy a few beef cows or plant something. Then you too can be an official 'farmer'. I left half my cash in the bank, financed the rest. When doing my taxes, between the depreciation on the tractor and other deductions, I got almost enough back to payoff the rest of the tractor. ***This is not official tax advice*** ....

Wanting to take a leap

View my Photos
BeeFarmer

2001-04-24          27154

I went ahead and ordered a TC35D. The price for a 35 was 18,850.00 and the TC40D was 20,200.00. I hope I made a good decision! ....

Wanting to take a leap

View my Photos
BeeFarmer

2001-04-27          27293

Well..... shhhhheeeezzz.. The 35 came in with a loader and I understand the dealer got it from West Va. It must of sat in the rain for sometime as it had rust on it. I wasn't happy about it so I decided to pass on the tractor and get a new one off the truck. The dealer said that they all have rust and sit in the rain for a time. He also said he couldn't get another 35 or 40 for 2 or 3 months as they are all on back order!!! ....

Wanting to take a leap

View my Photos
JonB

2001-04-28          27312

Bee Farmer, lots of dealers have equipment sitting in the rain--and think nothing of it since many farmers leave their equipment uncovered. My dealer didn't quite understand when I delayed until he sold his last 4100 on the lot ... that sat in the rain for months. But I got the first one off the truck, shiny & bright ... no rust! I've had the same results with implements. Best of luck. JonB ....

Wanting to take a leap

View my Photos
Terry Weivoda

2001-04-28          27315

I agree with JonB. I keep my tractors in the shed or the garage unless they are in use. I know they're painted but if it sits out in the rain there are parts that start to rust. Tires that are in the sun for months also start to deteriorate. My dealer offered me a better deal on a 4400 that has been on his lot for 10 months. I paid extra to get all of the updates (and the telescoping three point and 55 amp alternator) on the new production models but just as important to me was that I didn't want a tractor that has been outside for that long. My new 4400 is scheduled to be built May 4. I don't even like the fact it will be unprotected on a truck for a week during its transport from Augusta GA to Minnesota. My wife thinks I'm somewhat out of control on this issue. But if you are going to spend $25,000 on the tractor and equipment it needs to receive the best care. ....

Wanting to take a leap

View my Photos
mark

2001-04-28          27325

Rust! I saw a TC40 sitting on a dealers lot just the other day that had a considerable amount of rust on it. My 6 yr old Cub Cadet barely has any at all. I am probably gonna buy a TC40D soon, but the rust thing concerns me also. Any owners of NH TC tractors having problems with rust? I do keep my Cub Garaged, but it sat outside for one entire summer while I was building my shed.

Mark ....

Wanting to take a leap

View my Photos
VT Steve

2001-04-30          27372

Don't know about the rust. My TC35 has none after a bit over a year in both inside and outside storage. However, in response to several of the posts in the middle of the thread --- Re: NH TC's WIDTH.
I have heard several times that NH publishes their data and specs re: tractor width in kind of an odd way. Apparently, the measurements they give are to the MIDDLE of the tire not the outside! I had always wondered when I read that 48" figure in their specs and then actually looked at my rig. I figured even if I dished them in all the way and cut the outside sidewall off, I'd still not get near that! This jive with anybody elses' findings/knowledege? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login