Go Bottom Go Bottom

TC48DA vs TC55DA

View my Photos
rudedog
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-12-18          102501

Wannabe first time tractor owner here. Could use your experienced comments.

Trying to make a decision here between turbo and non-turbo. I'm not sure an extra 7 H.P. is worth the extra cost in itself. And the turbo generates heat under the hood and would add cost to repairs, etc. I do like to do my own maintenance and that could be a little more challenging with a turbo.

That said, you'd be hard pressed to buy a non-turbo diesel car or truck these day. Diesels just perform better with a turbo.

I'll be using it for residential construction, trenching, stump removal, etc. My elevation is about 2500' above sea level.

And speaking of stump removal, I'm wondering if I'm looking at enough machine here? I will be removing up to 18-20" diameter Ponderosa Pine stumps (big tap root).

Thanks to you experts for your comments.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

TC48DA vs TC55DA

View my Photos
oneace
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-12-19          102516

We have sold many TC55da tractors but not too many 48 tractors. The EHSS is just too nice of a feature in it self to not go with the 55. Also the 55 has the same engine as the ls 170 skid loader so I can say with confidence that the engine is a proven power house and very reliable.

My suggestion would be to drive both of them and you will see the power difference. ....

TC48DA vs TC55DA

View my Photos
rudedog

2004-12-19          102548

oneace...

I hadn't been thinking of getting the EHSS (about +$800?). Not really sure what it does or how it works. NH website says it allows shifting forward to reverse without clutching. But that is about all they say.

I'm 43 and have never owned a car or truck with an auto. I like to shift.

Would the EHSS make me more productive, especially with the FEL? Does it eliminate clutching altogether? Does an EHSS TC55 even have a clutch pedal? How does EHSS work? (I like to know how things work.)

Thanks again.

TC48DA vs TC55DA

View my Photos
oneace

2004-12-19          102560

Yes there is a clutch pedal.

Basically to change direction forward to reverse or vise versa you only have to slow down and move your shuttle lever to the desired direction with out the clutch pedal.
The tractor will then slowly engage in that direction.

With the manual shuttle you have to come to a complete stop then change direction.

Either one you still have to clutch between gears and ranges. The gears are synchronized so you can shift on the fly but you still have to stop to switch ranges.

How it works is through clutch packs one for forward and on for reverse. ....

TC48DA vs TC55DA

View my Photos
rudedog

2004-12-20          102604

Thanks for the reply.

I'm still a little unclear on EHSS. NH website says you can shift forward to reverse with regular shuttle shift without coming to a full stop.

So it sounds like EHSS eliminates clutching on forward to reverse. And perhaps it makes for a smoother transition.

But it also sounds like more parts (dual clutch packs) and expense to replace down the road.

Do I have this right? Or is there something I'm still missing?

Has EHSS been around long enough to be proven reliable, long-lived, etc?

Thanks again.

TC48DA vs TC55DA

View my Photos
earthwrks

2004-12-20          102614

RUDEDOG: Have you thought about just buying a skid steer loader? I have an '03 NH LS180 turbo, 2-speed (newly released and changed for '05 as an LS185.B) and it will out perform a tractor of similar HP and size---especially for digging tree stumps, I use 48" long pallet forks and can dig a 24" oak stump in hard clay in less than 10 minutes---that's a root ball about 5' across. And I can load it on a truck quicker than you can get off and tighten a chain from a tractor---plus you will not be able to lift that same root ball which could be in excess of 3,000 lb. I also have an '02 NH TC33D and it has it's place in my excavating business. Put tracks on the skid loader and you have a bulldozer that'll pretty much go anywhere! Add air conditioning and heat and you are set. ....

TC48DA vs TC55DA

View my Photos
oneace

2004-12-20          102629

The EHSS has been around for many years put called power shuttle. All of the Big manufactures have it in many of the tractors. Every New Holland from the TC55DA up has it as an option. ....

TC48DA vs TC55DA

View my Photos
rudedog

2004-12-20          102631

earthwrks...

Interesting thought on the skid steer. I would love to watch you work a stump and learn a thing or two or three.

With the tractor however, I think I'd have more options down the road -- mower, tiller, box scraper, log splitter, chipper, etc. that I might want to make use of.

Too bad I can't afford both!

Happy Holidays to you. ....

TC48DA vs TC55DA

View my Photos
rudedog

2004-12-20          102632

oneace...

Thanks for the extra perspective and info.

Happy Holidays! ....

TC48DA vs TC55DA

View my Photos
brokenarrow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-12-20          102645

Rudedog
mower, tiller, , log splitter, chipper, etc. that I might They make all those for a skid steer also. IMO If I did not have farming on my mind, it would of been a skidloader hands down. In a way, I am a bit frazzeld still that I did not buy one. HEAT/AIR and cab. plus they are just plain and simple, more fun! I will pick one up soon though.
Anouther option. Buy that tc48 and pick up a used skid loader for the real nasty/bull work. You can get used ones dirt cheap ....

TC48DA vs TC55DA

View my Photos
earthwrks

2004-12-21          102653

I made a skid steer-to-3-point attachment carrier for about $200 (for a box scraper, and york rake). Works great---and talk about down pressure! My buddy has a pix of me pushing a boxscraper removing about 4" top layer of compacted clay from a 1000' gravel road---the clay was literally flying out the top of the box scraper becasue of the attainable speed, power, and traction. I bought a new cab enclosure on e-bay for $800 (even worth the price at $1800 new) and again from e-bay, a new cab air/heater for $125 ($3000 new). The kit was missing the air conditioniong compressor, but I just use the blower feature which works just as well and keeps the cab pressurized keeping out dust (air exits downward around foot controls) ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login