Go Bottom Go Bottom

S373D Overheating

View my Photos
s373dNewbie
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-08-15          173143

I just bought an old S373D and it runs very well, except for it overheats is about 20 minutes of running.

I have drained and changed the coolant and removed the Thermostat, to find out if that was the issue but the tractor still overheats. I have learned that the seller removed both the fuel and air filters, I assume to make the thing run better while selling, but I dont see why these things will cause it to overheat. I will obviously replace all filters and fluids but would like to find the reason for the overheating first.

I appreciate all advice. Thank you,

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

S373D Overheating

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-08-15          173146

Like anything water-cooled radiators tend to get calcified.

Might want to have a good radiator shop look at it and they might recore it. I hasd a skid steer that was 20 years old and overheated. Ii had them add extra cores to it for improved cooling. I wouldn't run it without a thermostat as diesels need a small temp range to run well. Too high they die; too low doesn't combust properly.

Other posts here for similar situations found loose belts, broken or loose water pumps impellors. Might wanna take a peek at those. Be sure to have a new pump gasket handy before you remove it. Also maybe replace the radiator cap and the thermostat with a known good one. ....

S373D Overheating

View my Photos
s373dNewbie

2010-08-15          173149

I think the next step is to remove the radiator and take it to a shop, like you say...

Also, I am thinking, since I will be in there, it seems like I just need to remove the fan, to get to the belt and water pump. so I'll take a look at that too. It seems that if I actually remove the pump and replace the gasket, I might as well replace the pump too. What do you think? Are there ways to inspect the pump without removing it?

Also, I would like to hear from others about the Thermostat, although I am inclined to take your advice on getting a good thermostat, I have also read elsewhere that it is not necessary and in fact, it does not come with models out of the US. Any other thoughts on this? ....

S373D Overheating

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-08-16          173152

I have no experience with your engine so I'm speaking in generalistic terms.

I don't think there is a way to check the pump installed unless you can see and hold the the implellor. The thermostat and pump issue: I have read here on TP that some older tractors have a siphpon-type cooling system and don't have pumps or thermostats. ....

S373D Overheating

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-08-16          173153

I have no experience with your engine so I'm speaking in generalistic terms.

I don't think there is a way to check the pump installed unless you can see and hold the the implellor. The thermostat and pump issue: I have read here on TP that some older tractors have a siphpon-type cooling system and don't have pumps or thermostats. ....

S373D Overheating

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-08-16          173159

There was thread here last week on hand help thermometer. Before I pulled out your radiator and such, use one of those thermometer to check your engine cooling system. Cool spots in the radiator and those areas are clogged. The temp across the radiator should make sense, inlet should be hottest area and so forth. You might can tell if your pump is pumping checking temp of hoses. You might find pump and such hard to find and cost of radiator more than you expect so get pricing up front. It could be you must have radiator core replaced or such but first wash the fins and such very well.

Just thinking here, how do you know it is running hot? Guage only or do you hear gurgling sounds to support the guage? If guage only it or sending unit could be bad and at same time engine could also be running hot.

S373D Overheating

View my Photos
s373dNewbie

2010-08-16          173171

I pretty sure it is not just a sensor error. I do get a warning light, but also, the radiator cap will start to burp out water just before the will come up. Also, the one time I did not shut it off right away, there was some steam coming off the radiator.

The hoses do get hot, so I will take that as a sign that the water is getting pushed throught the engine, and I have checked that the lower hose is not collapsing as I have read in other posts. ....

S373D Overheating

View my Photos
Murf

2010-08-16          173175

Quote:
Originally Posted by s373dNewbie | view 173149
Also, I would like to hear from others about the Thermostat, although I am inclined to take your advice on getting a good thermostat, I have also read elsewhere that it is not necessary and in fact, it does not come with models out of the US.Any other thoughts on this?

It's a fact that a lot of Asian tractors have no thermostat, but that is for two reasons that aren't really applicable here in North America.

First of all, their ambient temperature is a bunch higher than ours is, so they need all the cooling they can accomplish. Removing the thermostat means much better circulation.

More importantly though, they are purely agricultural machines and are never used outside of growing season, i.e. in cold weather where a thermostat is a big help to the engine in achieving and staying at, proper running temperatures.

If you don't plan on using the machine at lower temps, go ahead and pull it out, but I'd say you should find the culprit first.

As Kenny mentioned, an infra-red thermometer will tell you if there's any colder (clogged) spots in the radiator.

I'd also rig up a garden hose to power flush both the rad and the block. It's not unusual for people to fill rads out of ditches, ponds, etc., and the sand and sediment has to go somewhere.

Best of luck. ....

S373D Overheating

View my Photos
s373dNewbie

2010-08-17          173224

OK guys, Here is an update. I took the radiator off and took it to a Local Radiator shop. He cleaned, flushed and pressure and flow tested it and said it is in good shape. Charged me $30. Seems very fair.

I have ordered a new belt and have decided to not touch the Water Pump. I still need to get a filter and Thermostat, and probably a new radiator cap. But I think the guys at the tractor shops are nuts. What costs $8 at an auto parts store they want to sell for $60. And I am pretty sure they are the same parts. I have sold cars for over 20 years, so I am not afraid to pay and charge for service, but even I wouldn't be able to ask for these prices without blushing. Any thoughts on getting Radiator Cap, Thermostat and Filters from Auto Parts stores? I think it is just a mattter of matching size, temp ratins and pressure rating, right? ....

S373D Overheating

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-08-18          173232

A few years back a tractor sales man did his best to sell me on a Massey over a Case and when I finaly said ok what is the reason? You can buy the Massey parts any where. All Napa Dealerships have the engine parts. Now whether he was correct or not I don't know.
Move ahead for me to today. The tractor dealer who has done all my tractor repairs is also an auto parts store. Same building. If the part meets the specs it meets the specs. Guess the important word in there is "if" it meets the specs. ....

S373D Overheating

View my Photos
s373dNewbie

2010-08-20          173325

Thank you all for your information... I seem to have gotten the heatin issue fixed. To recap, and maybe help the next person to have this issue, here is what I did.

1. Removed the radiator and had it cleaned by a local radiator shop.
2. Bought a new Air Filter at NAPA... on $21.
3. Removed the Thermostat, because it had failed, in the open position. Will replace it as soon as I find it though.
4. Replaced the Belt. Also available at NAPA for $13.

The tractor now seems to be running just fine, except for the lower link that just broke. But that's an issue for another posting.

Thank you all for your input. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login