Go Bottom Go Bottom

Do I want a Massey

View my Photos
Mrwurm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-02-15          35621

I have priced and drove New Hollands, Deeres, and Kubotas. I have been impressed with all of them (except the price on the Deeres). We have a Massey dealer near me. The dealer wants me to consider his MF1240 Hydro. $18,500 with loader and turfs. Heres the point... I rarely hear anything on this board about Massey. Are they unpopular for some reason? Do they have poor resale or reliability? Any thoughts?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Do I want a Massey

View my Photos
JerryGoucher

2002-02-15          35622

I have a MF 1250 tractor. I can’t say enough good about this tractor. I bought it to work and it has done a fine job. In Sept 99 I paid $17300 for it and a MF 1246 loader. I said I work it and I do, I have put over 900 hours on it. These hours have not been just puttering around either. I brush hog, blade, plow, spray, dig with a MF 1217 backhoe and use the loader almost everyday.I wouldn't think twice about buying the same tractor again.
JerryG

Do I want a Massey

View my Photos
David Waite

2002-02-15          35629

I have a Massey 1225 smaller than the one you are looking at but I have no complaints with the unit. What made me buy it over JD 4100 was the unit is made of metal. I use it to pull a 5ft finish mower a 5ft blade for snow and dirt and a rotary tiller does it all fine I also use it to move my popup camper around the yard for storage or if it is to wet to get my van in the backyard. If I had to do it over I would get the same tractor and a 6ft blade and a bigger tiller than 50inch. ....

Do I want a Massey

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-02-15          35635

I looked long and hard at the MF before I replaced my last tractor. I brought the 1250 home for the weekend and experimented with it. I could have purchased the demo unit for 14.5K with loader and 160 hrs. I saw nothing wrong with the units. My biggest problem was with the ROPS it was too high for my storage area.
I suspect that one of the reasons less of the smaller units are sold is that they have such a good price on the larger tractor from Poland. These are the older designs with the Perkins engines. I feel most that take a hard look at the MF's opt for the less expensive larger tractors. ....

Do I want a Massey

View my Photos
Mrwurm

2002-02-15          35637

Peters, thanks for your input. I will have to inquire about this larger tractor value that you spoke of. As you know, many of us ' tractor guys' have no natural defenses against the "Bigger is Better" argument. ....

Do I want a Massey

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-02-15          35642

What can I say? My MF 65 sits in the barn next to the compact. I have had two old tractors with Perkins engines an Oliver and the MF. I doubt the Yanmar will last that long. The JD (Yanmar) burn 2x the fuel of the larger Perkins. ....

Do I want a Massey

View my Photos
Roger L.

2002-02-17          35677

I've a good friend who is a Massey compact tractor dealer, so I've gotten to follow them pretty closely for the last 15 years. IMHO, they are a darn good tractor and are every bit the match of the JD, Kubota, and NH. Somehow MF hasn't done a good job of promoting their compacts, but everyone knows the name. The compact engines and tranny are quiet, smooth, and reliable, and the MF somehow feels rugged to me - maybe some of the metal is thicker. The next is just a personal thing, but I sure like the MF seating position and control layout. If I were buying a new compact they would be right there at the top of my list. ....

Do I want a Massey

View my Photos
Scott S

2002-02-19          35722

This is good to hear. I am also considering a Massey compact, a 1233. I can get a new one for 11,000.00 here in Michigan.

I have looked at the others, the Deere, the NH and the Kubota. They all seem about the same, except the Deere and NH are more expensive.

I would like to see more info on the Massey tractors. ....

Do I want a Massey

View my Photos
John F

2002-02-19          35733

I bought a MF 1045 1987 model 35hp last year and am very pleased with it. I also don't know why they aren't as popular as others but farmers sure use them for a long time. ....

Do I want a Massey

View my Photos
Scott S

2002-02-26          35887

I went ahead and took the plunge. I bought a new 1233 yesterday.

Seems like a nice tractor.

Now, I just have to wait for the weather to get decent in order to use it!! ....

Do I want a Massey

View my Photos
Roger L.

2002-02-26          35899

Congratulations on the new tractor! I'm at least a little familiar with the features of the 1230 and the 1235, but I've not driven a 1233. I'd be curious to know what it was about that model that caught your eye. Did you get any attachments? How about power steering? What transmission does the 1233 have? ....

Do I want a Massey

View my Photos
Scott S

2002-03-01          35965

I had a 1954 Ferguson TEA-20 prior to this. I already had a 6' Woods Finish Mower, 6' Woods blade, and a 5' York Landscape Rake, so I didn't need to buy any attachments.

The 1233 is their basic model. 9/3 Gear trans. I was used to a manual on my old fergie so I figured why not on the new one. Plus, less to break.

Yes, it has power steering. Other than that, basically a 1235 with gear trans...

Nice, I used it once already to plow snow off my driveway. Very powerful, very quiet. I bought the R4 tires, with seem to get great traction. We'll see what they do to my lawn in a couple months... ....

Do I want a Massey

View my Photos
Roger L.

2002-03-01          35966

Scott, I'll be real curious to hear how you like it. Just for info, that's the same way I like my own tractors equipped: Power steering, standard transmission, and something less aggressive than an Ag tire. Sounds like you have the right implements as well. Now you can just sit back and enjoy the tractoring.

Do I want a Massey

View my Photos
Scott S

2002-03-01          35973

It's nice to hear someone else out there likes standard transmissions in tractors!! I thought I was the only one who didn't want a HST.

I will post on this post as time goes on. I'm sure it will be a great tractor.

Thanx for the kind words.

Scott ....

Do I want a Massey

View my Photos
larry

2002-03-01          35974

I to would not be without a "standard" tranny
Got one on my Cub 7274 -less to go wrong etc.
Plus I grew up using tractors with the good ol clutch
Hope you like your Massey ....

Do I want a Massey

View my Photos
David Waite

2002-03-04          36072

Run what you are comfortable with . I bought the Hydro so the tiller or future snowblower can be run at full speed with the tractor stopped. I mainly got hydro so the wife and kids can run it when I am not around, when you take your foot of the pedal the thing stops, the stick I test drove the mower had a tendency to push the tractor when you took your foot off the pedal. I hope you have many years of fun working with it. ....

Do I want a Massey

View my Photos
Peters

2002-03-04          36073

I got the hydro for the same reason as David, more flexiblity for the wife and kids. It is nice to know that the stick has less to go wrong? Most backhoes, loaders, large tractors etc. have hydros. If they are reliable enough for the larger equipment they must be fine for me, be sides running 2 tractors I don't get too many hours on either in a year. ....

Do I want a Massey

View my Photos
Scott S

2002-03-05          36101

I didn't want to start a controversy about manual v.s hydro...

And by the way, most large tractors have shuttle shift transmissions in them, not hyrdos. ....

Do I want a Massey

View my Photos
RoyR

2002-03-31          36911

I'm getting ready to buy a MF 1233 with bush hog and back blade. I have a very steep driveway in PA. What size blade to you suggest? Also how is the finish mower? Does it do a good job? How about the loader? Is it powerful enough?
Thanks
Roy ....

Do I want a Massey

View my Photos
warren

2002-04-01          36962

Their is a massey about 60 miles away. their is jd about 5 miles the case ih is 10 miles away the kubota is 35 miles away.So the availbilty of a tractor is usally the first consideration.
warren ....

Do I want a Massey

View my Photos
Scott S

2002-04-05          37089

I have a 6' foot Woods Blade. RB72. 272 lbs, medium duty. Much more rugged than the other brands I have seen. Excellent blade in my opinion.

I have a Woods Finish mower. RM660. 550 lbs., 8 ga. Again, well built. I have a gear box unit, they also make a cheaper unit that uses belts I believe.

Since I just got the 1233, I have yet to mow with it, so I'm not sure how well it will mow. I used to mow with a 1954 Ferguson TEA20 pulling the mower, and it works great on a few acres. ....

Do I want a Massey

View my Photos
JackW

2002-04-09          37199

Scott, let me know how that 1233 mows. I am looking for a compact right now and have priced NH, JD, and Masseys. My concern with the Massey is that it is on a much smaller frame than the others so I would like to know how it rides. ....

Do I want a Massey

View my Photos
Scott S

2002-04-24          37784

I have mowed twice now, and it mows wonderfully.

The only issue I had was with rough ride. This was solved by taking alot of air pressure out of the tires.

From the factory, they had WAY too much air in the tires.

I wouldn't trade it for anything. Great tractor. Tons of power for mowing too. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login