Go Bottom Go Bottom

Crop circles or Parasites

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-07-17          59717

For some inexplicable reason I am developing large circles of dead grass on the lawn. The first one I noticed was last year and I thought it might be the way I was mowing. They are circular some 20-25 feet in diameter and perfectly circular. I have had two this year. One circling a tree.
Does the crane flys worms make this circular pattern?
Do I call in the UFO hunters and set up a lemonaid stand on the lawn and charge for over night camping?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-07-17          59720

There is a fungal disease that attacks turf and kills the grass in circular areas. I can't remember offhand what the name of the fungus is, but I've seen it before. It's weird, the circles are PERFECT - but I've never seen them larger than maybe 3 feet in diameter.

View my Photos
Chief

2003-07-17          59725

Oh NO!!!!! Not the super mutant fungi attack!!!! Sure you don't have bears or big dogs peeing in your yard? ....

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-07-18          59731

I remember the invasion of the hairy cinch bug (love the name). They wrecked havoc with lawns down south awhile back and killed patches but I don't recall whether it was circular patches. Insecticide worked but apparently a bunch of lawn could be killed before you recognized something was wrong.

My folks had something like that at one place when I was a kid. Green circular bands that expanded and lawn in the centre died. Fungicides didn't do much, but something I'll call a hose aerator worked reasonable well. It was a maybe 8" tube on a handle that you poked into the ground and it injected water below the surface. I don't remember much about it but using the thing was one of my chores.

View my Photos
Murf

2003-07-18          59745

It's Cinch bugs for sure, get that lawn treated or you won't have one left in SHORT order.

Call any proffesional turf care (spraying) company, they will send someone out to examine the situation and recommend a course of action, if you're still not sure call a second company for a second opinion.

Then FOLLOW THE ADVISE they give you.

Tom is right, industry estimates say that approx. 25% of untreated lawns were lost to Cinch bugs in the last few years in southern Ontario.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-07-18          59756

I think the fungal disease I was referring to was called fairy ring. Who names these things anyway?

View my Photos
TomG

2003-07-19          59796

Fairy ring is what I was thinking of as well. Typically mushrooms come up in the outer part of the ring sometimes. The term came from early times when fairies were thought to dance around such rings at night. Now I've got an image of hairy cinch bugs dancing in the dead grass and the grass probably is creeping red fescue. Who names theses things indeed. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2003-07-19          59803

These are definately rings. They look like the dog has run around in a circle for few days. I have never seen any fungus come up at the edges and as I have centipee they fill in with risomes quickly after they are finished.
Can you charge tickets for the fairy rings? I guess it requires a different level of nut than the UFO buff. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2003-07-19          59804

I have a couple of big dogs, a golden retriever and now a german pointer, but I have never seen them run in cicles nor do they have problems with incontinence. With the heat it is hard to get the retriever run at all. He has determined that air conditioning is fine and has determined to plant himself in the basement. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-07-20          59832

I think I recall when the cinch bug problem first cropped up of hearing that the bugs could be found by running some soil through a screen. If that's what it is, you really want to take action quickly. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-07-29          60363

I used to have a neighbor with the same problem. It turned out he was drinking too much of his home brew and walking in his sleep to relieve himself in his back yard. I never did figure out how he got those neat circles going though. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2003-07-29          60365

I'm not sure I want to know what he was drinking that would kill grass after passing through the two-legged biological filter system...Did he make it himself? Was the final step of the process to pass it through an old car radiator?

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-07-29          60368

My lawn and trees are doing quite well with GENEROUS amounts of "processed" Capt. Morgan, Miller Lite, & German coffee. As an added benefit I can't begin to imagine how many thousands of gallons of water I saved from the well due to reduced flushing. ;-) ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login