Go Bottom Go Bottom

Goose Grasse and other problem Weeds

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-05-09          38412

No surprise but that photo on the Home page is a shot of a "grass type" weed I call "goose" grass. Its not crabgrass, it grows tall and proud.

I know we have talked about this before.

Last fall I sprayed roundup on the clumps of it in my lawn. I had about 50 cancer spots on a small section of my lawn, kinda like chicken pocs for grass. It was my experiment to see if I should do more.

I let the goose grass die and the grass that was in each spot, then I took and edging spade for the new seed. I put a good fescue down with Scotts patch to hold it ( a paper pulp product with seed and fertilzer in it).

Well, guess what? I watered it morning and night for weeks, and yes it germinated, but some sort stuff that looks like "thinner maybe younger" goose grass is growing up with it.

Not doing so good on this battle, I guess I should have done the roundup twice, a second time after I chopped the soil. This is much too painful, there must be an easier solution, like mowing it at 1" or spraying something on the stuff other than bulk murderer like roundup.

Dennis
CTB

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-05-10          38462

What type of grass is the rest of the lawn? ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2002-05-11          38470

The spot in the photo is TriPlex Rye blend a clumping variety. I think you have hit on something though. And that is that grasses grow by either of two types, one clumping, the other is rhizomes. In a 50 x 100 repair patch I did two years ago I planted a rhizome based blend, and it is so thick that I have to slow the tractor to mow through it, and I also don't have any of the goose grass in it.

My brother in CT has the same goose grass problem and he is the one who started me on the chicken pox cure of roundup patches, in fact he is still at it. That'ts interesting because my brother's lawn is tri-plex rye blend also.

So maybe if I overseed with a rhizome based seed I would choke out the unwanted goose grass??? hmmmmmm!

Dennis
CTB ....

View my Photos
Peters

2002-05-11          38476

Well not exactly my thoughts but close. With the Bahai, Centipee, Bermuda, Zoysia - rhyzomes there is herbacide that will kill everything but these grasses. All other grasses. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2002-05-11          38477

My brother tried a systemic spray I think it was called "Trimec" or something like that. It cost a fortune for just a small amount of the stuff and he said it did not work for him.

But some sort of blanket approach like overseeding to choke it with with mowing short seems preferable to spot treating by boiling, steaming, or roundup!

Dennis
CTB ....

View my Photos
Peters

2002-05-11          38485

No, there must be something genetically different about the rhyzomes. You spray it on an all the other grasses die. I have centipee and I was considering it but have not tried.
I have talked with other people that have used it and they say it works well. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2002-05-11          38486

Concerning the other aspects the rhysomes will tend to choke out all the other weeds. My biggest problem is the winter dormancy and how slow the centipee is to start up in the spring. For a few months my lawn looks like a weed patch, thus the other post to Zoysia to not as I am looking for a better variety to plant in the areas around my construction.
Eric ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2002-05-13          38558

I was at my brothers house yesterday and he is still attacking the stuff in spots with roundup. He thinks he is near the end of an 18 month battle.

He says he has gathered some new facts.

1) his next door neighbor whose lawn runs right into my brothers has none of the problem weeds. The only thing the neighbor did different was he had Chem Lawn for a year and he used Scotts Turfbuilder plus 2 (the Scotts product says it does nothing for the weeds I am after).

2) My brother got some other info based on 1) that two name brand chemicals "Acclaim" and "Drive" are available to lawn care trade people that may kill "goose", "barnyard" and "quack" grass.

I have no idea where you can get these. Any ideas?

Dennis
CTB ....

View my Photos
BillBass
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-05-13          38561

What kind of grass is your "good" grass? I use a chemical called MSMA on my bermuda grass lawn. You can spray it over the entire lawn and it kills "trash" grasses without hurting the bermuda. I believe it can be used on zoysia also. Not sure what other varieties is can be used on. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2002-05-13          38562

Bill,

I believe the chemical you are describing kills the TriPlex Rye blend, Kentucky Blue and Tall Fescue blend that I have in my lawn.

Dennis
CTB ....

View my Photos
warren

2002-05-13          38566

This a little off your subject but does anyone know how to get rid of creeping charlie it kinda reminds me of alapha but it starts out small area then it take over your lawn.
thanks Warren ....

View my Photos
Peters

2002-05-14          38592

Warren, who is creepy Charlie and how does he take over your lawn? Why does he remind you of Alfalfa? Does he have freckles and a little spike in the back of his hair?
Seriously, if it is like alfalfa I would think a weed and feed would take care of it. The herbicide caused the grass and weed to grow but the weeds grow but as they do not grow from nodes they grow in upon them selves. ....

View my Photos
crash

2002-05-31          39218

You need a professional license from your state to by Acclaim and Drive.

Just like a doctor needs a license to dispense precription medicine. ....

View my Photos
fk1-ft

2003-03-30          52196

in the uk I have killed rouge grass as you discribe with dalpon it takes about three weeks and kills it stone dead ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login