Go Bottom Go Bottom

field brush mowers

View my Photos
bigbukhntr
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-05-09          38393

i have about 4000 ft of fence line that i am trying to keep clear, after working most of last year cutting and removing all the thorny vines and cutting most of the tre stumps to the ground...i was planning on using my lawn mower to keep this area down, but after catching a coupla inch high stump and bending my mower blade shaft (not a good thing), i am considering a walk-behind brushcutter similiar to a tractor pulled bushhog, only much smaller (24"-26" wide) and of course u walk behind it...i recieved some literature from DR company, the literature makes it seem very good, and the price is relatively inexpensive compared to buying a few lawnmowers, and i noticed that billy goat company also makes some...

so , my question is : does anyone currently have one of these machines and what do they use it for, and would they recommend it for what i need it to do?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

field brush mowers

View my Photos
bubenberg@netzero.co

2002-05-09          38406

a commercial line trimmer would do better then any push, walk behind mower will do. i just disposed of one i had for 14 years and was used heavily every year. you are talking about stumps , mowers are not stump grinders but too many people show up at our mechanics place with blades to be unbent which is not a good thing to do they bend again the next time you hit something.

i have my crews work all the fenclines of large horse pastures with line trimmers rather than mowers, nicer job and less damage to the fence posts. ....

field brush mowers

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-05-09          38407

I also have 4000 ft of fence line in tough shape. I have rented the walk behind brush cutter and I guess it would depend on the type of fence you have.
For me I am think of employing Herbie. You know Herbie Cide. ....

field brush mowers

View my Photos
bubenberg@netzero.co

2002-05-10          38416

good idea if looks but practicality are important ....

field brush mowers

View my Photos
TomG

2002-05-10          38421

My neighbour sold a very old walk behind sickle-bar cutter last summer. It was the only machinery at a bush camp of a friend of his. I'm told it worked very well, although I only saw it noodling around my neighbour's yard a bit. Seems like a good idea although I imagine that today's corporate legal departments would all go into cardiac arrest at the thought of manufacturing something like that. It was an unshielded 2' or so sickle-bar sitting on the front of an engine that you pointed in the right direction.

Another neighbour down the highway sold a horse drawn sickle bar mower converted for 3ph use last summer. It might be an interesting thing to try for the job. However, practically speaking, rear dump rakes make better lawn ornaments than sickle bar mowers.

field brush mowers

View my Photos
bigbukhntr

2002-05-10          38439

actually the string cutters dont work very well....they seem to just wrap the grass around the cutter head and they arent able to cut the up to 1/2" thick vines which seem to grow faster then the grass does...

peters, what herbacide do u have in mind for ridding onesself of the nasty bright green vines which seem to wrap themselves tightly around every tree and fence post in the area? roundup just seems to feed em and make em grow faster! ....

field brush mowers

View my Photos
bubenberg@netzero.co

2002-05-10          38452

we use weed wackers every day for 20-30 weeks, each season. i would fire a person that would say that, led alone do it. i guess you are one of those people that goes full trottle, that causes the grass to wrap around your your weed waker. another thing you have to do is get#105 string at least ...non of this home owner stuff. ....

field brush mowers

View my Photos
MikeN

2002-05-10          38455

I have had a 12.5 HP DR brushmower for over 1 year. It is an excellent machine and will easily take down up to 1" saplings. I use it on hilly areas or tight areas where I would not want to venture with my tractor and brushcutter. DR has mede improvements to this machine in the last year including a quick attach system. I am very satisfied with their product and service. For maintaining a fenceline I agree with the others that a heavierduty trimmer (on wheels) and thicker nylon cord would be better. DR also makes a commercial grade trimmer with heavier cord. Refer to their website. ....

field brush mowers

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-05-05          54358

I use a Stihl FS 450K brush clearing saw which can also accept a line trimmer head. With the brush saw blade installed I have taken down trees 4" thick and it went through them like butter. You have to be VERY careful with these brush saws as they can kick out on you (similar to kick back) But they work great for clearing heavy brush and small trees and vines. Kinda pricey though. Around $900 and change but you probably would do better with the FS 250. Just a little lighter. The FS 450K weighs about 17 -18 lbs. ....

field brush mowers

View my Photos
mainiak1

2003-05-06          54374

I have a coworker friend that rented the Biily Goat brand
rotary cutter to cut between planted Spruce trees. The area
is about 3 acres. He was very impressed,he's in the process
of looking to purchase one. ....

field brush mowers

View my Photos
burkette

2003-05-06          54402

I have a DR Field and Brush mower that I bought 4 years ago. It has the 15 horsepower Kawasaki engine. It will do everything the manufacturer says it will. It is rather heavy and you can't fight it. I have no complaints. It is hard work in rough terrain, but it will do the job. Very little bogs the machine down. It even cuts wild roses, which ar my worst problem. The trimmer they make is not self-propelled but might be a better choice for fence lines. I use one on my barbed wire fence lines. Not nearly as much money either. ....

field brush mowers

View my Photos
Stan in Calif

2003-05-08          54492

The DR F&B Mower is a serious machine. I chose the 10.5 HP Briggs & Stratton for its lower initial cost,large displacement, crankcase capacity, and parts availability. It will do everything that the higher horsepower versions will do, just not quite as fast, as it is the same machine, except for the engine. The depth of cut is 4", so if you cut the stumps at ground level, you should have no problem.
This machine and a backpack sprayer will put a serious dent in your undesirable vegetation problem.
Even if you ultimately aquire a compact tractor, you will probably still have need for these two devices. ....

field brush mowers

View my Photos
Billy

2003-05-08          54499

I too am a DR F&B mower owner. I bought mine about 8 years ago. Believe me, it WILL do everything they say it will.

The only thing I don't like about mine is it has those skinny wheels and no reverse. Now they have reverse and those fat tires, so you'll have plenty of traction. I've moved stuff over head high, everything from vines to saplings. All you have to do is pull the lever, hold on and guide it.

Billy ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login