Go Bottom Go Bottom

Chainsaw won t start

View my Photos
DenisS
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-07-31          132815

I have a 5 year old Stihl Farmboss 290M. Never had any problems. It was recently moved and saw some storage under an overhand shed, not in a garage, where I usually keep it. I can start the engine, but when I press the trigger to get the chain going, nothing happens, the saw just dies. That's with the kick-back guard in the operating position. Is there anything I can do myself to get it going, or should I just take it to a repair shop?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Chainsaw won t start

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-07-31          132816

If it hasn't been used in a while today's gas doesn't store well and deteriates in a matter of months. It might just need cleaning if you feel comfortable enough mechanically to dissasemble and clean and reassemble. ....

Chainsaw won t start

View my Photos
dsg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-08-02          132895

Art is right. I'd just dump out the old gas, replace the fuel filter in the tank, fill it up & try again. If that doesn't work you may have an air leak in the fuel line.

David ....

Chainsaw won t start

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-08-02          132897

Did something build a nest in the clutch assembly? ....

Chainsaw won t start

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2006-08-02          132899

Before you start it can you rotate the chain by hand ? ....

Chainsaw won t start

View my Photos
Peters

2006-08-02          132900

Have you been greasing the tip? I am with Art if the chain is free it is likely the high speed jets. ....

Chainsaw won t start

View my Photos
yooperpete

2006-08-02          132901

My Homelite has a brake, how about yours?

Took mine in once since it seemed froze up, the mechanic smiled while unlocking the brake and passed it back to me. That was about a 5 second fix. Most likely it is froze up.

Chainsaw won t start

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-08-02          132903

Thanks a lot for the tips

The gas is pretty old - I made a lot a few years back (added oil) and hated to throw it out - have a half a gallon left. This chainsaw hasn't had a regular maintenance for a couple of years - I think I'm just gonna take it for a tune-up and get everything taken care of at once. ....

Chainsaw won t start

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-08-02          132907

Fuzzy math.

Gallon of gas even today, $3.
Oil for 2 cycle engine, $2.
Total cost per gallon, $5.

Cost to clean out old gas being used to save money, $50.

DenisS, that is why I went to syntehtic oil so one mixture was good for all my 2 cycles. Saved even more money by not using wrong ratio and buring up engine.

I would be sturborn enough to pour out the present old gas mixture, replace with fresh one and see if that does not solve your issue. It might not need a tune up.

Then use a gas stablizer when you store it again. ....

Chainsaw won t start

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-08-02          132911

kt

I'll make it a project this weekend and get back to y'all with the results. ....

Chainsaw won t start

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-08-07          133048

Well, I did just about everything my mechanically challenged mind could think of. The chain can be pulled easily by hand, I checked the brakes - this saw can be started in both modes so I tried both. I cleaned up the sparkplug and checked the gap - it's within reason although a bit wider than 0.5mm (maybe that's the problem). I cleaned the air filter and, of course, drained the tank and filled it with fresh mixture. The saw is as dead as before (even more so since now it won't start even for a second). The clutch assembly had no nests : )

As far as I'm concerned - it's professional-help-time now ....

Chainsaw won t start

View my Photos
Art White

2006-08-07          133050

It seems you've done everything you could. Good choice. ....

Chainsaw won t start

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-08-07          133051

DenisS,

Not being smart donkey here, but did you have it switched on? Sorry for the question. A small gas engine to me is hard to work on as you can pull it and pull it and pull it and well pull it some more.

Did you by chance see if your spark plug was working? Happen to have one for lawnmower laying in my pickup console to buy new.

You probably are correct on help. ....

Chainsaw won t start

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-08-07          133053

<<< Not being smart donkey here, but did you have it switched on? >>>

Geez. You guys are reading my mail. Been there, but in my case I misread the Japanese symbols for on and off. Finally went back to the manual and got it straight. ....

Chainsaw won t start

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2006-08-07          133054

Kthompson, that reminds me of the time my FIL brought a brand new Poulan chain saw to my house. He was spitting bullets and ready to throw it out because it wouldn't start. He had been pulling the rope all day long and had tried everything. I asked to give it a try - went through the steps and flipped the switch to "on" - and it started right up!! I couldn't stop laughing which made my FIL even more angry :) ....

Chainsaw won t start

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-08-07          133057

The confusion probably comes from those damned "international" icons used to depict switch positions. Those icons are universally indecipherable and thus fair to everyone. I've done the same thing on my Husky chainsaw. ....

Chainsaw won t start

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-08-07          133061

kt, thank you kindly for your advice.

although I am, as stated, mechanically challenged, my IQ does rise above the single digits. I did try to start the saw having the switch both "cold" and "warm" positions. There's no other on/off switch on this unit. I suspect a clogged fuel line or bad spark plug. The chain needs a sharpening anyway, so I'm taking this thing to a professional. In the meantime, I'm getting some excersize cutting 8-year old Bradford pears with a regular hand saw. ....

Chainsaw won t start

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-08-07          133063

DenisS,

Years ago one of my brother in laws and I were cutting wood. Took a refueling break and his saw would not start. I told him take mine and I will get your's started. Then mine would not start.

He did not switch either saw on and pulled until he was worn out. Probably we all have been there and done that, just hopefully no witnesses.

Seriously, your saw does not have an off/on switch? How do you switch it off? ....

Chainsaw won t start

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-08-07          133064

OK....... maybe it is my single digit IQ showing but.....

If there is no off/on switch, how do you shut it off when it does start? ....

Chainsaw won t start

View my Photos
Art White

2006-08-07          133065

Stihl and Husquvarna saws on most all models should start with the third pull when cold but yet run regularly. This means two pulls with the choke on with the second pull generating a fire or near start. The third with the saw on fast idle it should be running. This does include the model in question. When warm they should start with a single pull without being on fast idle just on the run position. ....

Chainsaw won t start

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-08-07          133069

well, this is all cementics, you're probably right, I just never looked at that thing as an on/off switch. The black toggle switch near the handle can be in three positions. The top-most is the "off" position and shuts off the saw. I don't think I can even pull the cord with the switch in the "off" position. I used to give the saw a pull or two in the "cold" mode, then move the switch to the "warm" position, pull it once and on it goes... but not in the current comatose state. I'll be sure to ask the repair man what the hell went wrong with this thing. ....

Chainsaw won t start

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-08-07          133070

I not sure where I fit in but it is my understanding you can have a very high IQ and no common sense.

Guess you could be low in both. LOL

Chainsaw won t start

View my Photos
Art White

2006-08-07          133071

You can pull it all day long in the off or up position! It won't start but will turn over. The next position is the run and the bottom is choke. ....

Chainsaw won t start

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-08-31          133865

DenisS,

Okay, what was wrong with the saw? ....

Chainsaw won t start

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-08-31          133867

I hadn't taken it to the mechanic yet - I need all my money for the house and I don't need the saw right away. That's what happens when you go into bioscience, most of the compensation comes in the form of intangibles, like the satisfaction of working on a worthwile project.

see the post by kwschumm:

money = work / knowledge

I have a bit too much in the denominator : )

Chainsaw won t start

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-08-31          133868

My client had a cheepy Poulan "Wild Thing" saw that wouldn't start. When she gave it to me, it was drenched in fuel and oil since she had it stored up side down. I sprayed the area inside the cover where the off switch connects to the handle and linkages with carb cleaner. Turns out the contacts either weren't making contact or were contacting and shouldn't have been---the cleaner worked. ....

Chainsaw won t start

View my Photos
reason201

2007-03-23          140682

Wonder if this saw ever started again? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login