Go Bottom Go Bottom

Winter traction on a Kubota B2910

View my Photos
ampebob
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-10-25          99233

I have a B2910 with the indusrial tire option. It's terrible when the ground is frozen--can't even move on hills. Can't put chains on the front due to zero clearance with the steering link. Possibly could turn the front wheels around. Any ideas wouls be appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-10-25          99234

Traction is a product of weight and the co-efficient of traction developed between the tire and the ground.

In english, unless you have a LOT of weight sitting on those, or any other, tires, you are going nowhere fast on anything that does not in and of itself have a lot of grip.

A B series is not a very heavy machine so you will need some help for sure.

I have found over the years that the best all round traction in the winter will be with turf tires with no chains.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
taheide

2004-10-25          99236

I personally have not had traction issues with my B2410, but there is a soloution to it. Have the rear tires filled with calcium and water. That would add several hundred pounds to the tractor, permanantly. It also helps to locate any leaks if you have one :). You didnt mention if you have an FEL on your tractor or not. I use a grader blade and FEL to clear snow from my property. ....

View my Photos
jarndt
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-10-25          99240

Building on Murf's response, a narrower tire will concentrate the weight of the machine into a smaller area, increasing ground pressure. Industrial tires are very wide. Maybe Ag's are narrower? But then again, adding weight is probably much easier and less expensive. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-10-25          99244

Have a look at my pics, my tractor is outfitted on the rear with radial snow tires. Might be a option for you....

Another thing: Some big tire tire dealers now have siping machines. The machine will put numerous razor thin shallow cuts on the surface of the tire making it more suitable on snow and ice. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2004-10-25          99252

I'd be letting the air down to a resonable amount to carry the load and give you the traction you need. The amount of air written on the side of the tires is for setting the bead and max load for the tire. I'm often into the 10 lb area to get them to have a full tread print on the ground. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-10-25          99269

Don't go too low on the pressure on those R-4's. 10 pounds is ok but no less than that.

I let too much air out of mine and it never went flat..... to stiff for that. Instead it just popped off the rim. I had to take it to a tire shop to get the bead seated again.

If I ever decide to remount the R-4s I will put innertubes in them.

View my Photos
beagle

2004-10-26          99274

I guess I'm lucky on this one. I plowed all winter with my 7800 and R-4's, and had absolutely no trouble at all. I use a 60" hydraulic front blade, and can push as much as 12" of wet snow. I didn't reduce the tire pressure or use chains. My tires are loaded, and I'm sure the extra couple hundred pounds per tire helps. I don't carry anything on the 3pt when I'm plowing. If anything, I would attribute the good traction to the gravel surface of the road and driveway that I plow.

I had turfs on my last tractor, and had to use chains to get good traction. ....

View my Photos
tsjr54

2004-10-26          99282

Or do what I did Just move farther south! Houston Tx. that
is, Had 1" of snow about 8 years ago and it only lasted
a couple of hours!! Not much of a winter here. ....

View my Photos
ampebob

2004-10-28          99384

Been on the road for a couple of days, hense a late reply.
Yes I do have a front end loader and usually have a tiller mounted to add rear wheel weight. I also have the tires loaded.
Guess the problem is related to the territory I live in. Basically in S. Eastern Ohio there just isn't any flat land.
A friend of mine with turf tires on an older, small kubota, resorted to chains on the front tires. Seems to work ok for him. As stated, My 2910 has almost no clearance between the tire and steering link. Just wondered if anyone had any simple solutions or suggestions.

View my Photos
taheide

2004-10-28          99391

Studs? ....

View my Photos
ampebob

2004-10-28          99408

Studs might help, particularly on ice. but probablyhard for the concrete barn floor to live with. chains are easily removed. ....

View my Photos
Ducati996

2004-10-28          99431

ampebob,

Are you 100% sure you don’t have enough room under the wheel well? I was sure I was in the same predicament, but fitting the chains with the tire pressure almost completely out (without breaking bead), fittings chains and removing any extra links. I aired back up and surprise, surprise had V-bar 2 link chains where I never thought would fit...Oh I forgot the tire was off the machine...Are your tires the factory stock size and what type?? You can look at my pictures and see my garden tractor w/blower. It looks snug doesn’t it? I now have plenty of room with no rub...

Ducati

View my Photos
jarndt

2004-10-29          99453

Ducati,

I used to have a WheelHorse with a front blower simlar to your Cub. I remember having all kinds of problems with traction, even with rear chains. That blower would just "suck" you sideways right into snowbank. You were totally SOL on any kind of slope. I praised the gods when I replaced it with my BX. Even though I'm only using a rear blade vs. a blower (too much $$$), the 4WD makes things happen. ....

View my Photos
ampebob

2004-10-29          99458

The tires are the industrial--dealer supplied option. They were recommended as less damaging to lawn/yard than agri type.
As for the clearance problem-the front tire has about 1/4" clearance with the front steering link on the b2910 hydro.
Haven't tried fliping the tires/rims, this may give adequate space--anyone try this before.

View my Photos
Ducati996

2004-10-30          99512

ampebob

I just re-read your first post and realized you have a clearance issue with the front tires. Dont bother putting chains on the front, the rears are more important anyway.
I would gather you either have a FEL, blade or Blower on the front. Once you raise that off the ground the weight will be on the front wheels, giving good traction. Most have chains on rears without any traction problems...

jarndt,
I honestly dont have any of the problems you mentioned having with your Wheelhorse. Zero traction issues and plenty of weight (suitcase & wheel weights)

Ducati ....

View my Photos
kubotaguy

2004-11-04          99822

I have the 7800 which is practically the same thing as the 2910 and I haven't had any problems. I also have the loaded R-4's. I have chains for it but haven't put them on yet. Last year I cleaned the parking lot (concrete) for our church and it was very icey. I didn't have any problem cleaning it off. We have plenty of hills my way too and I have always gotten traction. Sounds like your air pressure may be a bit high. I didn't even put anything on the 3pt hitch for weight last year. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login