Go Bottom Go Bottom

OK How do you Justify your Tractor

View my Photos
EagleAye
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-10-21          98935

I am on a 10ac plot, and have been studying Kubotas' for awhile. Was looking at an L series, but have probably settled on a BX23 with a belly mount 54", a Woods box scraper and 1 set of Bar and Turf tires + rims to start it off. How do you justify the price, and do you use them that much? I know it is a quality TOOL but $17,000+ in my setup is kinda making me wonder.

Problem is, I may be relocating, and don't know what kind of land I may have in the future. Is resale good? Havn't seen many for sale lately, so it looks as if people hang on to them. I was figuring if I had to immediately dump the tractor for quick cash, I would take between a $2000 to $3000 hit from what I am paying.

But sitting here on my plot without being able to do the things I want is frustrating. Mowing, moving and leveling dirt around property and house (change low spot drainage), general landscaping (planting trees, bushes, lawn, etc), extending rock driveway, trenching for drainage and sprinklers, loading my p/u with heavy loads, moving snow, making dirt track for kids and myself, possibly plowing for a small garden, etc.

I will probably go to the dealer tomorrow, but any input from members? My wife says it's a go, but I'm still hesitant and would like more justification for her and myself. I am not a 'Premier' member, so sometimes I cannot read the really long posts such as this one.

I could live without one, but have the money (a big plus!). And I have looked at the JD mowers at Home Depot, but it pretty much cuts grass, nothing else. I presently don't have to mow all that often. Prarie Grass in Wyoming just doesn't grow so fast, but regular lawn would, if it were installed. Lots of plans, but no Tool. And Renting would Kill me. I hate paying high dollars for a tool and having to give it back to the rental place. I like my tools and take psychotic care of them.

ANY input would be more than appreciated!!! And Thank You.
I may be a premier member soon if I find an Orange Toy in the garage soon!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
jimbrown

2004-10-21          98938

Well I thought the same way when I bought my BX22 but I use it every day for almost any of the things in your list. I can do things by myself using the tractor that I could never do alone. Just lifting and moving things makes it worth while. ....

View my Photos
n88wrl
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-10-21          98939

I had a similar concern for a similar-sized lot. We have horses and lots of levelling & bush hogging to do, and I guess I tend to 'over-buy' a bit. I don't think so in this case as I'm VERY happy with the L3130 I got. The comfort level knowing there is plenty of power to pull, carry, mow, etc. is big for me. No resale concerns. tho... Go with the L!

-Brian ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-10-21          98942

I use the same line for lots of things, not just tractors, all toys in general.

I say something like "Honey, I'm getting a little bored with my life, maybe I'm having a mid-life crisis, maybe I need to find a mistress, either that or maybe a [fill in desired toy] would take my mind of it. What do you think?"

I think she knows I'm kidding because her usual answer is "When is it being delivered?"

At least I hope she knows I'm kidding, she's a damned good shot........ Hmmmmmm.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
taheide

2004-10-21          98943

I was going to consider the BX model for my 5 ac horse farm, but after shopping for prices, and comparing I decided on the B2410, and with a King Kutter Finish mower, FEL and folding ROPS I paid just over 13K for it. The Bx was just a wee bit too small for me. The B2410 is almost just right, but I find a few times where bigger would habve been better. ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-10-21          98951

1*have probably settled on a BX23 with a belly mount 54" mower,
2*and 1 set of Bar and Turf tires + rims to start it off.
3*Is resale good?
4*How do you justify the price,
5*I have looked at the JD mowers at Home Depot.
6*do you use them that much?
EagleAye
===================
1*I just bought a new BX23 4 weeks ago. It's all and more than I expected.
The tractor loader and back hoe with a 60'' belly mount mower ran me 15500.
I would go with the 60" mower over the 54" one. It was only about a hundred dollars more than the 54" mower when I got my tractor.
I Got the AG Tires on mine and they seem to be just fine for me as I don't mow the lawn when the grass is wet.
2*I don't see any need for 2 sets of tires and rims. Who wants to go around switching wheels all the time anyway?
3*They do hold their value very well.
The down side to this is the high resale value can cause people to buy new rather than used. That's why I bought new. There wasn't enough difference between the new and used prices.
4*I justified it because It's what I wanted and I had the money for it.
5*If you want to see John Deer compact tractors you have to go to a real JD dealer.
Home Depot is a far cry from a JD dealer.
All you saw there were riding mowers because they don't sell compact tractors.
6*I have enough work to keep my BX 23 busy all summer next year.
I have 2 pole buildings to fill in and level up the floors before poring the concrete floors.
I have maybe 3 to 5 or more truck loads of dirt to move from digging 2 fairly long drainage ditches.
I want to line these ditches and I will need the end loader to back fill along both sides of the ditches.
I have yard work to do filling in some low places and I need to slope the back fill around the buildings so water will floe away from the foundations when it rains.
I have about 150 to 200 feet of ditching to remove 4'' plastic pipe and replace it with 6 or 8 inch drain pipe then backing filling this project.
I have an area about 100 by 100 that is densely grown up with 2 to 6 inch trees I want to remove and convert it to lawn.

My only regret is that I didn't get something like this 20 years ago.
I was dealing on a new kubota back then and got a steel it price of 12500 on a 21000 dollar Tractor with FEL Hoe and rear mount mower. It was the Biggest B series they had at the time.
The financing fell through and I never had another opportunity to get one until now.
I had the chance to get one now and wasn't going to let it get away again.LOL

View my Photos
jarndt

2004-10-22          98993

The BX will do everything on your list with ease. Don't be fooled by its size. Get the bar tires, they won't tear up the lawn any worse than the turfs do. Just leave it in 2WD unless conditions warrent 4WD. Don't bother with turfs at all. Don't worry about justification because if you think you can use it, you'll be very happy! ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-10-22          98996

Spend the 17,000. on the tractor and the same day spend twice that much on a new pickup. Take good care of both of them, keep them both five years then check the resale value. I drive bare bones pickups, a real nice one would be great, but WOW talk about depreciation. Just a little different view on the subject. Frank. ....

View my Photos
kubotaguy

2004-10-22          98998

When I got my new B7800, I figured to mow, plow snow and move a little dirt. A year later (over 140 hours) I have found so many more uses for it. I only use it during the weekend as it is dark when I get home in the evenings for most of the year. You won't regret your purchase except for why you didn't do it sooner. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2004-10-22          98999

It sounds like you have enough to do that the labor you invest in your projects would pay for the difference between the BX and just a lawn mower and hiring the work done. Go the 60" deck now, your lawn will only grow. ....

View my Photos
beagle

2004-10-22          99001

They are a lot easier to justify after you have one. There will be things you do better and faster, and things you would not have been able to do at all once you start using it. For us, it has been a little bit of luxury, and a whole lot of machine.

My wife would even mow tell you it was a worthwhile investment. ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-10-22          99066

I was going to consider the BX model for my 5 ac horse farm, but after shopping for prices, and comparing I decided on the B2410,
taheide
=================
I did just the opposite I started with the B2410 but changed my mind and got the BX 23. ....

View my Photos
cthonestguy

2004-10-23          99136

First time tractor buyers are like first time motorcycle buyers. You 'll get it home and get used to it and wish you bough a bigger one. I have a bx2200 and it's pretty much the same spec as the bx22 and bx23 minus the hoe. It has plenty of HP and torque but it's a dog when it comes to lifting much. 460 pounds isn't much when you have driveway stone or rocks and dirt. You have what sounds liek a lot of big projects. The bx23 will do them but it will take some time. If you have the cash, go a little bigger and you will thank yourself. I have a few big rocks that I can get in my bucket with ease but it won't lift them. It will push them from CT to CA but 460 is 2 of my buddies in the bucket and the 3rd watching. The BX is nothing more than a glorified garden tractor in my eyes. BX23 is a great machine to have around but the Manhindra 2015hst blows it away and is close to the smae price with the same warranty. Just my 2 cents from a differnet angle. ....

View my Photos
DK35vince

2004-10-23          99139

I'd be looking at something a little bigger than a BX for 10 acres, closer to the 30 HP range (just my opinion) ....

View my Photos
grinder

2004-10-24          99147

Sounds like you have answered your own question in your post.
Bought a 7500 last year, many times I wish I had the BX with a hoe.
Just go get it and forget it!
The feeling of acomplishment and value added to your property will offset any loss if you sell it later.
The Kubota is bulletproof!

View my Photos
Art White

2004-10-28          99380

One point on tractor sizing that nobody seems to bring up but it runs true in the auto and truck industry. To swap up is the least painful on the wallet as to if you buy to big and have to size down or buy another machine to tackle the work you were trying to accomplish. I've listened to the people that bought to big as well as to small and it sure does seem that to buy smaller then needed is less painful. To error is human...... ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-10-28          99382

From my viewpoint, I wouldn't purchase a CUT with less than 27HP. Mine is 27 and on occasion wish it were 30-35HP. I like the larger size frame with more weight to do the grunt work. For mowing, I mostly use garden tractors. I just picked-up another used one for $1,100.00 with 50" deck. I have a 72"MMM for my CUT and took it off once and never put it back on. Conversely, I've never taken my loader off. It is the most valuable asset. I don't mow that many larger open areas and by the time I use a smaller mower to edge it and go around trees, it takes longer than it is worth to bring out the big mower. If you are mowing larger areas, suggest a rear mower of 72". You don't need to justify anything, just do it!

Around the house, I like to bag my grass clippings and do so with a different garden tractor with 46" deck. It is hard/expensive to find baggers for larger size decks. I also mow ditch areas with almost 45° slope. I sit over the fender to balance it on a different "beater" garden tractor. Again, wouldn't do that with a CUT.

My circumstances may be different than yours but caution you are trying to do everything with one unit. Something must be sacrificed. I know there is a very large market for sub-compacts but it doesn't fit for me.

I'd suggest purchasing something slightly used. Let the other guy take the big hit. If you shop around a good deal should be out there somewhere. ....

View my Photos
plots1

2004-10-28          99392

I agree with Yooper, anything smaller than that and you might as well buy a garden tractor and save your self a ton of bucks.I went from a 30 horse to a 56 horse and have no regrets at all.but not everyone has or does the same duties with a tractor. having to large of a tractor just don't seem possible to me. ....

View my Photos
kyvette

2004-10-28          99401

Two years ago we brought a 3 acre tract of land to build a new house. My wife ask how I was going to keep it mowed. I told her the person I brought the land from agreed to mow it the next summer.

In the mean time I would make it a point to look at compact tractors whenever she was with me. I had a small ford garden tractor that was 16 years old and I let her mow some. She soon realized I needed a new tractor.

This past spring I had to do considerable maintenance to the old ford and told her it probably wouldn't last the summer and there was no way it could mow the 2 acres I live on and the new lot.

One thing led to another and after looking at used tractors, primarily B7100's, she said why not buy new instead of paying $5 -$6K for a 12 year old used tractor.

I then visited the NH dealer and the Kubota dealer and settled on a NH TZ24DA with 60" mmm. It was a hard decision but the NH dealer, in my opinion, was the better choice.

Now I have to take her on a winter cruise to the Caribbean. Such is life. ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2004-10-28          99406

There's been many posts but you should consider stepping up a notch in size. I've got 20 acres with 3 acres of it in grass. The 72" mid-mower saves me so much time that the wife and I ended up thinking "why did we wait so long?" She prefers using the new machine (JD 4310) so I usually get stuck with the old lawn mower.

Don't worry about brand preferences. Get what brand you like from a dealer that will take care of you.

As for uses, you will find more and more as you go. From what you described as your plans, I'd step up a size. A more powerful tractor will so all the work of a smaller one. A smaller one can't do the work of a bigger one.

Another option is to lay out the financials to see if the cost is justified. What would it cost to rent equipment for everything you want to do? What is your time worth to you? The time to go rent something and bring it home and take it back. Consider the time in using the equipment. Would a bigger machine cut down the time? I cut my mowing time in half or more with the new machine. That's a major gain when you consider I used to spend about 8 hours mowing.

New vs used: Nothing wrong with used. But I went with new because if I'm out of town for work, woman has to be able to use it to move thw snow. ....

View my Photos
jtfirth

2004-10-28          99430

There's no way that I can justify our new NH TZ24 (60" MMM)but after mowing the entire lawn in less than 1/2 the time it takes with my Craftsman DLT 2000 (48" deck) I'm sure my better half will take ownership of the NH "PDQ".

So far, this is one of the best investments ever! It's starting to get a bit "cool" in eastern Ontario but I plan to put this little beast "to the test" this weekend by removing surface rocks and scrub brush. The FEL hasn't been used yet, but by Monday morning it should show it's stripes.

So far, this machine has been a pleasure! BTW, the dealer is #1. ....

View my Photos
kyvette

2004-10-29          99455

Jtfirth, I will be interested in how the tractor handles the FEL. I didn't purchase one, but may in the future. My next purchase is a rear blade.

Today's high is forecast for 75, about 10 - 12 degrees above normal. We have had several days of rain, which means, I will probably have to mow through November, but with the new tractor it's enjoyment.

Have a good weekend, Dave ....

View my Photos
dklopfenstein

2004-11-07          100018

I can honestly say that I really did not need a CUT because I managed 9 years without one. (Lots of shovel and wheelbarrow work however...and I am not getting any younger.) Once you get one, you will be able to get many jobs done at least twice as fast...some much faster than that. I agree with the bigger tractor statements already posted. You can go too big but I found the mid-size Deere is an all-around great performer. I always look forward to getting behind the wheel to do everything from mowing, to grading the drive, pushing snow, and my daughter loves to take rides also. I haven't ever wished for anything else. Did you know that Deere's newly styled '05 mid-sized models will be...TURBO CHARGED!!!! Can't wait to see what these can do. Tractors and loaders look just like the new 20 series only smaller. Also, now they have a 3 year warranty as well. Go for it because you really will use it almost daily. ....

View my Photos
jtfirth

2004-11-08          100044

kyvette, the FEL on the TZ24 works great! I have less than 10 hours of seat time and on the machine but I'm getting real comfortable with it's operation. I'll be using it this winter to partially plow the driveway and finish the task with a 50" rear-mounted Buhler snowblower.

I've used the loader to move a pile of top soil and also to remove some scrub brush as well as a few hefty rocks. I wouldn't be without this attachment. It's also easy to attach and detach, taking only a few minutes the first time. ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2004-11-08          100059

I have done more jobs with my JD4310 than I would have ever imagined on my little 2 acre lot. Yesterday my wife informs me that she had 200 or so bulbs she wants to plant - this surprise happens every year. She says the soil is soft and I should just need a shovel and a few minutes - yeah I've heard that same old story 1000 times in our 23 years of marriage and living on rocky New York soil. Instead I got the backhoe out - scraped 6 inches down - held the soil in the bucket while the wife did the planting - then dropped the soil back on top of the bulbs. A typical day in the life of CUT ownership. A potential disaster of a day turned into fun! What is the tractor worth? A million dollars! ....

View my Photos
beagle

2004-11-08          100061

Justify...moved, spread, and final graded 80 yards if fill this week. Do that with your wheelbarrow and rake and you won't be chatting on the internet the next day.

Seriously, the longer you own them, the easier thay are to justify. Put 80hrs on our latest tractor since December 2003. 80 hrs of pure fun! ....

View my Photos
jarndt

2004-11-08          100062

Planted three Black Walnut saplings (5'-8' tall) this Sunday with the aid of my BX1500. No backhoe... I used a rear blade tilted up at an angle and ripped a "gash" into the ground for each tree. Then, I lashed the root ball to the blade, lifted it out of the trailer and lowered it into the hole. Finally, I reversed the blade and pushed all the dirt back in. Hardly broke a sweat! I love that little machine like a brother. ....

View my Photos
taheide

2004-11-08          100071

Over 190 hours on my B2410 since I got it 2 years ago. Cleaning stalls is much easier, just toss the crap out into the aisle(concrete floors) then scoop it up with the bucket and move it out to the pile. The pile is well over 8' tall by now and at least 10'wide by 20' long. Try moving a wheelbarrow up that! The past weekend and this last weekend I spent time putting in an arena. It is 80' x 140', and got 8 truckloads of ag-lime dumped in there. Spreading with a landscape rake and the bucket sure is much easier than doing it by hand! Also mowing 3 acres of grass is much easier. I would say it has been the best purchase I have ever made. ....

View my Photos
lucerne

2004-11-09          100121

Justify?? Yes the tractor will do work around the yard, but chances are you can get that 1/4 acre mowed for 30 to 50 bucks in a few minutes by a tractor for hire. Or the garden tilled for about the same amount, how many years would it take to pay for the tiller alone? How long would it take to pay for a winch if you cut your own firewood or a pto chipper compared to renting one once a year. In all honesty, you didn't buy it to make or save money. Doing what you do, carpenter, lawyer, trucker, thats what makes you money to enjoy the tractor. Compared to other hobbies, racing,flying,etc. it's pretty reasonable dollar for dollar. My point is it's something you enjoy, life is short and if you can move and spread a pile of dirt and it puts a smile on your face the tractor is justfied. ....

View my Photos
jarndt

2004-11-10          100135

Well said. A typical homeowner or hobby farmer is never going to see a monitary ROI. The only exception being sweat equity with the aid of your machine (in place of a paid contractor) to increase the value of your property. But that doesn't say anything about the value of personal enjoyment! Heck, I'd rather go out and play in the dirt than drop $200 on a trip to an amusement park any day! ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-11-10          100136

Everyone needs a form of relaxation to enjoy life and gain peace of mind. Some have boats, motorhomes, horses, etc., etc. I have none of the things mentioned and have no criticisims of those who do, that's their form of relaxation. We have a small home on the lake that the wife and I both enjoy much as possible during the summer. I guess my greatest form of relaxation and peace of mind is just mowing a ditch, digging a hole with the hoe, cleaning an old fencerow, etc., with nobody to answer to except the man above. That's my justification for the CUT's. Frank. ....

View my Photos
plots1

2004-11-10          100139

I think the last two post summed it up real well, doing things on the tractor is a lot af fun and it would be ashamed to have to wait for someone to come do what you want done and then have to pay them on top of that. ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-11-10          100140

I agree with Hardwood. I call the Kubota "my Harley Davidson." Most everyone can relate to that.
Dave ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login