Go Bottom Go Bottom

Ditching for Pipe or Conduit

View my Photos
Kendews
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-10-06          97799

I want to run some electricity out to my new barn. My 12" backhoe bucket seems wider than ideal for the task. Has anyone ever heard of a really narrow bucket for cutting a slot? Is there a better way to accomplish my task that I haven't thought of?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
oneace
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-10-06          97801

You could always rent a walk behind trencher. They cut about a 9" swath. ....

View my Photos
Archdean

2004-10-06          97809

I am in the process of building a little trencher/scarifier to open a small trench just wide and deep enough to lay a seasonal irrigation water line, if you can wait a few days I'll publish what I came up with!!
Dean ....

View my Photos
Kendews

2004-10-06          97811

Thanks, I'm in no real hurry, Its taken me since last December to get my barn built. I'd appreciate anything you can suggest. Ever since I got my little BX23 I can't stand the thought of renting when I might possibly use my own machine. ....

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-10-07          97818

Kendews; A lot depends on the type of soil you'll be laying the conduit in. In soils without rocks or roots to deal with a chain trencher is ideal, but if you have lots of stones, roots, etc., they give a trencher a hard time. Most of the soils around here have a layer of gravel rocks down about 12-24 in. below the surface so if you'r having a dry spell the backhoe is your best choice. I've got a 9 in. bucket, but found that it's pretty hard to keep from knocking dirt down in the trench while digging, so anymore I just use the 18 in. bucket then you can stand in the trench to bed the conduit, it just makes the job go a lot smoother. Just my experiences. Frank. ....

View my Photos
kyvette

2004-10-07          97820

Kendews, if you have a blade to backfill with I wouldn't be concerned about trenching wider that needed. Especially when using your own equipment. If you are in heavy rock you would need to rent a rock trencher.

A couple of suggestions, install your electric service in PVC conduit. Be sure to size your conduit for the appropriate conductor size. I would expect 2" would more than meet your needs. You will need 18" of cover for nonmetallic conduit (National Electrical Code), 24" for direct buried (not in conduit). To minimize ditch settling, compact your backfill and/or leave a small mound of dirt along the top of the backfill. Dave ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-10-07          97824

Kyvette; I lerned a lot from an electical contractor friend this summer when we trenched in a 3 phase line to the new shop We buried a 2 in. conduit 36 in. deep with a warning tape about 12 in. below the surface. We tried to push the wires thru the conduit, did'nt work. Contractor friend said get your sewer tape, push it thru then hook the wires to the end of the tape and pull them thru. Worked like a top. Never too old to learn I guess. Frank. ....

View my Photos
husky125

2004-10-07          97830

When you lay the conduit, run some 1/4" nylon rope through each section as you put it together. Once you're finished, you can use this to pull the wires. I have an 8" bucket that I use for this type of work. However, a trencher is less work. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-10-07          97833

Check your local codes too. there are subtle differences according to where you are located.

Around here you need to have 6" of clean sand below the line and more above, that way frost or compaction (like from a heavy truck driving over it) can't force a rock into the conduit and pinch the wires.

It's also a good idea to buy a couple rolls of the yellow caution tape and lay it at the sides of the trench at a couple of different levels as you backfill the trench, then if in the future anyone ever digs near it they will hit the caution tape as a warning. If you look around it is available printed with "Caution - Buried Utilities Below" for just such use, but nearly anything works, I have even seen people use rope, just something as a reminder you're getting close.

If you have a few dollars to spare during the project, lay a length of 4" non-perforated drain pipe in the trench too, then if you ever decide to add extra 'features' like a telephone line or intercom wires,water line, etc., you can run them below ground too.

Best of luck.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Kendews

2004-10-10          98032

Thanks for all the great advice, I'm digging in very sandy soil so it should be easy enough. I'll take your advice and pull the cable through pipe and then lay a tape above the pipe. ....

View my Photos
denwood

2004-10-10          98036

An easy way an electrical contractor I know pulls things through conduit is with a shop vac. After the pipe is complete he wads up a ball of paper with a small piece of srting in it and sucks it through the conduit. Small string pulls a larger string and then the wire. He also leaves the string in for future additions. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login