Go Bottom Go Bottom

Best diesel additive for winter

View my Photos
BSTFLT
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-10-05          97733

Can anyone advise if there is a preferable diesel additive to use now that the mercury is falling? Any one out weigh the others?
Thanx -Pat

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
denwood

2004-10-05          97741

check out amsoil products www.amsoil.com I have used their synthetic products for years with great success and use their diesel conditioner and cetane boost. ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-10-05          97743

We sell, recommend, and use Power Service. Have access to many for sale as well as use and we've had the best results for over 15 years of experience with the product. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-10-06          97763

I've used Power Service for years with no complaints. I'm sure Amzoil is a good product too or they would'nt stay in business, so I guess every man to his own poison. Keep smiling. Frank. ....

View my Photos
dsg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-10-06          97780

My vote is for Power Service also, use it and like it. Most of the construction outfits in the area use it as well.

David ....

View my Photos
BSTFLT

2004-10-06          97805

Thanks fellas you're all "MINT"!! ....

View my Photos
rlsmith

2004-10-08          97929

If you buy farm grade fuel they take care of it for you. No guess work. I am being told for arond the northern part of Ohio they are excpecting to start in November. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2004-10-08          97930

There is no place that they take care of moisture and low grade fuel. They do switch to a 1/2 mix of diesel and kerosene here but there is still the possibility of fuel gelling or freeze-ups. Watch for places that refuel while open, they are mixing the water and bad fuel up with the new until it settles out! Find a place that refuels in the nite while closed and they will have less problems. They mix ours 50-50 here too but we still see freeze-ups!!!!! ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-10-08          97932

I would consider the best additive to be Stanadyne Performance Formula but it cost more than Power Service in the white bottle unless you buy it in bulk. ....

View my Photos
beagle

2004-10-08          97942

Power Service has always held up in Norhtern Michigan. It get's pretty darn cold, but have always been able to count on getting the tractor started. I'm sure there are other good products, but Power Service has proven reliability in my equipment. ....

View my Photos
jjfinn

2004-10-08          97948

This discussion thread is really stimulating my imagination. Please forgive me for a simple question on diesels, but I have to ask: What effect does the falling temperatures have on a diesel engine? How does the additive (such as Power Service) solve the problem? Our winters in northern Virginia are not as severe as northern Michigan, so can my BX23 be out in the cold over the winter or do I need to have it in a garage? Thanks for any help on this.
Thanks. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-10-09          97952

Diesel engines like heat. They depend upon it for combustion. A severely cold soaked diesel engine will normally need some type of starting aid (ABSOLUTELY NOT ether) such as glow plugs, intake heater grid, or a fuel vaporizer. Not to mention a block heater. The more preheat appllied, the easier to start the engine. Diesel fuel normally is treated for the area it is sold in but in some cases in severe cold the fuel can gel. In VA, you can leave the tractor outside but it ain't gonna like it if you try to start it on a really cold morning in the teens. Best to store it inside and if possible plug in the block heater an hour or two before use. Applied preheat as required. This will make life much easier on the engine and result in much less wear and tear due to a much faster warm up cycle. Otherwise you can listen to it moan an groan to turn over and rattle & knock like hell on a really cold first start of the day. ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-10-09          97955

Can my BX23 be out in the cold over the winter or do I need to have it in a garage? Thanks for any help on this.
jjfinn
====================
Do you park your car in a garage. If so park your tractor in it and leave the car set out.

I just got my BX 23 3 weeks ago today Just hit the 50 hour mark and gotta do the 50 Hr.SERVICE.
How long have you had your BX 23? ....

View my Photos
jjfinn

2004-10-13          98242

Thanks Chief for the clear explanation. I appreciate it. I will get a block heater and will plan on putting it in the garage for the cold times. (My wife may not appreciate giving up her garage space.) It is good that the BX23 ROPS can be folded down for garage access.

lbrown59. I have had my BX23 since early May of this year. It has been working out good, although I have not had as much time to work with it as I would like. I am just a couple hours short of the 50 hr servicing, and I have all the stuff to do it myself. Maybe next week. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login