Go Bottom Go Bottom

New at this first time buyer needs advice

View my Photos
basscat
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-09-18          96767

I have bought my first "mini" farm and the only tractors I've ever used before have been my dad's. I am trying to decide on the right tractor for MY new place. I have a house (which needs landscaping) and aprox. 9.5 acres that is mostly pasture and partially wooded. I have spent the better part of the last two months looking at tractors and I have about decided on the Kubota. Based on past experiences here and the knowledge that you all have, please share any advice you might have. Here's what it's narrowed down to : KUBOTA L3130 DT (4WD) no bucket since my dad's tractor has a large bucket and he lives next door with indust. tires price quoted as 13,600 new---- KUBOTA MX 5000 50 HP 2WD AG tires quoted at 12,700. My question is the bigger HP is less money without the 4 WD. My land is mostly flat but I might do some BH work on the side and even though I'm not getting the bucket now, I might want to add one later. Any advice?????

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
denwood

2004-09-18          96774

I would not even consider the 2wd. Every time you are stuck you will want to kick yourself in the ass, I do. Resale value is not good for 2wd and the pool of potential buyers is tiny compared to 4wd. A loader without 4wd is for the 1970's, leave it there. Have the dealer bring the one you want out to demo. Have him bring the closest thing in a hydrostatic transmission to try also. You may really like it ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-09-21          96943

To get into backhoe work I do prefer the four wheel drive and the loader or some ballast would need to added to the front. The BH90 which goes on the 3130 is an awesome hoe to work with as well as the solid way it mounts to the tractor. Are you just looking for something to brush-hog with or to do the mowing too? It sounds like you have an industrial machine to use at your leasure. ....

View my Photos
billybudd

2004-09-22          97062

Purchased a new L3130 4wd with a Woods 1012 loader. Total
price w/o tax $16,900. 4wd is essential, the loader is
more useful than I have ever imagined. Get one if you
can. ....

View my Photos
n88wrl
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-09-23          97073

I second the loader recommendations. I've got a L3130 with the LA513 loader and it is absolutely amazing how many things I find myself using it for. It's like a big wheelbarrow/toolbox for jobs around the property. Moving rocks, sticks, logs, clippings, or other junk we pick up. Carrying fence posts, wire, tools, cement, and other stuff. Materials I used to pull a wagon or push a wheelbarrow around for tasks now all go in the loader. Not to mention lifting heavy items out of the truck, pulling bushes and fence posts out. Plus the front ballast for various rear implements is 'free'.

-Brian ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-09-23          97074

My question is the bigger HP is less money without the 4 WD.
basscat
=========================================
And my question is what good is all that HP on a tractor if it just sets there and spins the wheels.

[color=criminson]***************[/color]
[color=goldenrod]GET THE BASICS HERE.[/color]
[url]http://consumers.creditnet.com/straighttalk/board/showthread.php?s=&postid=410243#post410243[/url]
[color=criminson]*****************[/color]
>

View my Photos
Art White

2004-09-23          97075

For the nine acres a BX could deal with it and a BX23 could give you everything you need to work on your property including the hoe. You would have to up to the B-7800 to get to a 72" mower to increase your free time. I've often found that most people go into sticker shock later when trying to buy attachments and often don't buy later but sometimes trade units in for what they want later regreating they did not do it sooner. ....

View my Photos
basscat

2004-09-23          97121

I've about decided to go with the 3130 4wd. I don't need the bucket right now because my dad lives next door and his JD has one on it. I've got a bush hog already so I don't have to buy one. I think I'm going to go ahead and invest in a tiller. I already have a Kubota ZD28 mower that I purchased new about 6 months ago and I love the performance. Kubota is great! ....

View my Photos
rabbittrun

2004-09-24          97177

I have a L3130 with 2wd. Would not consider purchasing a 4wd
cause, you really don't need one. Mine came with those larger front tires than what is advertised.
I love on 365+ acres of timberland in south mississippi and
there is plenty of places to get stuck....but common sense
tells me where NOT to go.
Got this little gem this March 31st and now have 95 hrs.
The price was 11 grand and 5 year no interest, delivered. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-09-24          97181

Hanging a big brush hog off the back of a compact tractor might not work so well unless you have some front counter-weight.

You will have to decide if spending money on suitcase weights or an FEL is the best way to go... ....

View my Photos
cthonestguy

2004-09-25          97206

Level ground or not, if you do end up getting FEL and put any kind of weight in it with nothing in the back and 2WD you will get stuck on the slightest of inclines or tear up places you don't want to tear up. My IH 300 Utility is useless with anything but a load of hay in the bucket unless I have 800 pounds of weight on the rear. Don't pinch pennies and skip a 4x4. You would be much better off with less HP and 4x4 based on what you are suggesting you will be doing.

The BX is probably more than you will need on 9 acres. 22hp is a tough little machine and you can do a lot with it. If you have access to a big machine buy a new bx and a new chevy and trailer to pull it around! ....

View my Photos
Art White

2004-09-25          97208

In our area the initial savings of two vs four is a double loss at sale time. Thanks to hills and 180 inches of snow a year. When making a purchase it is benificial to think of changes that might happen in the future. Both tractors mentioned are good tractors and if on level dry ground the MX could equally perform with the 3130 on loader work. The MX does have a type of shuttle which does work good with the loader for occasional use. The MX would easily run a light 7' bush-hog to make short work of that job. Most dealers give a better package price when buying a tractor rather then waiting for the loader which could mean several hundred dollars saved. When getting the loader also get the skid steer quick attach. That attchment is worth it's price and then some at resale time. With a ZD-28 for normal lawn duties get the ag tires. ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-09-26          97221

Level ground or not, if you do end up getting FEL and put any kind of weight in it with nothing in the back and 2WD you will get stuck on the slightest of inclines or tear up places you don't want to tear up.
The BX is probably more than you will need on 9 acres. 22hp is a tough little machine and you can do a lot with it.
cthonestguy
================
I got my BX 23 2 weeks ago yesterday.
I have moved several truck loads of dirt with it all ready.
I had been doing it all in 4wd.
Thought I'd try picking up a bucket of dirt using only the 2wd.Wanted to see it 4wd made any difference.
In 2wd the rear wheels will spin enough to tear up the ground.
In 4wd It has never spun a rear wheel.

View my Photos
cthonestguy

2004-09-26          97226

I've got a bx2200 that runs circles around my international 300 utility. The 300 utility will pick up the bx2200 and eat it alive but when it comes to moving material the bx2200 is better because as soon as I get any weight in the 2x4 machine it is useless on the slightest incline.

I leave my bx in 4x4 most of the time too because it keeps you out of trouble and from spinning the rear wheels.

Sure you can get a big 40hp 2x4 machine but unless you have a huge amount of counter weight you aren't going to be able to use the max capacity of the loader, should you buy one).

Think ahead for sure and as mentioned above. Try to buy what you think you will need all at once or it will cost you several hundred more later. ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-09-26          97228

The BX is probably more than you will need on 9 acres. 22hp is a tough little machine and you can do a lot with it. If you have access to a big machine buy a new bx and a new chevy and trailer to pull it around!
cthonestguy
=====================================
Sounds like an L or M is a good bit of over kill in his case.
if I were going anything bigger than a BX It would be the B 2410 in his case. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2004-09-26          97231

I agree about the loader. I have a New Holland TC33D with super steer and 4x4. I told myself why get a loader when I have a backhoe and a skid loader. But about 75% of the time I need a loader, so then I have to drop everything and go get another machine. I don't know about Kubotas but NH loaders just don't have a lot of pick 'em up power. ....

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-09-26          97236

My Kubota L3130 loader la723 is a power house. It can also reach high enough to load an International 8100 or 4700 10 yard dump truck with a full bucket of topsoil. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2004-09-27          97257

Boy's don't beat up on me to much for the statement about the MX and the L-series in two to four wheel drive. He has a larger loader if needed for heavy work. He also states he has a ZD for mowing so the tractor won't need to be used for that. The Mx properly ballasted for loader work on hard surfaces will work fine. The plus would be the bigger bush-hog for less time mowing. CT I'd be looking at the ballast on the 300. Those were built during what I call the hot-rod years and yours probably even has the swept back front axle for tighter turning meaning at that time they only took half the barn yard but with the right ballast people do get by with them. ....

View my Photos
cthonestguy

2004-09-27          97264

The old 300 is iron now that i got my kubota. I have manual steering on it and the only way to turn the wheel is to lift the nose off the ground unless you are moving. It's a good old machine but it's had it's day. The little bx2200 accomplishes alot more in less time. The 300 has it's purpose but it's not real productive. sorry to get off topic here. ....

View my Photos
denwood

2004-09-27          97300

I just finished a bush hogging job for a neighbor. 13 acres not mowed for 2-5 years. Around a pond, creek, house, barn, steep hills. I used a bushog SQ84, 7 footer, for 25-45 HP tractors. Wouldn't want any wider but 2wd really limited me. Some places I just couldn't do wihtout 4x4. A lighter 4x4 would have been great. Hydrostatic would have made the job much easier. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login