Go Bottom Go Bottom

RE BX22 bale spear

View my Photos
offtrack
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-09-07          95848

I have a BX22. I hope this question isn't to stupid, but I was wondering if anyone has had experience with using a cat 1 bale spear on a 4'x4' round bale, approx. 700lbs.? I don't need to lift it very high, only bring it to its resting place and then push it up on end into the feeder. I have been using the bucket and rolling it like a big ball of yarn. That can get messy in the wrong weather. Any feedback is appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

RE BX22 bale spear

View my Photos
jarndt
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-09-08          95862

The 3-point on your machine is rated at 680lbs centered 2' behind the lift point, so it would be close. The hydraulic system is plenty strong and a little ballasting in the FEL would hold the front end down. But you might not have enough lift height to get the bale off the ground. A little welding to reposition the spear in relation to the 3-point connections might solve the issue. ....

RE BX22 bale spear

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-09-08          95864

The true configuration of your hitch is a Cat 0-1 You will need to lower the top link position or raise the lower link pins to have it effective at all with the top link being the perfered. ....

RE BX22 bale spear

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-09-08          95880

I think the limiting factors for the BX three point lift are the tires and the length of the machine, not the hydraulics.

I got my BX 3 point to lift a whole lot more than what is listed, but it squished the tires and pulled the front end off the ground.

I kept a barbell with 300 pounds of weights in the garage which I rolled into the FEL when doing heavy work. That kept the front end on the ground.

Not much you can do about the tires.... unless you can find some 6 ply's in the same size. The stock tires will still carry around 800-1000 extra pounds before they begin to look like they are going to pop. ....

RE BX22 bale spear

View my Photos
beagle

2004-09-08          95919

Be carefull of the rear axle housing and the rear bearings, not to mention the bending moment induced in the tractor from the couterweight. You can eventually couterweight about anything, but something will act as the fulcrum. Make sure it can transfer the stress.

Probably best to stay within the manufacturers recommendations for weight on the three point. Over couterbalancing could be a problem for the machine. ....

RE BX22 bale spear

View my Photos
ejkessler

2004-09-08          95935

I can understand the concern for balancing the weight, but doesn't the bh itself weigh at least 700lbs or more in of itself. It would seem that the weight of the bale may be slightly further out but the actual weight shouldn't effect the tires. The combined weight of the whole unit is over 2500 lbs. The base unit without the fel and bh is 1500 lbs. It would seem that an 700 lb bale would by no means overload the tires or put excessive stress on the frame. Only putting the weight in the fel to counterbalance as stated earlier. ....

RE BX22 bale spear

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-09-08          95943

You are correct.

The backhoe weighs 600-700 pounds and the FEL is rated for 460 pounds with the B/H attached.

So rolling 300 pounds into the FEL and lifting something under 1000 on the 3 point is not that far off. ....

RE BX22 bale spear

View my Photos
beagle

2004-09-08          95975

Good point D, but I'm pretty sure the BH doesn't use the top link. Hanging from the top link would be more of a problem. I wouldn't exceed the 3pt rating recommended. Or...maybe I'm just getting a little old and conservative.

The lift height of the 3pt will probably be limiting the bale size to something manageable anyhow. ....

RE BX22 bale spear

View my Photos
offtrack

2004-09-08          95981

Thanks for all the feedback. I am going to give it a try and I will post my results. Probably won't be for a couple weeks. ....

RE BX22 bale spear

View my Photos
offtrack

2004-09-08          95983

Thanks for all the feedback. I am going to give it a try and I will post my results. Probably won't be for a couple weeks. ....

RE BX22 bale spear

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-09-08          95992

Beagle: Good counterpoint. Hadn't considered the difference between the 4 point hook-up on the B/H and the 3 point for the bale spear.

Anyway, the tires are like having a canary in a coal mine. If they are inflated to the max sidewall pressure and they start to go sorta flat..... don't lift more than that.

BTW, I also had to use the barbell in the FEL trick when I pulled the chain harrow to groom the driveway. It is the smallest chain harrow made and advertised as suitable for use with ATV's, but it pulled the BX's front end off the ground enough to lose some steering control. ....

RE BX22 bale spear

View my Photos
offtrack

2004-11-06          99949

Well, I went and purchased the bale spear and used it last night and it worked great. I did have to turn the lower pins inward because the lower arms would not swing out far enough. I backed it into a 4'x4' approx. 700lb bale and lifted it right up. The bx22 did not even flinch. I considered putting weight in the loader to offset it but found that it wasn't necessary. Worked like a charm. King Cutter cat 1 at TSC for 170.00. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login