Go Bottom Go Bottom

Log Splitter for B7510

View my Photos
Archdean
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-08-11          93234

Any one have info/experience with log splitters mounted on A B7510 tractor? (or any other)
1. Kind
2. Make etc.
3. Recommendations!

Thank you,
Dean

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Log Splitter for B7510

View my Photos
beagle
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-08-11          93239

Check the auxiliary hydraulic fluid capacity of your tractor. I don't remember the capacity for the B7510, but a 4" x 24" hydraulic cylinder will use almost a gallon of fluid at full stroke. Make sure you have the fluid to run the splitter cylinder. Good Luck ....

Log Splitter for B7510

View my Photos
Archdean

2004-08-11          93240

Thanks, Good point as I understand it there are two types one uses the pto to drive a pump (own tank) much like my backhoe and the type your re:
I am just starting this quest and as of yet have not seen either one!
Dean ....

Log Splitter for B7510

View my Photos
beagle

2004-08-11          93247

NorthernTool has the type that run off the Tractor hydraulics for about $450. ....

Log Splitter for B7510

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-08-12          93310

Below is the link to the splitter I bought. Northern Tool products are well priced until you add shipping, then $450 can turn into $700 real quick.

The Speeco splitter was available through the local Big Box Tractor Store at a pretty decent price.

On the subject of hydraulic capacity..... When I hooked the beast up the first time it sucked better than a gallon of fluid out of the tractor. That fluid stays in the splitter, in the hydraulic cylinder and lines, and I poured an equivalent amount into the tractor sump to replace it.

Your tractor has more than enough hydraulic flow and pressure to adequately run a splitter with a 4x24 cylinder.

You will need a power beyond port and a couple of hoses. You could adapt the PTO pump from your backhoe to work but you would have to rig up an oil sump for the splitter.... although there are companies that do sell three point splitters with pumps and sumps.

As far as racking up time on the tractor, I can split a cord of wood in about 75 minutes. Doing the math, if you use 4 cords a year you are going to put 6 hours on the tractor.... or even less if you keep the RPM's down. Anyway, no big deal.

And instead of having tires, wheel bearings and a seasonal gas engine to maintain (and store), you get a unit you can transport on a hand truck and store in a corner.

BTW.... I don't even put mine on the tractor. It sits on a heavy wooden table and I move the table around with my FEL forklift. If you did the same you might could use your backhoe sump and pump to run it.

Holler if you come up with more questions. ....

Link:   

Click Here

Log Splitter for B7510

View my Photos
bmlekki

2004-08-12          93313

How much does a power beyond port run ?? ....

Log Splitter for B7510

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-08-12          93316

It was about $250 installed, on my 4115. ....

Log Splitter for B7510

View my Photos
Archdean

2004-08-12          93318

Thanks for the very informative reply.
It appears to me that just the rail, cyl,w/wedge and perhaps valve is all I need (maybe best found on an old tow splitter with worn out engine) will begin the search locally today.
The hoses and couplings are readily available to me and with all of the hyd. fittings (ports) that are available on my tractor this seems to be an easy project and considerably cheaper than $1800 or so for a good 3 point splitter
4 cords is about what I burn every year so not exactly needing high volume production and can do that in a weeks time so really don't want to piddle around with another engine to baby sit!
Will keep you updated on this project.
Dean ....

Log Splitter for B7510

View my Photos
beagle

2004-08-12          93326

Since you have the FEL on your tractor, you already have the power beyond port you need. The FEL valve has Power beyond. All you need is to add an additonal circuit, which also has Power Beyond capabilities to you tractor. You would run from the power beyond port on the FEL, to the inlet port on the auxiliary valve. The power beyond port on the AUX valve would run back to the input on the tractor hydraulic block. The exhaust from the AUX valve and the exhaust from the FEL valve are tee'd back to the tractor return on the trans.

Maybe more information than you need, but you are not adding a power beyond port. You actually are using the power beyond port you have to add a rear remote cicuit. ....

Log Splitter for B7510

View my Photos
Murf

2004-08-12          93328

Dean, a good 3pth splitter is more like $800 not $1800, and if you have a quick-detatch bucket on your machine you might want to look into making up a mount for the splitter to go on the FEL instead. It sure is nice having the splitter out front and adjustable. It's probably a whole lot less work than unhooking the B/H also.

Best of luck. ....

Log Splitter for B7510

View my Photos
bmlekki

2004-08-12          93329

Is this true with the JD790? I asked my dealer and what they set up was just the remote line that connected to where the quick connects for the FEL where. I could not have the FEL connected and the remote line at once.. ....

Log Splitter for B7510

View my Photos
beagle

2004-08-12          93330

By the way, if you have the 4-way valve on your loader, you could run the splitter off the loader valve without adding anything. You just need to unplug one of the loader circiuts and run off it. A lot of people opt for that instead of adding rear remotes.

Replacing the fluid stored in the cylinder when retracted will replace a little more than half what the cylinder will use stroked out. ....

Log Splitter for B7510

View my Photos
Archdean

2004-08-12          93369

Thanks to all that replied and I absolutly agree This tractor already has more ports (outlets) than most.
My neighbor upon hearing that I was looking for a log splitter towed his down to me and it is a brute, the oddity is it has a little 5 HP and the hyd pump looks like a small elongated tennis ball but it sure split wood and had a massive frame with a 30" mouth, just the ticket, sure convinced me this is not rocket sicence!!
It appears to me that just the rail, cyl,w/wedge and perhaps valve is all I need (maybe best found on an old tow splitter with worn out engine) will begin the search locally today.
The hoses and couplings are readily available to me and with all of the hyd. fittings (ports) that are available on my tractor this seems to be an easy project and considerably cheaper than $1800 or so for a good 3 point splitter
4 cords is about what I burn every year so not exactly needing high volume production and can do that in a weeks time so really don't want to piddle around with another engine to baby sit!
Will keep you updated on this project.
Dean

Log Splitter for B7510

View my Photos
Archdean

2004-08-12          93370

Great advice and exactly what I needed to know.
Thanks till your better paid!!
Dean ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login