Go Bottom Go Bottom

Too Much Hydro Oil

View my Photos
beagle
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-07-19          91305

Finished the 50hr service on my 7800 last week. Added the amount of hydro oil recommended along with all the filter changes. The dipstick reads overfull by about 2". Is this cause for concern and should some oil be drained? I have put a couple hours on the tractor since the service, but the dipstick still reads high. Drain some? Please advise.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Too Much Hydro Oil

View my Photos
AnnBrush
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-07-19          91309

Drain some. Filter specs (and capacities) change over time and filling volumes are approximate. Also the last drain may not have removed all of the oil (some cannot be removed) so residual oil will now be occupying some of the stated volume. ....

Too Much Hydro Oil

View my Photos
beagle

2004-07-19          91311

Thanks, pretty much what I thought, but the dipstick reading is somewhat ambiguous depending on the position of hydraulic components when it's checked. Draining seems like the right thing to do. ....

Too Much Hydro Oil

View my Photos
Murf

2004-07-19          91327

Beagle, are you sure you don't have some big airlock somewhere in the system taking up a bunch of space?

It would be a shame to drain some back out only to have the air work it's way into the reservoir and then have to pour it back in again.

Best of luck. ....

Too Much Hydro Oil

View my Photos
beagle

2004-07-19          91332

I had the same thought when I checked the level after the service, so I decided to run it a for a few hours and see if it worked it's way out. I have used the 3-point, rear remotes, and the FEL since the service, still reads high. I am hesitant to drain any fluid, but not sure the risks to the system for being overfilled. I re-checked the amount drained, and come up a lttle over a couple quarts short. I attributed that to filter retention. From using the tractor, it seems I have good exhaust fluid flow based on the performance of the hydraulics. Are there other risks to being overfilled I haven't thought of. ....

Too Much Hydro Oil

View my Photos
beagle

2004-07-19          91351

Can too much fluid cause excessive foaming from the exhaust fluid flow? ....

Too Much Hydro Oil

View my Photos
jarndt

2004-07-20          91411

You might blow a seal or have some other form of leakage from overfilling. The best policy is to relax all of the hydraulics and make sure you are on a TOTALLY level surface when adding hydro oil. If you put too much in, use a turkey baster to suck some back out. A little fluid makes a huge difference on the dipstick. Then run the machine and cycle all the hydro circuits. Bring it back into the garage and recheck the oil level. That should be it, except for an occational spot check between service intervals. ....

Too Much Hydro Oil

View my Photos
beagle

2004-07-20          91418

Getting a little concerned. Drained about a pint last night from the mid pto plug. Ran the tractor, cycled all the hydraulics, did a little loader work, then re-checked. Still read high on the dip-stick. I know I added 3.8 gallons of fluid when I serviced. Any thoughts, keep draining?

Any thoughts would be helpful. I may even break down and call the dealer. ....

Too Much Hydro Oil

View my Photos
Murf

2004-07-20          91420

I don't suppose you did something silly like marking the point the fluid came to on the dipstick so you could see how much of an effect that pint had did you? I know I always remember to do that, usually about 5 minutes late mind you, but I always remeber, LOL.

Every machine is a little different but generally the only real hazard if it is a little overfull is that the fluid reaches a spinning gear or something which cause the fluid to foam up bad, this can of course cause cavitation and other air entrainment problems.

On the other side of the coin there is some logic to the arguement that slightly over-full is just fine since you never work the machine with the FEL and 3PTH all the way down anyways. FWIW, my dealer suggests checking the fluid with the FEL & 3PTH in the 'normal operating position' that way there is the proper amount of fluid in the machine when it's working, and the more fluid, the more cooling capacity. Mind you I think my machines work a little harder than the average too.

Best of luck. ....

Too Much Hydro Oil

View my Photos
beagle

2004-07-20          91430

Murf, I've been thinking along those lines too, especially since I added the rear remotes. Silly question, should the tractor be running when the level is checked, or doesn't it make a difference? I am tempted to check the level with the tractor idling and see where I am at. I will cetainly try it in the operating position as you suggest. The last tractor was always checked with everything in the retacted position, since the allowance was built into the fluid level. What about checking with the tractor running? Any thoughts there? ....

Too Much Hydro Oil

View my Photos
Murf

2004-07-20          91431

The only difference I could see is that with it running of course a certain amount of fluid would be flowing through the system instead of lying in the reservoir, this in turn would reduce the volume in the reservoir and in so doing possibly lower the fluid level below that which would cause air entrainment from gears spinning through it.

Best of luck. ....

Too Much Hydro Oil

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2004-07-20          91442

To check the hyd oil the engine must be stopped ,as a saftey all hyd should be in lowered position when tractor is stopped so it stands to reason that the hyd oil should be checked/changed when all hyd implements are lowered to resting position. If the tractor is running different RPM will move different amounts of oil around the machine and you will not get a stable reading. My JD sight glass checks full while tractor is stopped but looks low when running, although its not low. If you drained the system and your hyd cylinders were not lowered or in the same position when you refilled and then checked you will have lost track of your baseline volume (based on what you put in and took out) so the volumes you added will differ from spec'd volumes. Bottom line: fill to the correct position on the dipstick wih engine off and hyd in resting position.
Cheers Ann Brush ....

Too Much Hydro Oil

View my Photos
beagle

2004-07-20          91445

Thanks eveyone for your comments. Back to basics. Drain a little more until the dipstick reads correct level.

Has anyone else seen this type of an issue after doing their 50 hr? The last two tractors I had came out just about exactly right. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login