Go Bottom Go Bottom

Transmission oil for BX2200

View my Photos
wmyarbro
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-07-16          91064

I'm a new tractor owner, so please excuse my ignorance, but what is a good replacement for Kubota Super UDT that I can purchase at Wal-Mart or other local retailer? My Kubota dealer is too far away. Also, does anyone know if TSC carries or can order the oil and transmission filters for a BX-2200? I sure appreciate y'alls help with these questions.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-07-16          91066

the Super UDT that is recommended by Kubota is a top line oil that there aren't to many comparables to. In your climate being warm the need for it isn't as great as it is here in the north but economy oils are just that. ....

View my Photos
wmyarbro

2004-07-16          91070

Thanks for the response. You raise a great point about the quality of the UDT. I was hoping someone may have found an equivalent. Thank you again. ....

View my Photos
jarndt
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-07-16          91071

Just give your dealer a call and order it over the phone. They should be able to ship it to your address. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-07-16          91089

I have found three oils that claim equivalence to S/UDT. None are available at Wal-Mart.

1)AmsOil synthetic..... but you wouldn't believe the price.

2) Chevron All Weather, another synthetic, available through commercial oil jobbers at about $70 for 5 gallons.

3) John Deere Hygard (not Low-Vis), available through any Deere dealer.

The Deere/Kubota dealer down the street uses nothing but Deere fluids in both colors, and has for years.

The Case/Kubota Dealer in the next county uses nothing but Case fluids in everything he sells.

There are several internet suppliers of Kubota parts and fluids if you want to stick with that brand. Oils can be shipped UPS Ground with little or no hassle. ....

View my Photos
cthonestguy

2004-07-16          91140

FYI..not sure about TN but here in CT If I buy my Super UDT through tractorsmart.com it's cheaper (few cents) even with the shipping than the local dealer and you don't need to lug it home from the store. The UPS guy does all the work.

If you are nice enough to the UPS guy and tip him every Christmas, you might get him to change it for you too!

Go with the UDT. For the amount of time you need to change it it's good stuff. ....

View my Photos
WPHill

2004-07-17          91161

TSC sells Traveller hydraulic fluid. I've never used it in my Kubota, but I do use it in other equipment and it says it is comparable to the UDT. It's $25.78 for 5 gallons. As for the filter, I use Kubota filters for warranty purposes. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-07-17          91190

There are a great many oils compatible with UDT. Very few are compatible with Super UDT. ....

View my Photos
wmyarbro

2004-07-19          91282

I want to thank all of you for your input. Reading the responses to my original post has definately showed me two clear points: 1.) You guys are serious about proper kubota maintenance and; 2.) Although there are compatible possibilities, there really is no substitute for the Super UDT.

I made the drive this past weekend to the kubota dealer and purchased a gallon of Super UDT. He told me however, that there really is no need to change the tran oil at 50 hours unless it was cloudy (he chaulked it up to a sales pitch in the owner's manual!) unless it was clouded (which it was not). I did change the filter though.

Thank you again and may God bless. ....

View my Photos
jarndt

2004-07-19          91283

A dealer trying to second guess the engineers at Kubota would be disturbing to me. The fluid change schedules are there for a good reason. Any new equipment has a break-in period. The oil will become contaminated with tiny metal shavings left over from the production process and from the moving parts conforming to each other. The metal particles accutally help the break-in process... up to a point. The engineers have determined that 50 hours of use is the time when most of the break-in has occured. Much longer, and the metal particles in the oil will begin to do more damage than good. The best policy is to follow the manufacturer's instructions first. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-07-19          91298

Agreed. One of the things you can't see is the mechanical shearing that occurs with the oil molecules. This shearing is well documented and as it happens it changes the viscosity of the oil, basically thinning it down.

I suspect that a new transmission, with its sharp surfaces during the break-in period would have a greater propensity to shear/break down the oil. If I am off base here, I guess one of our engineering types will set me in order.

Also... sometimes you will find a break-in thing that is unique to a brand of tractor and you wonder if that manufacturer is being overcautious. Kubota's "no max RPM" for the first 50 hours comes to mind.

But everyone who sells an HST transmission universally says change that oil at 50 hours. I reckon there is a good reason.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login