Go Bottom Go Bottom

Dooooh why did I do that

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-06-29          89624

OK, I've done some things I've regretted later, but this one I never even saw coming.

My good lady was meeting a friend for coffee and asked if I wanted anything while she was out. Since she was going right by my favourite Orange Store, I asked her to go in and get me a few things, rather than order it through the shop and then go over there and pick them up.

Here's where the problem starts.

They were unloading a new BX2230 (fully loaded of course, FEL, MMM, canopy, ALL the goodies) which had been on a demo at a golf tournament.

When she commented to the dealer principle about now nice it looked, and how handy it must be and how it looked like my Grand L only smaller ("lady sized" was her actual description) he suggested she get on it and try it out.

SHE THOUGHT IT WAS CUTE, SHE LIKES IT, SHE WANTS ONE.

After the heart palpatations faded, I thought about it some, as much as I hate to admit it, her logic is good, she had a good idea, LOL.

She won't cut the grass because she doesn't feel comfortable with the big commercial FMM's I have. She also doesn't feel comfortable using the L4310 becasue it's too big and it will tear up the turf too much. Consequently she feels totally dependant on me to do any yard work, even if it is things that she wants to do by herself. It is also a bit of a problem to take the 4310 to the cottage and leave it there because it is then not available at the house.

So, she feels that if I bought her a BX she could do the grass cutting, yard work, gardening and other things she wants, when she wants, by herself.

HELP?!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Dooooh why did I do that

View my Photos
bmlekki
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-06-29          89626

LOL!!!! Good Luck..........

Note to self -- Remember this one...

Whats another tractor?? ....

Dooooh why did I do that

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2004-06-29          89627

HaHa - now maybe you will suffer what I have suffered. Holes dug on the edge of the yard IN CASE the cat dies during the winter! Or maybe she will help the neighbor plant new bushes with the backhoe while putting the bucket down on a new blacktop drive to provide stability. Or maybe just a rough spot smoothed over in the yard in the fall so that you have to walk through mud until spring. Wood chips delivered to all the neighbors leaving trails of chips all over the neighborhood! :) ....

Dooooh why did I do that

View my Photos
beagle

2004-06-29          89629

Murf, the cost/benefit analysis is pretty straight forward. As Jeff Foxworthy points out, "If she's happy, you're happy....and ONLY if".

Make yourself happy. ....

Dooooh why did I do that

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-06-29          89632

Let me see if I have this straight..... She wants her own tractor so that she can do some of your work (??!?) and you wonder if.... ???. Wake up and smell the coffee Murf... better yet, drink some.

The only thing I would do at this point in your shoes is to make sure she sees a BX 1500 first. It might be even more "her size". ....

Dooooh why did I do that

View my Photos
Murf

2004-06-29          89637

I'm sorry, in the interest of brevity I left out a few details.

The reason she isn't comfortable with the FMM's for instance. I walked out into the back shop one day and there was my FMM from home, the mechanic was replacing the center front anti-scalp wheels and straightening the front edge of the deck. When I asked him what he was doing all he would say, without even looking up, was "Ask your wife.". She thought she would surprise me by cutting the lawn. So far so good. When I asked her how the mower got so damaged all she could say was "I was trying to get close to a tree." Apparently she succeded.

The reason she doesn't like the big tractor? The first (and last) time she tried it, she had to back it out of the shop first. I told her to turn around so she could see better. In so doing she stepped down hard with her right foot in order to push herself around. If the HST pedal hadn't been under her foot at the time things would have gone better.

I do like your idea about the BX1500 though Mark, and if I don't get the FEL on it how much damage could she possibly do...

I was feeling better till that last thought came to me, how much damage could she do........

Do they still make those little pedal-powered ones for the kids? Maybe she wouldn't know the difference. ....

Dooooh why did I do that

View my Photos
jrestill
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-06-29          89640

Murph,

Here's another thing to think about. What if she does get her own tractor and then decides to sign up for tractorpoint? You may want to keep your "delete" button well lubricated. ....

Dooooh why did I do that

View my Photos
Murf

2004-06-29          89650

Ohhhhh no, now I need a drink.

No Mark, not coffee either, something MUCH stronger.... ....

Dooooh why did I do that

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-06-29          89652

In your time zone it is a good time to relax with a little heart tonic. ....

Dooooh why did I do that

View my Photos
oneace

2004-07-04          90048

Murf we have traded allot of big tractors for little one's or a little one was bought for the "wife". Those little hydro units are very easy to maneuver as you probably already know. All of our "wife" users seem to do very well on these units. Good luck with your dilemma. ....

Dooooh why did I do that

View my Photos
BigBob
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-07-04          90056

Enjoy your new sub-compact Murf! Happy Fourth and Canada day to all! ....

Dooooh why did I do that

View my Photos
itsgottobegreen

2004-07-06          90218

I need to find someone like that. Telling me I need to buy another tractor. Not why do you need another one? Take one home for a day. She if she likes it. Might as well get a BX23. She can plant all the trees she wants by herself. ....

Dooooh why did I do that

View my Photos
Murf

2004-07-06          90222

I think we've worked out a compromise.....

OK, I kept uping the bribe 'till she gave in.......

We took an extended July 1st/4th weekend and went down to our winter place, I had decided to list the big boat for sale, we haven't had the use of it because of my health so it's sat idle for too long. I got a good offer and went down there and closed the deal.

Now the problem, she knows I have the cash. They can smell it cant they?

So, here is the way it is looking now. She isn't getting a BX. She is probably getting an RTV, it is coming for an extended 'test drive'. The grass and heavy yard work will be done by a crew from the company, under her direction, poor guys, they don't know what their in for. The light stuff, gardening, etc., will be her thing, with the RTV it will be easier.

She also likes the fact she can tour around with it, and it will be handy for cruising around at the farm & cottage, I can get around pretty good now, but long walks are still a challenge, although not as painfull as they used to be.

Time will tell what she gets, I'll keep you folks up to speed as the story develops, now back to our regularly scheduled discussion.

Best of luck. ....

Dooooh why did I do that

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-07-06          90246

I'd rather talk RTV's. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login