Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kubota 7800 vs john deere 4210

View my Photos
nanhill86
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-06-22          89154

We are upgrading from a Ford 8N. We want to buy new and have 15,000 to 18,000 to spend. We manage 40 acres, and will mostly use a bush hog and front loader. I like the Kubota for its reputation and my husband likes the John Deere for its comfort. Any thoughts/opinions are most welcome....even blatant bias -- we're open for all ideas.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-06-22          89159

A better size/weight comparison would be the 7800 vs. JD 4115 and Kubota L2800 vs. Deere 4210. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-06-22          89162

Both Kubota and Deere play the game on their websites of comparing tractors that aren't necessarily the best matchup. In the case of the B7800 vs. the 4210, the Deere has better hydraulic flow and lift capacity, a position control hitch (easier repeatability than Kubota's quarter inching valve), and more creature comforts than the B7800. Both are fine tractors, but the 4210 is sometimes thought to be a little underpowered for it's size and the 4310 is a better balance of power and weight. The 4210 has the same hp as the B7800 but weighs 800 lbs more. As DRankin said, a 4115 would be a better match. Opinions? Both are good, shop for the dealer you feel most comfortable with. ....

View my Photos
beagle

2004-06-22          89171

I agree with the previous comments, but I am a 7800 owner and love the tractor. The power to weight ratio is awsome, but the 1/4" valve is a little more cumbursome to use than position control. For what you described your uses as, it probably isn't an issue. I have beome more accustomed to the 1/4" valve, but it was an adjustment for me. Given a choice, I would get the position control, but wouldn't give up the tractor over it.

The 4210 really is a bigger and heavier tractor than the 7800. Drive them both, talk to the dealer. Get an all around comfort level for both product and dealer. I'll keep my 7800, it's a great machine. ....

View my Photos
plaindave

2004-06-22          89173

I went through the same process last year and ended up with a B7800. After one year, moving 300 yards of fill and topsoil, plowing snow, dragging out downed trees, digging postholes, and whatever else I can't say enough good things about it.

I compared the 4115 to the 7800 and bought based upon the total cost and the dealer. My Kubota dealer knew equipment, the local JD guy sold expensive lawnmowers to farmer wannabes with 2 acre lots.

I really don't think you could go wrong with either one. For me it was price that clinched the deal. I could live with the JD dealer not knowing much because I knew what I wanted and needed to get the job done. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2004-06-23          89185

For more accurate comparisons for comfort I'd be looking not at the value tractors of kubota but the B-2910 and the L-3130 which are full featured tractors. You still should wind up with in your price range. All companies will try and cloud the issues or to make there tractors look better on paper. It is in the field that the real performance comes in on a tractor. There are none created equal there! ....

View my Photos
FERRARI

2004-06-23          89198

Go for the B-2910....More HP and many extra features....You won't be disappointed.... ....

View my Photos
petushead

2004-06-23          89203

Ok,

Here is what you do. Test drive both a B2910, L3130 and a JD 4310 making sure all have the attachments you want. These tractors are about the same price but I think you will find the John Deere much easier to work with. The loader for the Kubota (B series-LA402) has this annoying cross bar that goes directly over the fuel cap?? After talking with my dealer about this matter he informed me that many people have smashed the hoods with this bar when taking the loader on/off.. Also regarding the Kubota loader you have to remove these pins in the sides removing them usually is not that hard but to put them back in will usually require a rubber mallet. The JD has one lever you touch to remove the loader and putting it back on does not require pins. I have a B2910 so I know what I am talking about it is not fun and wish I had the JD. Both the 4210 and 4310 JD have more torque than the B series tractors don't be fooled by just looking at hp look at torque instead. Good luck. ....

View my Photos
kubotaguy

2004-06-23          89208

Both are good machines, but I think the deciding factor as most have stated would be the dealer. My Kubota dealer was very honest and never put down another brand of machine whereas the Deere dealer in my area wouldn't even return a phone call. If you take a poll here, most of the people would tell you the dealer was the deciding factor. Paying a little more for a good dealer could save you several thousand dollars down the road.
As far as the annoying crossbar on the 7800 & 2910 that someone referred to, it is no problem as long as your read the instructions. It is a little more difficult to refuel using a can but it gives added strength to the loader setup. I take my loader off every week to mow and haven't had any problems. The guy who is complaining about the crossbar on the loader is the same one who complained about removing the mid mount mower. Some people are not happy about anything.
Good luck and have fun test driving. ....

View my Photos
1999cobra

2005-05-28          111622

< - I compared the 4115 to the 7800 and bought based upon the total cost and the dealer. My Kubota dealer knew equipment, the local JD guy sold expensive lawnmowers to farmer wannabes with 2 acre lots - >

Huh - JD owner sells to wannabee's? Just curious - what constitutes a wannabee??? I may be one so I need to identify myself...!!! ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2005-05-28          111630

On the B7610 with LA352 loader the cross bar does not block the filler cap at all that is a B7800 / B2910 only issue becasue the hood is longer on those models because of the extra cylinder in the engine.

On the B7610 I cannot see how it would be possible to hit the cross bar unless you made a deliberate effort to do so, and there is absolutely no problem putting the pins in, they slide in effortlessly. If you are using a mallet your don't have it aligned properly on a flat floor or somthing is bent. I would go back to your dealer if that continues. ....

View my Photos
FERRARI

2005-05-28          111633

Why dont you just pay a little more money and get the B-2910?

Link:   http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/GARYTUCKER/DSC00286-1.jpg

Picture Link
Kubota Tractors Kubota 7800 vs john deere 4210

View my Photos
dklopfenstein

2005-05-28          111660

Both are good, reliable tractors. Unless you step-up to the L series Kubota, you will be disappointed because there is plenty of HP on the 7800 but it is a small framed tractor...unless it is going to be mowing your yard as well. If you plan on taking the loader on and off very often, JD's new 300cx loader is a great companion to the 4310 or 4410. I just bought mine a couple of weeks ago and can put in on/off in 3 to 4 minutes...Kubota won't be able to do that. 4210/4310/4410 has lots comfort features (and weight) that the B7800 doesn't have. Test drive them...then take the green one home. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2005-06-01          111790

Why not get some real value for your money and go for the L-2800 hydro or an L-3400! For what you are doing nothing beats them. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-06-01          111797

nanhill86,

Not sure exactly what features you were wanting on the machine but for forty acres, both the 7810 and 4210 are too small. The Deere 990 comes to mind as being a great value for the money and you get a SOLID bullet proof tractor although a basic gear shift design which will prove VERY reliable over time. The Kioti DK45 is another great value machine of similar design and VERY reliable reputation. Hydro is real nice and the ease of use as well as being well suited to some applications such as FEL operations which makes them very easy on the operator. For brush hogging neither the 7810 or the 4210 have the muscle to operate a rotary cutter of any size. A Kubota L or M series tractor would certainly also be a good choice in the 40 hp range but I am not sure that would be in your price range. Art can address that much better than I can.

I am finding out that I will be requiring a machine in the 75 to 100 hp range to brush hog several acres I am managing now. My 4410 is a great tractor but just too small. I would be cutting round the clock for months just to keep up which is way too much for me and the tractor.

If you could post a bit more info. about how much of the 40 acres you will be cutting, the type of vegetation, how the land lays, and the degree of FEL use; it would be very helpful in making a more detailed recommendation.

View my Photos
mc2crazy

2005-06-01          111811

I would say that you're leaning towards a Kubota because you posted your question here in the Kubota forum. I had a 1982 JD 1050 and all I ever did besides routine maintenance is replace the battery and clutch. I bought a new 4310 in 2003 loaded with all of the options. I've had a couple of minor problems which still aren't repaired. Because of the poor dealer support I just bought a Kubota mower. It was like jumping out of the frying pan into the fire. ....

View my Photos
1999cobra

2005-06-01          111829

What exactly do you mean? Please elaborate ...??? ....

View my Photos
FERRARI

2005-06-01          111836

Well you know I have looked at the deere mowers and to me they look cheap..no where as sturdily make as the Kubota ones...sorry..but that is what I see....and you know if you dont grease the spindles or bearings about ever 10 hours with any mower...you are in for troubles......I run crossed blades.and I have thousands of hours on one of my Kubota mowers......a 6 foot one...with no problems....

Just look at the thickness of the steel on the attached picture....Deere does not make any mower that has this type of thick steel....sorry...... ....

Picture Link
Kubota Tractors Kubota 7800 vs john deere 4210

View my Photos
dbyers

2006-02-14          124494

I borrowed a friends 4210 last summer to do some yard work and was very impressed with how easy and comfortable it was to use. Expecially the loader. I moved 28 yards of top soil in no time. The Hydro drive and bucket controls are so fast you will be done moving dirt before you know it. It seemed to have plenty of power to me, but now I am buyin it from him because it want's to get a more powerfull one. I haven't driver the kobota, but can tell you I really liked the JD. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2006-02-14          124515

Before you buy it would do you well to look at the Kubota's. I'd recommend to look at comparables and the B-7800 is not really a good comparison. Yes it has a larger engine and it produces more horsepower but it is lighter! It's not meant to be as heavy of a tractor, life is great! This is not the best for an industrial duty unit to be doing loader work over fifty percent of the time on the clock. If it's main task is mowing with some loader work the Kubota will burn far less fuel as well as having a lighter foot print for less lawn destruction. I'd recommend looking at the grand L-series to be a more equal weight, loader work comparison or if you are looking for a good value then look at the L-2800,3400,4400 group. You'd be suprised! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login