Go Bottom Go Bottom

FEL size 3130

View my Photos
jrestill
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-06-18          88826

Dealer now setting up 3130HST for delivery in a week or so. I started off with intention of getting LA723 loader. Dealer suggested L513 instead, saying he feels the LA723 makes it too easy for operator to overload and get in trouble on the hilly terrain that is common around here. (The idea being that the 3130 weight is too light in rear to counter a full load on something other than level ground.) I went in with idea that "bigger is better" and perfectly willing to pay $400 more for the larger loader, but the dealeer seems to make sense. He'd be happy to sell me the 723 if I insist, but sez almost everytime he's done that in the past, the owner eventually comes back and swaps out for the 513. Incidentally, the dealer made exactly the same point a year ago when I was talking to him. I can't see any reason for him to be pushing a cheaper and smaller loader unless he honestly thinks its best for the hilly conditions around here. I'm inclined to trust his expertise more than mine, since mine is zero. Any thoughts? (I think there's still time to insist on the larger loader if I want to.)

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

FEL size 3130

View my Photos
texbaylea

2004-06-18          88837

jrestill:

I placed my order for a L3130HST Wednesday and I ordered the LA723. I felt that I needed the extra height and weight capability. I don't have any serious slopes to contend with but I feel that with careful operation you should not have any problems with the LA723. ....

FEL size 3130

View my Photos
blizzard
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-06-18          88852

If you're going to do any serious loader work, get the 723 with the heavy-duty (replacable cutting edge) bucket. Yes, it is a little on the heavy side, but after almost 550 hours mine is still in great shape, see my pics or link below for examples...
bliz ....

Link:   Tractor_Pics

FEL size 3130

View my Photos
jrestill

2004-06-18          88856

blizzard

your pics make an impressive case for the larger loader, especially the way you seem to be making hash of those trees. looks similar to a lot of what i'll be doing, albeit on more hilly terrain. i think my dealer's concern is that full weight on the 723 loader tends to make the rear end too light. looks like you're taking care of that with weight box, which seems a sensible solution. also note that you seem to use chains for that "logging" work. I certainly want as much lift as practical since i need to move some good sized oak trees over to my neighbor's sawmill for cutting into timbers. i don't know how much trees 12" to 24" diamater in 16-foot or so lenghts weigh, but i do know a 1400-pound lift capacity would be better than 1000. thanks for your input. ....

FEL size 3130

View my Photos
blizzard
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-06-19          88867

Jrestill,
I'm not saying (by my pics) that this is the 'ideal' machine for this kind of work. A real skidder or a larger machine with a backhoe would be a lot faster, and the skidder, with a lot of operator protection, much safer. But with some time, planning, and an eye to safety, it is possible to do some serious excavating with the L3130HST/723FEL
Be real careful in the woods, a dead top or branch falling 40 or more feet could ruin a nice day.
I bought the chains for winter use clearing my driveway, but they are real handy with the clay soil, and really help in the woods, as small downed trees and branches are very slippery. I did get one flat at 510 hours, driving over a dead spruce that I knew I should have avoided. Cost $16 and a lost afternoon to fix the puncture in the rear tire. Last fall I had tubes put in both fronts, as I was losing air in really rough going. No problems since then.
A 24" oak log 16' long probably weighs around 3000#, too much to lift with this size machine, though you probably could roll it up onto a low trailer. A 12" X 16' oak is more like 750#, should be easy to lift with 2 hooks welded near the sides of the bucket. If you weld these on, don't do what I did and put them too close to the sides, keep back 6-8" or so, as when I roll the bucket back, the chains tend to slip off the edge. The main problem I find in the woods is the relatively low ground clearance, around here 'hardpan' is around 22" down, and if it is wet the 'topsoil' won't always support the machine.
Have fun with your new machine, and work safely. Give yourself time to become comfortable on your tractor before trying any demanding tasks. Loader work can quickly upset your machine if you are not especially cautious. Use a counterweight and set the rear tires as wide as possible, my dealer set-up was narrow and Very unstable.
bliz ....

FEL size 3130

View my Photos
WPHill

2004-06-19          88871

JRESTILL
I just bought a 3130 HST with the LA513 quick attach loader. Home run all the way. The tractor is used for construction, so the loader gets worked on a consistent basis. The big advantage to the the 513 for me is the unlimited implements that I can attach to, i.e. pallet forks, grapple, root rake and any bobcat attachment that has the quick attach on it. This takes the tractor into a whole new category for work purposes. I run my back tires w/75% water. It is a workhorse with the 513. And if loader capacity is the most important aspect of the machine for you, figure out what the actual bucket capacity difference is between the 723 and the 513 and then figure out how many trips extra you would have to make on say a 16yard load. I say, for the 400.00 or 500.00 you save on the 513, you can buy another implement. I don't think you will go wrong. Good luck! ....

FEL size 3130

View my Photos
GSV40U

2004-06-20          88926

I purchased a L3430 with a 723 loader and 66" quick attach heavy duty bucket. The smaller bucket was purchased because of narrow clearance in wooded areas and the recommendation of a dealer that suggested it was less likely to overbalance the tractor when filled. I really enjoy the lifting capability of the loader, especially when using my hydraulic grapple. Choosing a smaller bucket with the 723 loader could be a compromise for you in hilly areas. It has worked really well for me.

Greg ....

FEL size 3130

View my Photos
jrestill

2004-06-20          88933

Thanks Greg,

That compromise sounds like a great idea. I'm already getting the quick attach feature in anticipation of a lot of grapple work. As I do more research on grapples, I'm noting how heavy they are and thus how much they would compromise load capability of the smaller loader frame. Also, I'm think the extra 6" reach could come in real handy as I build garage/workshop and house.

By the way, what kind of grapple do you use? ....

FEL size 3130

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-06-20          88940

I have the 3130 with the 723 & love it. I have a bogford grapple. if you use your sence, You'll have no problem with the larger loader. I do understand that the dealer is trying to be safe with you as you have no experience yet. You should definitly fill your rear tires for wieght though...i recommend foam fill. Borgford Mftg. 1 800 884 8776 or bodozer at borgford dot com

FEL size 3130

View my Photos
GSV40U

2004-06-21          88996

jrestill:

I also use the Borgford Grapple, model BG5, with loaded rear tires (R1) and additional weight, usually my box scraper. This makes a nice combination to handle brush and small trees.

Greg ....

FEL size 3130

View my Photos
jrestill

2004-06-21          89011

Thanks to all for the "consultation." I just called dealer to have him go from 573 to 723 loader, but with the 66" bucket compromise suggested by Greg. (I also remembered this time to ask him to weld a couple of hooks on the bucket.) ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login