Go Bottom Go Bottom

R4s or turfs

View my Photos
Oliver
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-06-13          88417

Well, I have made up my mind -- I plan on buying a 7510 next week. My question now is about tires. One dealer said I need R4s, the other said turfs.

The tractor will be used for brush cutting, putting in a new lawn, maintaining a 350' gravel drive and clearing snow off the drive, initially with a back blade and the FEL. I have no plans to use the tractor to mow with, but it will travel over the lawn in the course of regular landscape projects. The main use for the tractor will be to perform horse related chores -- hauling manure, putting in fences, and whatever.

The terrain is rolling hills -- nothing that my current 1960 something 13 hp (or so) Yanmar has any problems with. There are a few wet spots, but not where the house and lawn wil be.

Any thoughts on tire choices? Of course, I still have a few days to change my mind and go with the 7800, but thus far I have not been able to justify the extra money. And if this helps, my neighbor has used a JD 650 with turf tires to brushhog the fields for the past 20 years.

Thanks in advance for any help -- and I hope my next post is to tell everyone when my new tractor is coming!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

R4s or turfs

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-06-13          88423

I always tend to recommend turfs over R-4's but I have noticed that the latest batch of turfs on Kubota's have a "V" shaped instead of a flat tread cross-section.

I am not sure I would choose that tire over an R-4 if I was looking for a broad flat footprint. ....

R4s or turfs

View my Photos
F350Lawman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-06-13          88430

"Horse related chores"

Enough said, get the R-4s! You will be bogged down with horse doo-doo filling those turfs the first time it rains. Don't even think about trying to pull some wet clay and manure out from the sheds with a back blade with turfs. The R-4s alos do well pulling a cart through DEEP snow as well.

I don't know why a dealer would recommend turfs, I see plenty of "horse tractors" near me and they all have AGs or R-4s. If they ahve turfs it is only on their "mowing tractor" ....

R4s or turfs

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-06-13          88433

Horse doo-doo? Lawman, you have made the transition. I am in awe. ....

R4s or turfs

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2004-06-13          88435

"Doo-doo". It's the new me...no more "potty mouth" :)

I've seen plenty of horse doo-doo these days. After a pretty snowy and wet winter/early spring I had the task of cleaning out about 100 square yards around the run-in sheds. The horses spent much of the winter in that area due to 3 feet of snow and ice in much of the field. The JD 45 7' back blade cleared up that nasty wet manure/clay pretty quickly. Must have made a 10 cubic yard pile when I was done.

The ares is BONE dry now and is now graded to help keep it that way. I really like using the BB, it can be challenging but it is very nice to see the results. Not as hard as I thought it would be to get good , even results. Some posts Ihad read made me think it would be a real pain.

Can't wait to re-gravel several hundred feet of driveway later this month.

P.S. Later this month I am suppose to transition back, well at least part time. I may have to go by the new name of F350p/tLawman :0 On the downside I have less time for tractoring, but I have more $$ for tractor toys...I'd say it's even. ....

R4s or turfs

View my Photos
Longhair

2004-06-13          88436

Lawmann how you doing. It's Dualls from the diesel stop.How's the wife and kids and the F350.I just turned 200k on mine ....

R4s or turfs

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2004-06-13          88437

Hey, how the heck you been?? "Longhair", I guess that's an accurate description :) Didn't realize you were a tractor guy too. I get on the Ford site rarely these days. Other than tires, my truck is much the same and running perfect at 105K. Probably why I don't post anymore, truck has been perfect...so not much to complain about. Truck so steady it's boring :) Last time we talked you had made some performance mods, guess it worked out.

I bought the tractor last year and keep adding attachments as I go. I really needed it, place looks much nicer now.

You get up this way lately? Email me if you do. Hope business is good.

Scott ....

R4s or turfs

View my Photos
itsgottobegreen

2004-06-13          88440

Let me just say this about turfs. Not any good in mud. I was out brushing hogging on sunday(my birthdays in tuesday so I was trying to avoid working on my birthday) I was brushhogging around pond when I sunk in. I had the mud up to the axle. The turfs just sat and spun. Lucky me I was close enough to a telephone pole to get a comealong and a chain to the tractor to get myself out. ....

R4s or turfs

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-06-14          88449

Oliver; from the type of work you're describing I'd say the R4's would be your best choice. Turf tires are about as rare as woodpecker lips around here anymore on a compact. I demo'd a front wheel assist 4000 series Deere with turfs once and on wet grass it would'nt pull its self up a hill with a rear mount finish mower. I routinely drive over the lawn with the R4's and unless it's super wet you have a hard time finding a track. I know of a couple dealers who just aren't much interested in a trade in with turfs anymore. Frank. ....

R4s or turfs

View my Photos
jarndt

2004-06-14          88452

Ground pressure between R4's and turfs are about equal. They will BOTH tear up a lawn with EQUAL efficency if allowed to spin. Both will create depressions if the ground is wet. However, the R4's will keep you moving in the muck much better than the turfs, and they clean easier. ....

R4s or turfs

View my Photos
beagle

2004-06-14          88458

Get the R4s. You are using this as a tractor, not a lwan mower. You will be disappointed with the turfs. The R4's will perform well in all conditions. ....

R4s or turfs

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-06-14          88472

I disagree with the "R4's will perform well in all conditions" statement, but agree that if your choice is between turfs and R4s, go with the R4s. R4s stink big time in some clay soils, dry OR wet. ....

R4s or turfs

View my Photos
Longhair

2004-06-14          88516

Business is great.Got 10 to 15 employees.Looking at getting a Kubota L4330 w/cab and backhoe.I've needed one for 8 years ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login