Go Bottom Go Bottom

Tractor and Z Mower or just Tractor

View my Photos
StoneGate
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-06-03          87669

We are moving to 50 ac. in the hill country of Ohio. Most of the property is woods, but about 10 ac. are pasture and homesite. I will have about 20 -25 trees to mow around on the homesite and pasture area and a pond to mow around as well. Other than about two passes on each side of a 1/4 mile gravel road that is the extent of the mowing--probably a total of about 3 ac. I have been looking at the Kubota B7800 as a tractor for working in the woods, installing fencing, general work around the property and the like. However, I also looked at the ZD21 as well as other zero turns for just mowing. Do any of you have an opinion on whether the zero turn will save much time in the mowing? If I went with the tractor only would you recommend a belly mower (60") or a rear finishing mower? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-06-03          87671

StoneGate; How much of your mowing do you want to be front yard quality? I've had both for years and no rear mount finsh mower will give you the quality if cut that a belly mount or a dedicated front mount like the zero turn machines. If your fornt yard type mowing is a smaller part of your needs I'd suggest a good used rider for the front yard and a rear mount rotary such as a Deere MX5 for the driveway and rougher mowing. Belly mount mowers on a CUT are expensive, and real pain to remove and service. Just my thoughts, Frank. ....

View my Photos
tracer

2004-06-03          87672

Greetings Stonegate
I would recommend a tractor with a rear mower simply because it sounds as if you will need more toys er tools to work on that much property. I have about the same situation and use both the 5ft rear mower for the open areas and a riding mower for trim and close in work. I could get by with a weed eater and just the rear mower but the wife wont run the 790 cause it scares her, she says. I have the FEL and rear blade too but I find I could use more tractor like a 990 or even a 4000 series but money and the boss say I have enough toys er tools to do the job. Shes right but I believe Get as much tractor as you can afford cuase you WILL find a use for it. Especially with as much land that you have. Take a look at the Green and Blue machines too you might find something you really like.Do test drive as much as you can. I am partial to Green but there are many factors to consider, dealer service, location and local deals available are just a few. Hope this helps.
Tracer ....

View my Photos
StoneGate

2004-06-03          87673

Frank & Tracer -

Thanks for the input. I forgot to mention that I have a JD LT150. I suppose I could use it for around the trees and the tractor for the rest. This grass is not what I would consider a showpiece lawn and we probably don't care for it to be. Sounds like I could get by with the finishing mower. I expect to get a FEL, box blade and phd. I will also get a bush hog for the pasture. Any recommendations on attachments? Also, what would compare to the Kubota B7800 in green and blue in your opinions?

Thanks again,
StoneGate ....

View my Photos
tracer

2004-06-03          87675

Stonegate
Ther is a long post that compares and contrasts the 4210 with the 7800 on the Deere owning buying page I believe. I do not have nor have I tested the orange machines much but there is much info on this board, some quite spirited, . Just do a search on either or both and you will get more than you probably want to read about the two.
Tracer ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-06-03          87687

You could use the JD for the tight area around the house or maybe move into a newer Z style to quicken the day to day chore of mowing and move up to a L-4300 or like to make short order of any additionl field work that might come up as well as anything you might like to do in the woods. ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-06-04          87708

I've been thinking about the Z mower or another of that type also. Other than the maneuverability it would seem that a mower that could tilt the mower deck up 90 degrees would be a big advantage for maintenance over a lawn tractor/CUT with MMM type. I've seen the big pro mowers do this. Do any of the regular zero turn mowers allow it?
Dave ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-06-04          87712

The Deere F687 does. It is a ZTR mower but it is a front mower. ....

Link:   F687

View my Photos
Art White

2004-06-04          87714

Kubota's Z models have front jacks built into them for fast service when needed. They also do to there advanced drive train use hydraulic PTO clutches like used on bigger farm tractors unlike the Lawn tractor electric PTO clutches used on other brands. ....

View my Photos
StoneGate

2004-06-04          87749

Thanks for all of the input. I went out and looked at the Kubotas again today. I made the mistake of driving the L3130--what a difference between the B7800 and L series! That trip probably cost me a few thousand. I still am not sure I like the Z turn mowers. I drove again and they really must take some getting used to. I am beginning to think I might just get by with the tractor with a rear finishing mower and my little JD LT150 for around the trees and trimming the edges.

Again, thanks for all the input. I will be back later for pricing info as I start to work on the deal.

StoneGate ....

View my Photos
texbaylea

2004-06-04          87758

StoneGate:
I am in the final stages of purchasing an L3130. I plan to use a 6' LandPride rear finish mower. I have a 4' LandPride RFM now that I have used for years. Keep the blades sharp and the quality of cut is excellent. That is one of the delays, the pricing on trading the current RFM. I expect to be able to mow close enough to the buildings and plantings that I can finish with a weedeater or the DR Trimmer/Mower. I am setting the L3130 up so I can do 90-95% of my work from the tractor seat. An L3130 with a FA723 loader with Quick Attach, pallet forks for the loader plus a grapple kit and tooth bar. I am convinced that it will do everything I plan on. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login