Go Bottom Go Bottom

Lawn mower

View my Photos
Oliver
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-06-01          87443

It is taking me a long time to buy that first tractor as each decision seems to create another. As I ponder what to purchase (either a 7800 or 7510) it has become clear that a number of people are not using their tractor to mow. Instead, people are buying equipment specifically to mow with. After thinking about my needs, this is the route that I am planning on taking. Also, it seems like for the price of a 3PH or MMM deck I can by a pretty nice piece of equipment.

I just advertised my John Deere LT155 with 38" deck for sale. Now, I am deciding what to buy for a mower. I have looked at new husqvarna 32" ($2000) and 48" ($2700) walk behinds and recenty left a message for someone selling a 2002 Snaper Pro Express, 35" deck, for $950. I don't mind the walking (it's the only exercise I get!) but also like the thought of being able to add a sulky if I feel like riding.

My question is what kinds of mowers are people happy with? Any thoughts of brands to stay away from, or brands and models people like will be greatly appreciated!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Lawn mower

View my Photos
drcjv.
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-06-01          87446

Two years ago I bought a TC33D and did not want to mow my lawn with it so I was faced with the same question. What to buy to mow with? There are many great mowers that are good and fast especially the zero turns, but that is all they do cut grass. I opted for another tractor a JD G100 25HP with a 54" deck, not only does it cut grass but I can use it for many other uses like pull the manure spreader or a wagon that I am loading or empting with the bigger tractor. I can leave on implement on the 33 while pulling something else with the other. Just my solution good luck. ....

Lawn mower

View my Photos
oneace
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-06-02          87562

What is your price range? Kubota makes a nice diesel TG series lawn mower. I think it is about $4,000. Art would be able to tell you more. They also make excellent zero turns. The most popular with us is the zd21 with a 60" deck. What size deck are you looking for. How much grass do you have to mow. The ZD mowers are pretty expensive. ....

Lawn mower

View my Photos
itsgottobegreen

2004-06-02          87587

I cut grass for a living. Check out a eXmark metro. They are great machines. 48" belt drives go for $2600. I have a 32" model. Never had a problem with it. It get 1 to 5 hours a week worth of used, 35 weeks a year for 6 years now. I wouldn't get the snapper or husqvarna mowers. Just not the same quality of a eXmark, scag, bobcat,etc. ....

Lawn mower

View my Photos
Oliver

2004-06-03          87600

I'm looking to spend somewherein the $2000 - $2500 range. In terms of size, between 36" and 42" seems like it would be a good balance between size and manuvereability. It will be used exclusively for residential work -- maybe mow my parents or in-laws on occasion but I don't have the time or inclination to do more than that. ....

Lawn mower

View my Photos
Oliver

2004-06-03          87603

I just did an Intenet search for Exmark -- the nearest dealer is about 40 minutes away. As a firm believer in dealer support, I would lean toward buying a different brand from a dealer that is closer by. Anyone else have thoughts on the Husqvarnas? Other local dealers carry Scag, Toro, Simplicity, Troy Built, Snapper, John Deere -- I'm sure there are others but I haven't looked to extensively yet. Thanks! ....

Lawn mower

View my Photos
oneace

2004-06-03          87666

Ask your Kubota dealer to show you there lawn and garden line. Also Cub cadet makes a fairly decent mower, I just bought a used 1862 with a 42" deck hyd. power steering, hyd. deck lift etc. Included wheel weights chains and a blade (which will just collect dust) for $2,200. There are allot of used mowers coming in every where that are in very good condition that are being traded for compacts. ....

Lawn mower

View my Photos
Chief

2004-06-03          87668

You may want to consider these guys. Not many have heard of them but they invented the ZTR. I believe their prices are in the $3000 range give or take. ....

Link:   50" ZERO-TURN MOWER

Lawn mower

View my Photos
Art White

2004-06-03          87689

I'd recommend a used garden tractor for what it sounds like you want to do. Many people have moved up to the sub-compacts in the last four years after being introduced by Kubota. That has left a huge glut in dealers lots of clean late model garden tractors that should be selling for a lot more money then they are currently bringing often competing with the new low priced lawn tractor prices. ....

Lawn mower

View my Photos
Oliver

2004-06-04          87694

I am looking for a front mower rather than a MMM. I find that with my lawn tractor I cannot get under and around trees as well as I would like. My thought is that with a walk behind mower I will be able to cut down on the amount of trimming I need to do. Also, am I correct in thinking that a commercial walk behind will allow me to mow at a faster speed than a lawn tractor? It seems like the guys I see using scag-type mowers have a much higher ground speed than I would ever use with my current lawn tractor. Thanks for the input thus far! ....

Lawn mower

View my Photos
Murf

2004-06-04          87701

I have the same thoughts, a good dedicated mower will cut faster, and leave less 'trim' cutting than any CUT mower can just by virtue of the design.

My first preference is a Commercial FMM, I have several that I use depending on the task.

For large area cutting I have a Ransomes Jaguar 6000, it is a 4 wheeler (2wd) with a 30hp 3 cylinder Kubota diesel & 63" deck. It will cut grass 8-9" high at jogging speed (6-8mph). You could probably find a good used one for about $2500.00 and for homeowner use would last a lifetime.

For smaller areas or regular cutting I use a Ferris ProCut 20, it is a 3 wheeler with a 23hp Kohler engine powering a 61" deck. It is a grass-cutting industry standard. Bullet-proof and dead simple to operate & maintain. A reasonable shape used unit can be had for about $1500.00 and again, will probably last a homeowner a lifetime.

The big advantage to both of these units is that they are HIGHLY manueverable, cut way faster than any 'homeowner' machine, and becuse of the FMM design can cut under trees and around obstacles with little effort.

Best of luck. ....

Lawn mower

View my Photos
Chief

2004-06-04          87711

In my opinion, one of the best front mowers in the industry is the John Deere F687. Have you looked at one of those. They are in the upper $7,000 price range though. VERY nice machines. ....

Link:   F687

Lawn mower

View my Photos
Oliver

2004-06-04          87723

I just came across a Toro Proline 44" deck, 14HP Kohler engine with a velkie (I think that is what it's called) for $1000. It has been used to mow commercially. It is being sold by a dealer who will back it for 30 days -- this dealer has serviced it since new. Any thoughts? ....

Lawn mower

View my Photos
Murf

2004-06-04          87732

"Commercially" is not as informative as how many hours are on it. It could be a good deal, it could be tired and ready to fall apart.

A Proline is not a HST unit so if you have many trees to deal with this may not be the unit for you, especially with a velkie (stand up on sulky), it makes reversing a PITA.

Look for a 3 or 4 wheeler, you will be happier in the long run.

Best of luck. ....

Lawn mower

View my Photos
metastable

2004-06-04          87734

I've been very pleased with my Cub Cadet 1525 mower. It's got a smaller cut, but is well built. The engine is a Kawasaki twin. True hydrostatic drive (no shifter or belt clutching). The frame is solid, and everything but the dash is made of metal. For larger jobs, I use my Kubota 7610 with 60" 3P finish mower. ....

Lawn mower

View my Photos
Oliver

2004-06-04          87735

It seems that hydro ads quite a bit to the price. I have seen used belt drive machines in the $950 - $2000, no hydros. Only recently (through a converstaion with a very helpful Scag dealer) did I learn about that belt drive machines do not have true reverse. (Or at least this is what I understood him to say). Do people think I'll kick myself for the next 20 years if I don't spend the money now on hydro or will a belt-drive mower suffice? I guess I never really think about how much I back up when I mow. I'll pay attention next time I mow my lawn. ....

Lawn mower

View my Photos
Murf

2004-06-04          87736

Oliver, I think it best described as one of those 'how did I do without it all these years?' things.

Most people never think of reverse being a big deal when it comes to mowing. Then again most people don't do it for a living either, nor do they care (even if they do think baout it) if it takes a little extra time.

However, if you ever try a FM Commercial HST unit you will quickly see the difference and benefits.

Big evergreens are a piece of cake when you can quickly and effortlessly stuff the cutter 4' under the tree before a branch gets anywhere near to you. Most obstacles are just as easy to deal with.

I guess it's like A/C, lots of people say they don't need it, but it sure is easy to get used to it, and there's no doubting it makes life a little easier.

Best of luck. ....

Lawn mower

View my Photos
Oliver

2004-06-04          87741

I like the analogy -- my parents never had AC in their cars, so I didn't either until I got married -- and I cannot imagine not having it now! Every dollar I spend on a mower is a dollar less for a tractor and implements -- but I do feel the need to look at and for a mower with hydro.

And in terms of buying a mower that has been used commercially, I'm hoping to find one that was used by a reputable, local firm. It seems that if someone is making a living off his mower, he ought to be maintaining it on a regular basis. And buying from a dealer will make me feel better, as at least the dealer will have gone through the machine and is willing to stand by it for at least 30 days. Because I am not that mechanically inclined I am not too comfortable buying used equipment from a stranger. I've seen how some of my friends maintain things(or don't, as the case may be)... ....

Lawn mower

View my Photos
itsgottobegreen

2004-06-05          87791

I have owned both beltdrives and hydros walkbehinds. The hydro is the only way to go, if you are doing a lot a backing up or a lot of hills. My eXmark is a belt drive, because at the time I bought it, No one made a 32" hydro. Now Wright and eXmark do. Finding a walkbehind right now is hard. Since its still the begging of the mowing season. Best time to find and buy one is in the winter. I don't currently own any hydros. I up graded them to the wright stander. A stand up mower. www.wrightmfg.com

Lawn mower

View my Photos
Burger

2004-06-11          88355

I would recommend a dual hydro unit. You get reverse. Belt drives are cheaper for a reason. Hydro's are pricy but very nice, easy to control and SAFE on hills. I purchased an Exmark Viking dual hydro 36" fixed deck (not cheap) for the steep ground I can not safely mow with my BX2230 / 60"mmm It is VERY nice. Husqvarna gets a good nod for easy deck height adjustment, however i did not care for the controls. ....

Lawn mower

View my Photos
itsgottobegreen

2004-06-13          88438

Cheak out burger's pictures of his new toys on www.lawnsite.com Do a search for "can your mower do this". The pictures are really neat. My Kubota with snowblower is on the second page. ....

Lawn mower

View my Photos
ill

2004-06-21          89100

Im looking at a toro proline 44 mower with a side bag for $1400. Not used commersialaly ....

Lawn mower

View my Photos
itsgottobegreen

2004-06-22          89135

Need more info to go one. engine, model, hydro, belt drive, fixed or floating deck, etc. A picture would be good. ....

Lawn mower

View my Photos
FERRARI

2004-06-22          89136

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v248/GARYTUCKER/DSC00176.jpg

If you want you lawn to look like this then get a MMM! With HST there is no trouble at all about getting around trees...I have over 75 trees on 4 acres...not touble at all... ....

Link:   http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v248/GARYTUCKER/DSC00176.jpg

Picture Link
Kubota Tractors Lawn mower

Lawn mower

View my Photos
Burger

2004-06-22          89177

ExMark Viking 36" fixed deck Dual Hydro
15 horse Kawasaki 4 stroke
2-18" blades
Deck TriVantageŽ 5" deep. Continuous seam welded with 10-gauge top and 7-gauge skirt, height adjustable 1-4.25"
weight 498 lbs, Width 36.4", Height 43.2", Length 78"

Link:   Exmark Viking

Picture Link
Kubota Tractors Lawn mower

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login