Go Bottom Go Bottom

An Orange Machine in the Neighborhood

View my Photos
murphyg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-27          84520

With all the help and advice from Ken, Art, Murf, Mark, AV8R, Chief and others I decided on the BX 2230,loader, 54" mower and bagger. Probably a BX 1500 would have been enough, but now I have plenty of power. My John Deere neighbors with a 585 and 455 were surprised how quiet this tractor is. Now I am just waiting for the grass to grow. I have done some digging with the loader and it works very well. If anyone has any tips on taking off and putting on the bagger I would appreciate that information. Thanks again to the forum.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-28          84576

Glad I could be of some small assistance in the process and congratulations.

Another Muphy on an Orange machine, it does the heart good!

LOL.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
murphyg

2004-04-28          84586

Yes after almost 20 years of being green, I turned orange. You and Art had a lot to do with my decision. So far I am very impressed with the quality.

Thanks,

Greg ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-04-28          84587

It is hard to beat the quality of a Kubota or a Yanmar Deere. Have fun, glad we could help.

View my Photos
murphyg

2004-04-28          84588

Mark,

Did you change your ID? ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-04-28          84590

Yes. A couple months ago. ....

View my Photos
BigJimB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-04-28          84592

I agree, I could use some tips on taking off and putting on the rear bagger on a BX2230
the 1st time I took it off took several hours and 2 jacks
I learned a lot that time and think I could now do it in about 1/2 hr. I have not tried putting it back on yet.
I am not a mechanic and have never worked with 3 pt hitch before, I know it looks easy. But,getting everything lined up was not easy plus dealing with those little rings that hold the pins in place in areas you can not get to easily.
There has to be some tips or shortcuts. ....

View my Photos
murphyg

2004-04-28          84596

Big Jim,

I don't feel so bad. It took me about 30 minutes to put it on. I was thinking more like 5-7 minutes would be good.
I know the product manager for the BX tractors. I will put a call into him and see if he has any tips.

View my Photos
Murf

2004-04-28          84602

I thought the best Irishmen were always Orangemen......

ROFLMAO......

Or is that just on July 12th ?

BTW, tip for Newbies who are not used to those little clips, they're actually called Linch Pins, used to hold something on the pins of the 3pth. Be very careful, they have a nasty hbit of snapping closed on the finger holding them, and boy-o-boy does it smart, in cold weather you'd almost think you're going to lose the finger completely. My nephew calls them "leg-hold" pins after the old-style animal traps, when one snaps shut on your finger you might well agree.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2004-04-28          84605

Thank You and Congratulations on your new toy. I can't help you yet with the bagger as we sell more trailers then the mounted type but as soon as I can find out will let you know. I would think ten minutes is a realistic time frame from when I've looked at them. ....

View my Photos
BigJimB

2004-04-28          84653

It was not the lynch pins I had problems with this time. All of them on my bagger were replaced with rings that work like key rings. They were in the holes that should have lynch pins. I am going to replace them with either snap pins or lynch pins unless this will cause a problem.
One thing for sure, the key rings will never vibrate out and fall off while you are mowing.
. ....

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-04-28          84658

Well murphy & murf, I will soon be jioning you as an irish man with an orange tractor. I am trading the green thing in for a Kub. The wierd thing was the dealer steered me away from the 3430 & over to the 3130 hst. The 3130 was a good foot taller b/c of the tire size. i fell in love. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-04-29          84701

Congratulations on the new machine! Glad I was able to be of help. I am sure you will be very satisfied with it. ....

View my Photos
BigJimB

2004-04-29          84736

I went out tonight and put the rear bagger on in less than 20 minutes. Next time I will try for under 15 minutes. I bet if I had some one to put the pins in while I moved it around to get it lined up, I could do it under 10 minutes.
Still easier to spend the extra time than have the wife help with the pins.
The trick I learned tonight is to put a 2 by 4 block under the stands and it is a lot closer to lining everything up.
I also got rid of the key rings and used snap pins to keep the pins in place. ....

View my Photos
murphyg

2004-04-29          84741

Thanks for the tip BigJim. I will also be changing to snap pins. ....

View my Photos
blizzard

2004-04-30          84769

Grassgod,
I hope you are as satisfied with your L3130HST as I am with mine. After almost 400 hours the little beast continues to amaze me!
Good Luck with your new tractor,
bliz ....

View my Photos
murphyg

2004-04-30          84785

Just to let everyone know I did talk with the Product Manager for the B and BX series Kubota tractors today. He said he asked his engineers to look at putting together a pictorial of the best way to take the bagger on and off. He said he hopes to have a prototype document to me by next week. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-04-30          84794

All these proud Irish owners of Orange machines....

Maybe we should organize a group and enter in the Orange Day parade on July 12th and give Dennis a little free publicity for the Board.

On the other hand maybe I should stop putting a shot of Bushmills in my coffee....

But it WOULD be quite a sight, probably scare the horses though.

Hey, they could put us at the back, behind all the horses, and we could be the 'super-dooper pooper scoopers'.

ROFLMAO.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-04-30          84827

Glad to hear I'm not alone in the opinion of the grass catcher! Aside from the 2x4 idea, helper(or 2) and the linch pins, I've found that liberal amounts of cussing helps get the **** thing on and off. The vacuume works so well, it's ashame it's so much of a pain to install/remove. ....

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-05-02          85010

Murf - i am all for the orange day parade!!! ....

View my Photos
BigJimB

2004-05-02          85013

If you get something from Kubota on how to take off and put on the vacumn unit, please foreward me a copy.
Still think there has to be a better way, it looks so easy but it is mostly just fight with it until you get the pins in.
I was thinking over the weekend of building a small stand with 4 jacks ( one at each corner) so I could line it up by myself.
I like to mow most times without the bagger so I will taking it on and off a lot if I find a quick easy way. ....

View my Photos
murphyg

2004-05-03          85052

BigJim, The product manager said he would have some improved directions with pictures in a about a week or so.
I will either email them to you once I get them or post them somewhere. I am not sure if there is a way to post a PDF or documents on the forum?

View my Photos
BigJimB

2004-05-30          87304

murphyg
Did you get anything from Kubota on installing the vacumn unit. I have it down to under 15 minutes if I can get the top pin lined up without too much problem, but that is where I am having problems, both on and off. To get it off I drive the pin out, but not much room to get a hammer in there to work. To get it lined up to install the top pin, if i use both hands I can line everything up but when I try to let go and use one hand to install the pin things slip and I curse and start over. I hope Kubota has some ideas. Jim ....

View my Photos
murphyg

2004-06-01          87406

Big Jim,

I have called the product manager once and he has not responded. I am thinking he probably hopes I will go away.
I will call him again since he promised me something about two weeks ago. I have found coming off to be real easy. I have found when putting it back you have to put the center pin in place and the fight with the two side pieces.

I take the loader on and off in a couple of minutes. I wish I could say the same for the bagger. I will check with the Kubota person again.

Greg ....

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-06-01          87452

If you find something out-- let me know too, and I'll put it up on my website!

I want to add a grass catcher page detailing this. The catcher/blower work so well, it's a shame it's such a b*tch to install! ....

Link:   My Website

View my Photos
murphyg

2004-06-01          87467

Big Jim and AV8R, Below is what was sent to me from the product manager at Kubota. In my opinion it is not hard getting it off, the issue is getting it back on. I have asked if the installation is the reverse of the removal.

Greg:

For the BX1500, remove the grass catcher as described below. (disregard the wood blocks if it is not a BX1500, step #2) 1. Place tractor on flat surface.
2. Place 2 pieces of 2 x4 wood blocks under the rear tires to raise the rear end about 2". Shut off tractor.
3. Lower the grass catcher parking stands as shown in page 10 of the ops
manual.
4. Loosen the check chains on the 3 pt hitch lift arms.
4. Disconnect the top link pin from the top link support on the tractor.
The grass catcher parking stands should now be contacting the ground.
5. Disconnect the right hand side 3PT lift arm from the grass catcher
hitch pin.
NOTE: Careful with the lift arm as it is not connected to the tractors lift rod arm.
6. Disconnect the left hand side lift arm from the grass catcher hitch pin.
NOTE: Careful with the lift arm as it is not connected to the tractors lift rod arm.
7. Disconnect the grass catch PTO shaft from tractor.
8. Start tractor and move forward. Shut off tractor.
9. Remove the tractor lift arms off the grass catcher storage area as shown in page 13 of the manual. Connect the tractor lift arms to the tractor as shown on page 8 of the grass catcher manual.

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-06-02          87507

In "THEORY" the installation is the reverse of removal, but in practice it just doesn't work that way. Installation is almost a required two person job, as was stated before, one person can line it all up, but you need the "third hand" to get the center link pin installed. If the rest stands were better designed this shouldn't be necessary. I've tried various blocks of wood and shims and anything I can think of to help in the allignment, nothing seems to work.

I have found that if you split the driveshaft into its two pieces, attach the spline to the tractor, then roll the tractor, by hand, back to the catcher and slide the shaft together again. This is much easier than trying to get your hand down to the slpine locking collar after assembly. Now if I can only get that center pin in... ....

View my Photos
BigJimB

2004-06-02          87566

I agree in theroy it looks easy to install, I have gotten to the point I mow 2 or 3 times a week so I do not have to install the bagger.
The main problem is the Top pin and it needs 3 hands or a lot of luck.
As for the PTO I have found if I wait until everything else is finished ( including raising the supports) then I lay on my back under the bags and hook up the PTO it works very easy, I also tighen the "chains" that keep the lower arms from swinging at the same time from underneath. When I take it off, this is my 1st step to lay under it and remove PTO and lossen "Chains" Then I lower supports. If the system didn't work so well once it is on, I can't wait to try it on leaves this fall ....

View my Photos
murphyg

2004-06-02          87569

I have forwarded your comments to the Kubota product manager. I think he believes us now? He said he would have an engineer look at our comments. We shall see if anything new is mentioned. Thanks. ....

View my Photos
BigJimB

2004-06-02          87583

My dealer told me when I bought the tractor that he does not sell many vacumn units and did not always keep them in stock, he did not say anything about how hard they are to put on. He said they take a long time for his mechanic to put all of the pieces together and mount on the tractor the 1st time. He definetly was not pushing me to buy one, (That was all my idea)It was the only part of the deal he did not want to cut the price from list. He did say they work very well especially for leaves.
This is not as bad as my old setup on my Ford but it looked complicated with 4 bolts to line up while holding the weight at the same time. It never had a stand and it had it's own motor that you had to get off and start again each time you dumped the leaves. The Kuboto with PTO is so much better plus more power and much easier to put on and off. ....

View my Photos
murphyg

2004-06-04          87700

Big Jim and AV8R I just got some directions done by the Kubota engineers with pictures. They are in a PDF format and about 1 MB in size. There are a few tricks shown in the presentation. I can either email these to you or post them. Please let me know what you would prefer. ....

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-06-04          87706

Murphyg: I turned on my e-mail, please send me that PDF. I will try to put it up on my website for everyone when I get it.

Larry ....

View my Photos
BigJimB

2004-06-04          87720

Murphyg
Why don't you email them to me as PDF file
It might also be a good idea to post. I hope there are more than the 3 of us out there who have the vacumn units.
They are a very good unit once installed and still a lot easier to install than my old system.

Thanks for getting this information.
Jim ....

View my Photos
murphyg

2004-06-04          87725

Jim,

I already have sent you the PDF to the email that is in your profile.

Greg ....

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-06-08          88106

Well guys, here's the results of the official Kubota installation procedure, with a few pictures.

I'll be darned if it didn't work slicker than grease!!(with one minor modification)

I am going to have to eat a bit of crow because of some of the bad things I've said about this installation now that I have the process down.

I hope this helps someone else!! ....

Link:   Bagger intsall

View my Photos
murphyg

2004-06-10          88258

AV8R, I will try the 1/2 inch board. I actually tried a 3/4 inch board and it worked pretty well. I did not have to use a car jack to line up the center pin.

Also I sent your web site link to the Product Manager at Kubota and he sent it on to his engineers suggesting that they need to as good of job as you did on your web site. This is a good example of how this forum works really well. ....

View my Photos
BigJimB

2004-06-10          88269

AV8R
Great web site, Lots of good stuff
I enjoy the garage project, My son built me a 30 by 52 garage and now we are working on the inside, hope to have heat next winter. ....

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-06-10          88277

Thank you for the kind words on the website. I just found out the hard way I only have 10 meg of space available, so I had to downsize many of the pictures. I hope they aren't too small now. I'd like to add more, so stay tuned. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login