Go Bottom Go Bottom

kubota why so light in weight

View my Photos
kully560
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-04-12          82871

can anybody answer this question why kubota are so light weight for there hp,kioti dk55 4685lbs,tn65 5140lbs ,john deere 5220 4730lbs kubota m4900 3968lbs all are 4x4 rops and 45 to 47 pto I guess maybe somebody might know thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
muletrain

2004-04-12          82873

They are light. Consider adding wheel weights to your purchase if you will be doing any loader work. I run around with a round bale on my behind until I get some beet juice in my tires, or add EZ weights.Else My L5030 stands on its nose. ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-12          82881

I agree with your observation. It was a factor for me in choosing JD over Kubota. It had more weight and looked like a much more substantial chunk of metal to me for equal HP. ....

View my Photos
beagle
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-12          82898

I'm not sure on the L-series, but I know on the B-series Kubota uses cast aluminum for some of the housings that others use cast iron for. It makes a substantial difference in the overall weight of the machine. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2004-04-12          82900

Kobota uses more aluminum for the castings than other manufactures. They tend not to use the standard 3 main castings to carry the load of the tractor using a steel sub frame between the front and rear of the tractor.
There are pros and cons to this as most modern backhoes use these frames to reduce the load on the main castings. Naturally it is more difficult to repair a clutch for example.
Do to the reduced mass the wheels and rims etc are reduced further contributing to the lower mass.
I suspect that the engines are on a weight diet also but can not find any weight factors for the engines to compare.

View my Photos
beagle

2004-04-13          83050

The lighter weight does give these tractors and excellent power to weight ratio, and has distinct advantages for mowing and tip-toeing around on the lawn. As far as cast alluminum vs. cast iron, I have never heard of a problem with Kubota's aluminum housings.

As mentioned earlier, add wheel weights when traction is an issue. Shed the weight when not needed. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-04-13          83054

All of the hp in the world will do you no good if you don't have the weight to get the traction. Kubota makes a great tractor but I prefer the heavier castings and weight of the other tractors. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2004-04-14          83071

JD was the first to use the newer design of full frame and the component chassis and all of the major tractor lines are currently using it. On the larger farm tractors for tillage work a weight to horsepower ratio of 130 lbs per horsepower has been the most optimum. Tractors used on lawns are better to be around 70 to 90 lbs per horsepower for maximum performance. Some companies are using older chassis castings that have been retired from use in the newer designed tractors. ....

View my Photos
beagle

2004-04-14          83075

Art, any experience with problems from Kubota's aluminum castings, other than misuse? Be interested in knowing whether it has ever been an issue. ....

View my Photos
BigBob

2004-04-14          83078

One of the deciding factors for me was the weight issue. My yard is very wet all year long it seems, and the lighter Kubota 7500 (1397 lbs) for more HP made sense to me. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-04-14          83081

We work our fleet pretty hard, even my dealer is rather surprised at how well they hold up.

Neither traction nor aluminum componenets have ever been a problem.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2004-04-15          83157

Beagle, I have never seen any broken nor any problems from "properly" set-up tractors. I say that as a fellow had a Woods 7500 in a while back on a B-2400 and he was having axle problems which was understandable as it should have been a 6' backhoe on that model. The good part of the lighter weight is the ability to add the ballast where it is needed. To many tractors are to heavy to perform well under all conditions. It is nice to know that you are adding to the life of the tractor by not having it built to heavy and reducing the drivetrain life as well as the engine every time you use it. Because of the hills in oour area many of the farm tractors have been made to heavy and they are very sluggish to operate and get up to speed. Since the radar guns have become more common on the farm tractors we are finding the trend is to go lighter. For the believe it or not even tire life has nearly doubled. ....

View my Photos
beagle

2004-04-15          83174

Thanks Art. The weight of the Kubota was one of the reasons I really liked them. Makes it easier on the lawn, the trailer, and the tow vehicle. Plus there is a noticeable difference in the power to weight ratio.

I have ny rear R-4's loaded. I have considered removing the fluid and using rear wheel weights when I need the ballast or traction. Any thoughts on whether this would be a good move? ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-04-15          83190

After several leaks I did just that and I have never regretted it. ....

View my Photos
muletrain

2004-04-15          83194

Isn't there a newer fluid than CaCL which is made from beets and does not have the corrosion danger? I think it may even be slightly more dense as well. Has anyone tried it? Where can I find it? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-04-15          83195

It's called RimGuard. Last I looked it wasn't available in many areas. ....

View my Photos
beagle

2004-04-15          83213

My Kubota dealer used nothing but Rimguard. The calcium chloride was too nasty on the rims. Check with your dealer, I don't thing very many of them still use CaCl. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-04-15          83218

I talked to four dealers when shopping and all of them out here in NW Oregon seem to use CaCl. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-04-15          83219

My MF135 has had CaCl since it was born in the 70's. Only one rim rusted through a couple of years ago. Have never touched the other. Must be lucky at something, finally!!!! ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-04-15          83220

Generally CaCl is only ever put into a tube within the tire. The only way it could cause a rim to corrode would be if the tube leaked and allowed some CaCl to come in direct contact with the rim itself.

In the weird and wonderful world of bureaucracy, there are many wrong turns, here's one of them.

The DOT says CaCl is considered a hazardous material in quantities above 20 litres (about 5.3 US gal.).

A tire is not an 'approved container' for transporting Hazardous Materials.

Therefore, transporting a tractor with tires loaded with CaCl is not legal. According to the rules the tires should be pumped out, the tractor shipped with empty tires, then the tires refilled at the other end.

HOWEVER, there's always a however, isn't there, to keep farmers from being criminals, they deem tires on a tractor being DRIVEN down the road to be exempt.

So, if the tractor is on a float it's against the law, if you're driving it it's ok.

Clear as mud, huh?

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-04-15          83223

Ya, mine developed a leak around the stem that sealed itself for years, rusting the rim from the inside. When we noticed that the rim was rusty, it was too late and about a 2" donut fell out where the stem hole should have been. The entire rim was rusted on the inside as the fluid eat its way around.

I've never heard that one about hauling a loaded tractor. I knew we shouldn't haul loaded guns. Oh well! ....

View my Photos
beagle

2004-04-15          83230

There must be a big difference between calcium chloride and sodium chloride if the DOT considers it a hazerdous material in high concentrations. You should see the way they dump the salt on the roads around here. Rots your rims from the outside in, along with everything else it touches. You get the opportunity to watch it happen. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2004-04-16          83369

I prefer the add on weights as they can be removed if not needed. On the big farm tractors you can be cosiderably lighter with radial tires and still have about the same traction! It is a major factor to us to sell a tractor lighter for overall performance and longevity. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login