Go Bottom Go Bottom

Realistic horsepower losses

View my Photos
jonathanengr
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-06          82304

I've been told that buying an L3430 with a cab would be a bad choice. Supposedly, I'll lose a lot of HP since it only comes with hydrostatic drive, and I was told I'd lose *5-10* more HP due to the air conditioning. Is this true? Does anyone have any idea what the net HP is for an L3430 with cab would be? Also, will it be able to run most any "residential" implements okay such as a brush mower, finishing mower, tiller, auger, etc.? Thanks!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
StephenR
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-06          82305

You do lose HP with the hydrostatic. As for the AC, if you don't use it you won't lose it. But I guess that's defeating the purpose.
Look at the PTO hp. That one is more realistic. As I remember, Kubota's PTO hp and the engine hp was more of a dramatic difference than the NH and JD. ....

View my Photos
kubotaguy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-04-06          82306

I have found that with a Hydro, you usually run out of traction before you run out of power. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-04-06          82307

The hydrostatic loss at the pto is only about 1.5 hp (per Kubota) and shouldn't be a big deal. I don't know what the AC compressor loss is, but I'd bet it isn't anywhere near 10 hp. Maybe 2-3, which will put you about where the 3130 is power wise, and only when you use the A/C. I wouldn't see that as much of a problem. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-04-06          82310

According to Kubota's website the model HSTC and others grouped in with the L3430 have 35 gross HP and 27 HP at the PTO. You will lose a little power to run the AC even if it isn't in operation. I wouldn't be concerned about the losses. A cab is a nice option if it suits your needs. ....

View my Photos
busguy

2004-04-06          82311

The A/C comp will draw between 3 to 6hp depending on mass flow and load conditions. You also have to figure on added alternator load from evap/cond fans and electric clutch. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-04-06          82312

It's interesting that Kubota specifies 27 pto hp on the 3430 with or without the cab. Doesn't sound right. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-04-06          82313

In our fleet we have several L4330's both in a HSTC and GST versions. Doing similar work side-by-side there is very little if any noticeable difference at slow to moderate speeds, air conditioning or not. It is only when we are running at or near full speed that the GST's pull away from the Hydro's.

My own unit at home is an L4310HSTC and I have tried turning the A/C on & off while working the machine hard, such as bush-hogging, snow-blowing or snow-plowing and I can't perceive any difference.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
beagle

2004-04-06          82314

There is only a 1.5 hp difference at the pto of the 3430 between gear and hydro. You will have 27hp at the pto with the hydro trans., and 28.5hp with the gear. Even with a 3-6hp loss from the a/c, you should have plenty left for most residential implements. They are usually rated at 18 to 35hp based on the torque capacity of the gear boxes. ....

View my Photos
jonathanengr

2004-04-06          82327

I spoke with my local dealer, and he told me that there is *zero* HP loss. I find that sort-of difficult to believe, but as someone said the Kubota page agrees with this info.

However, I did get two names from the dealer of people who bought 3430 cab tractors. I just spoke to the second guy this afternoon, and both say they have yet to see a single bit of difference with the compressor running or not. One of the guys has a 3130 w/hydro trans, and he told me that the 3430 with hydro and a/c is still easily stronger than the 3130 (would 3 hp make that much difference??). That does put my mind at ease, but please feel free to speak up if anyone has a different opinion or experience. ....

View my Photos
jeff r

2004-04-10          82615

Like the guy said, when it comes to tractors you always lose traction before you run out of horsepower. When was the last time you got your tractor stuck because you ran out of horsepower??? The only situation I could see where lack of horsepower woould come into play is if you have a HUGE PTO driven piece of equipment that is oversized for your tractor. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2004-04-10          82646

It does depend some what on the efficiency of the compressor but I am sure there is some energy used. The compressor use vertually no energy when off and will kick in when required. With the torque of the diesel I can not tell when the air cuts in on the diesel truck but on smaller cars you can.
From what Murf stated earlier on a post the cab on the Kubota was well thought out and I would guess that the air is likely a high efficiency compressor and uses less power than older ones. If the cost is not great I might go with the extra power to compensate. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login