Go Bottom Go Bottom

Should I get a cab

View my Photos
jonathanengr
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-31          81719

I've mostly decided on a Kubota, but found a new twist at the dealership the other day. The tractor I was thinking of buying--the 3430--now has a cab option. This is very enticing to me--a controlled environment is something I would like, and it would make my wife enjoy using the tractor much more, too. The doors and windows can be opened if I want the "fresh air", so I'll still get that aspect. Best of all? Who cares if I hit a yellow jacket's nest (I hit 3 or 4 every year--OUCH!).

Anyway, what are the drawbacks--other than the $4000 price tag--for a cab? Does it limit attachments? Visibility? Resale value? Harder to maintain? Etc.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Should I get a cab

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-31          81726

Jonathan, I have an L4310 with the cab on it.

As for drawbacks, you couldn't really put a backhoe on it, and any implement which is tall, such as a vertical 3pth woodsplitter requires a little more attention than with an open-station machine.

Other than that it has caused some visibilty problems for my WIFE, she doesn't see me much any more, I'm out in the tractor doing something all the time. LOL. Maybe that's a good thing.

Well worth the money IMHO.

Best of luck. ....

Should I get a cab

View my Photos
feeneyjj
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-03-31          81734

I would also love to have a cab but, since I have to work close to a lot of trees, presume a branch would break a window the first day. I have seen it happen to someone (a big John Deere). So, unless Kubota has glass the strength of steel, I guess I'll have to do without. Any other opinions on this? ....

Should I get a cab

View my Photos
Art White

2004-03-31          81754

Chainsaw? ....

Should I get a cab

View my Photos
feeneyjj

2004-03-31          81760

Art, as usual your comment is right to the point. Problem is that this absentee landowner (overseas for 5 and a half years until earlier this year) would need a grounds crew, all armed with chainsaws. In any event, I take it you agree that a cab's glass would be in imminent danger from the branches, i.e., that there have been no dramatic improvements in this regard since I saw that John Deere lose its side window about 15 years ago. I'd love to leave the yellow jackets and the Virginia heat for the comfort of a cab.

Hope this is of some relevance to you, Jonathan. Let's hear what you decide. ....

Should I get a cab

View my Photos
grinder

2004-04-01          81762

My next tractor WILL have a hard cab!
How much is that AC?

Should I get a cab

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-04-01          81763

Jonathan, yes tree branches can break cab windows, but better a cab window than jammed in an eye or aome other nasty personal injury. If the conditions are bad enough perhaps a cab guard for brush like seen on forestry equipment could be fabricated and used till you get the rough stuff done and trimmed up. Just a thought, Frank. ....

Should I get a cab

View my Photos
Art White

2004-04-01          81769

Hardwood, I hope you didn't take offence to the suggestion of a chainsaw! The glass on tractor cabs is safety plate and of coarse the volume is low so replacement costs are high. The comfort of the Kubota cabs with the standard feature of air conditioning built in and not an add on is why they are so nice for the operator. We have been selling glass for many of the big farm tractors for years as the hedge rows do there damage to any and all tractors. We have found that by using some of our rock picking buckets about three inches into the ground will remove honeysuckle and sumak quickly by the roots and make removal a snap. ....

Should I get a cab

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-04-01          81773

Art; No offense taken here. we're getting real close to having our fencrows, road ditches, etc. cleaned up using chainsaws, backhoe, or whatever it took to get it done so now it's a pleasure to keep things mowed up. Some how my desire to run a chainsaw has diminnished so thank goodness we've finally got things cleaned up. Every spring I make the rounds with the Gator, a branch loper, and a bottle of Tordon. If you catch those little trees while you can still clip them with the loper, put a dab of Tordon on the stump he's a goner. The county doesn't care what you take out of the ditch but gets real fussy about having anything put in the ditch. Have a good one, Frank. ....

Should I get a cab

View my Photos
jonathanengr

2004-04-01          81774

I'd seen mention made that a backhoe cannot be attached to a tractor with a cab. I did ask the dealer, and he told me you can still add the backhoe (since the seat is actually on the backhoe attachment). Is this correct?

My thoughts are right along the lines of everyone else-safety. We have several small, low branches, and so many times one will slip by my vision and pop me in the face. What a nice change it would be to avoid this! As for the glass, although I'm sure it is breakable, it seems very substantial. Does anyone know if glass on these cabs break easily/relatively easily?

I'm just trying to justify whether-or-not the price is worth the cab. It does add safety (I'm assuming it DOES have a ROPS built in?), comfort, all-weather ability, noise reduction, etc. But again, is it worth $4k? Aso, is there any reason someone would NOT want a cab? I'm looking for someone to say they wouldn't have the cab even if it was free, and *why* they wouldn't have it. Never having owned a tractor, I just can't derive all the potential negatives without help. ....

Should I get a cab

View my Photos
Abbeywoods

2004-04-01          81776

A hard cab with provisions for heat, demisting/defrosting, and air if your climate warrants it are very nice to have. The "clipon" 3 pt backhoes pretty much all force you to sit outside of the cab to operate. There are the small construction CUTs; Deere 110 tlb, Kubota B21, L35, L48 which all sit you under the FOPS, and use swivel seats, but I don't think that any have a hard cab option, yet. The only small construction grade tlbs (that I'm aware of) with hoe operated from inside the hard cab are JCB's 108, and the new Bobcat tlb line. But both the JCB and Bobcat are different from what you have in mind, the Kubota.

The Kubota factory cab models are very nice and comfortable, they are in my opnion, worth every cent if most of your work keeps you in the operator's seat, not on the hoe. One point to remember, most factory hard cabs enter and exit only from one side, the left. This can be an inconvenience at times until you get used to it. ....

Should I get a cab

View my Photos
jonathanengr

2004-04-01          81777

The door I opened and entered was on the right of the tractor, and I *think* there was a door on the left, too. I say this because I asked the salesman about opening to the outside air if I wanted, and he said I could latch the doors (plural) open as well as the large back glass.

I doubt if I'll ever be digging in inclement weather with a backhoe, and if I am it must be some kind of emergency. Thus, an exterior backhoe is fine. I just wanted to make sure a backhoe would still fit and *operate* (clearances, etc) with a cab.

Should I get a cab

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-04-01          81778

Jonathin; your question on why someone would'nt want a cab. I have put sunshades on my 4000 series Deere tractors. I kind of enjoy the open air feeling. I've had cabs on farm tractors since the early 70's. The first ones were real crude especially the decibel level and no air cond. The cabs we have today on our 7000 and 8000 series Deere tractors are nearly as quiet as your new pickup, decibel level has ben taken down drasticly. On perhaps a negative note, most madern cabs have minimal windows that can be opened and running with the cab door open just isn't an option. So what this leads to is that if the AC breaks down your done till it's fixed. The heat buildup in a cab from the greenhouse effect is unbelievable, just hop in your car after it's been sitting on a parking lot till late afternoon, same thing. Frank. ....

Should I get a cab

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2004-04-01          81779

Ok here you go, the draw backs:

1) If you are using the tractor as a wheel barrow stopping and starting it in the summer. The cab will get hot, and not cool by the time you do a short run and stop again. It will also be a pain to open and close the doors as you get in and out and in and out.

2) It will reduce the sounds you hear during operation, slipping tires etc.

3) Reduced visibility all around.

4) Requires a very high garage door, cannot put ROPs down to go into low clearance areas. With a Cab there is no concept of a Foldable ROPS to go into low clearance areas

Pluses:

1) great if you are in field running for hours and hours without getting in and out of the tractor

2)Makes snow blowing painless, although Goretex and Ski Goggles are a cheaper alternative.
3)Commerical operators who have to work in all weather conditions
4)Deadens sounds so you can listen to Credence Clearwater Revival ;>)
5)Looks like you spent alot of money

Should I get a cab

View my Photos
Murf

2004-04-01          81788

Abbeywoods, the Kubota cabs have doors on BOTH sides, if you have the factory FEL the joystick is aback far enough that it is only a minor obstacle to get past and it does come with a lock feature so that bumping it is not a problem for those of us that may be a little 'clorically challenged'.

Hardwood, the only window that doesn't open on my cab is the windshield, other than that every peice of glass is ventilation if I feel so inclined.

Dennis, the only 'drawback' of yours that seems applicable to my machine (based on a few hundred hours experience) is # 2, but that's one of the reasons I got a cab. As for visilibility I don't think it has much if any affect at all, in fact it was a little disconcerting at first because there is so much glass and VERY little frame. Clearance is only in my case changed by 2.1" according to Kubota's spec. sheet and the same data says my unit wouldn't fit into a standard 7' opening anyways even if it was open station.

I don't agree with your 'plus' # 2 either, it doesn't IMHO make snow blowing "painless", it makes it a down-right JOY!

Best of luck. ....

Should I get a cab

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2004-04-01          81792

For commercial work where you need to be productive in all weather conditions a cab is the way to go.

For a homeowner it is a little tougher decision.

Should I get a cab

View my Photos
Murf

2004-04-01          81793

How about for a homeowner who wants to play in all weather conditions?

Next you'll be trying to tell me I don't NEED a big plasma TV & satelite....... LOL.

Best of luck. ....

Should I get a cab

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2004-04-01          81795

A cab is obviously just as much of a must have as a Big Plasma TV and a Sateliite Dish, why not put an LCD screen in the Cab as well ! Most of us will never come back in the house.

Hmmmm my wife might go for that cab afterall!

Should I get a cab

View my Photos
Murf

2004-04-01          81797

Actually Dennis that's a touchy subject at my place.

When I realized that I had a 'spare' TV and a glaringly vacant spot in the shop, I naturally thought if I put that TV in the shop and hooked the sound up to stereo I already had out there, then I could keep up with the races on Sunday afternoon AND work in the shop.

Apparently I thought it was a MUCH better idea than my wife did.

Best of luck. ....

Should I get a cab

View my Photos
Abbeywoods

2004-04-02          81865

Thanks for the info, Murf, I did not know that there were two doors on the Kubota. That is a nice feature. ....

Should I get a cab

View my Photos
texbaylea

2004-04-02          81893

I am planning to buy an L3130 or L3430. I would like a cab but my question is about the AC. Just how large is its capacity. It gets quite hot here in south central Texas. Would it handle that much heat load? The glass area looks almost the same as our Suburban and it has a big system with over 5# of freon. ....

Should I get a cab

View my Photos
Murf

2004-04-02          81894

Tex, I've never had any my 'Bota's in Texas, but we have had some of our fleet in southern Georgia in the summer.

If they can keep their cool in 90+ degrees and humidity levels about the same I don't think you'll have much problem.

Bear in mind these sytems are designed to keep up with summer in south Asia, a comparitvely dry area like Texas should be no problem.

The glass is solar tinted too, I'm sure that helps a LOT.

Best of luck. ....

Should I get a cab

View my Photos
jonathanengr

2004-04-12          82855

I've recently been "harassed" by friends that having a cab is nothing but trouble. They're never owned a tractor with a cab, but seem to have very solid opinions. One of the biggest being the breaking of glass. Supposedly, even the smallest limb will break the glass, and from seeing the cab is just seems waaaaaay too substantial to break that easily! I don't plan on running into tress, but the odd 1" limb I might "bend" out of the way. What about scratching up the glass? Is it fairly scratch resistant? ....

Should I get a cab

View my Photos
Murf

2004-04-12          82858

Jonathan, for what it's worth I can tell you a 1" tree branch has not yet broken any glass in my machine.

The worst thing so far was a tree that broke the antennae for the stereo, but it was about -25 deg. so I figure there was some stress on the little brass screw.

If you look at my pictures (# 1 & 11 in particular), you can see that I have a few trees to deal with also, both in the summer doing maintenance and also plowing snow all winter. I don't want to skin all the evergreens 10' up so I just brush past them.

I have a few branches that are 1+" and they do bend fine, occaisionally I get a little pine sap on the window, that's about it.

Best of luck. ....

Should I get a cab

View my Photos
jonathanengr

2004-04-12          82859

Great aerial photo! What Kubota model do you have? If it's not one of the grand-L series, I wonder how the grand-L series cabs will hold up vs. the one you have. ....

Should I get a cab

View my Photos
Murf

2004-04-13          82930

Thanks Jonathan. I took it from my Super Cub while the wife took the stick. She wasn't very impressed since she a slightly nervous flyer to start with. The standard pilot joke "Don't worry, falling from this height won't hurt a bit ... it's the sudden stop at the bottom that will get you every time!" didn't help in the least.

My machine is a Grand L4310, and the cab is high enough to be at the exact height of the bottom row of branches so it does get a thump now & then.

Best of luck. ....

Should I get a cab

View my Photos
Murf

2004-04-13          82933

BTW Jonathan, just for you I put up a new picture, # 10.

Enjoy. ....

Should I get a cab

View my Photos
jonathanengr

2004-04-13          82966

Murf--

Nice pic once again! I actually took flying lessons in high school, got my student license on my 16th birthday as well as soloed. Unfortunately, I haven't taken time to complete my license some 18 years later.

I was looking at your property--you have quite a listing there. Is it personal property, loaned, leased, etc? I'm looking to buy 100 acres or so in the next couple of years to build on, and this is one of my primary reasons for the tractor purchase. It was a purchase I hoped to make a couple of years ago, but I'd been planning for years to become partners in the engineering firm I was working for, which has now taken place. Now that I've crossed this milestone I can move ahead with other projects! What type of work do you do? It might be in your profile but I just haven't taken the time to review it.

Thanks for all your input on my inquiries--it has helped my decision making easier and speedier! ....

Should I get a cab

View my Photos
Murf

2004-04-13          82968

Jonathan, the house and cottage are mine, the farm (all owned) belongs to myself and 4 other family members. The golf courses are customers.

I have several businesses, along with you I too wear the steel ring but I don't work in that field. My main business is a contracting company which primarily builds golf courses, I also develop land.

Everyone in the family flies. It is at times handy, sometimes not. Family events look more like fly-ins. My parents 50th wedding anniversary caused so much air traffic in the area that several people called the DOT to complain.

Best of luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login