Go Bottom Go Bottom

Weight confusion

View my Photos
jonathanengr
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-25          81100

Thanks everyone for being so responsive to my last post. I ran by my local John Deere dealer during lunch and looked at a few tractors. After telling him what I was looking to do (till a mid-sized garden, mow fields and possibly my yard with a finishing mower, load and distribute dirt/stone, etc), he told me that a 35 HP would be a terrible choice. He said I need a compact tractor for most of these things--a bigger tractor would tear up the yard, etc. At the same time, he said a small tractor's FEL is pretty useless (compared to full-sized) AND I don't fit well on small tractors.

Can a 35 HP tractor with std tires (I think turf tires wouldn't be my best choice because in the garden, using a FEL, etc. would lose traction too easily) not be used in yards and such? Will it really be that destructive? Am I looking at having to buy a 35 HP AND a compact to do all I want to do?? I'm just afraid of buying a small, ill-fitting tractor and wishing 2 months down the road I had bought one with more power.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Weight confusion

View my Photos
Billy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-25          81101

Hmmmm. I mow my yard with a JD 4610 with R4 tires. Looks fine to me. I'll take a pic of it here in a bit and you can see for yourself. ....

Weight confusion

View my Photos
Billy

2004-03-25          81103

OK, look at pic #5. The yard was mowed past Sunday with a 3,400 lb John Deere 4610 pulling a Landpride rear finish mower. ....

Weight confusion

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2004-03-25          81104

Wow - I can see why you can mow that lawn with a large tractor. They don't have lawns as big and as flat as that in New York! Very nice. ....

Weight confusion

View my Photos
jonathanengr

2004-03-25          81105

I guess that answers that question! See--this is my concern. I can't seem to get straight answers from most of the dealers I talk to. Some say one thing, others say something else. I *know* they're trying to sell their products, but I'd just like some straight, knowledgeable answers. So all-in-all, you all think my choice of a 35 HP would be more in line with what I need? Exactly what would a compact tractor be useful for where a large one wouldn't? I used to think it was price, but the differences really aren't that significant. ....

Weight confusion

View my Photos
Art White

2004-03-25          81106

bigger tractors have bigger tires to help disperse the weight. If you need to have ag tires to work in yur garden then maybe it is to wet to be in there to begin with. When on dirt and the ground is wet the numbers on compaction go up fast to a 50% increase. Billy, love that generator. ....

Weight confusion

View my Photos
jonathanengr

2004-03-25          81107

Well, it's not ag tires I want... I want the -ugh- what's it called... between ag and turf. They have treads, but very mild compared to ag tires. I'm assuming that's what the R4 tires are mentioned above? ....

Weight confusion

View my Photos
Billy

2004-03-25          81109

Jonathan, I will say I don't mow when it's wet. I usually wait at least 2 days after a rain.

Thanks Art, I love it too (when ever I need it). I'll love it even more when it's paid for. I can say, it's a Hummer of a generator.

Weight confusion

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-03-25          81110

I'm confused as well. From your earlier post, I assumed that you were looking for a compact utility with 35 HP (diesel)4WD and were shopping between green, orange and blue. If you're looking at a 35 HP 2WD farm tractor, that is definitely too big for your size projects.

My 27HP (diesel) 4WD compact utility with turf tires and FEL with 60" bucket can lift 1200 lbs., can plow with a single bottom moldboard plow about 8" deep with tires spinning. It also can run a 60" wide King Kutter rear PTO tiller without any trouble. I push lots of snow with a 72" wide Landpride rear blade. I have a 72" mid-mount mower that really cuts grass nice but is a hassle taking on and off. With a rear finish mower you can do a very nice job mowing.

Most people have chosen the R4(Industrial tires) over the turfs for the extra traction. The R1(farm or ag tires) really can rip things up but give far superior traction over the R4's. If I drive my IH Model "C" farm tractor with 25 HP gas on a dry lawn it even makes big dents.

If the ground is wet in your garden you shouldn't be in it. If the grass is wet you shouldn't be mowing it.

I wish I had a few more HP but am getting by without a problem. The 35HP you mentioned would be perfect for me. ....

Weight confusion

View my Photos
Abbeywoods
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-03-25          81111

Jonathan, In the landscaping business we experience a wide variety of ground conditions, at different times of the year. The many tractors I've used have had all three types of tire; R1 Ag, R3 Turf, and R4 Industrial/Construction. Not all tires are created equal, to underscore this I can tell you that an R4 Titan (as the type normally found on the new Deeres) and an R4 Galaxy (a Deere option) are different. How much so, I couldn't say unless two identical machines were working side by side in the same conditions.

All three types will work over a lawn pretty good if the tractor is in mfwd. Usually the action of the front wheels help keep the ground from becoming compacted. Turn too tightly in mfwd and you stand a good chance of ripping the lawn.

As long as the turf isn't rain soaked or just coming off the spring thaw, R4's work well and won't tear up your lawn. They are not perfect, but they do offer greater width than the typical R1. I use the R4's on all of my machines because they shed mud and compacted dirt better than R3's do. Around here landscapers must clean up after the job if they leave any dirt shed by the tires on a public road. Turf tires in dirt clog the tread and then shed once they hit a hard surface. In the high class neighborhoods I work, the locals complain about almost anything, dirt from tires is just one of the many ones I have to deal with.

If I understand your post, you are doubting the 35hp machine is right for you. One way to find out, try one. See if you can get a demo on your property from several makers' dealers. Use the FEL to lift the heaviest object you have a need to lift, that may give you some insight into what you want, or need. ....

Weight confusion

View my Photos
Murf

2004-03-25          81112

Jonathan, I'm not really sure just how heavy that JD you're looking at is, but I will tell you this, my Kubota 4310 weighs probably 3600 pounds, plus the loader on top of that. I also have the R4's or Industrial tires on it (see my picture # 12) and have it out on the lawn (picture # 1) and while it does make a mark if it's wet it hardly qualifies as "tearing it up" as your dealer stated.

As for turfs I wouldn't under-estimate the traction they develop, that's all we run on our turf machines. In fact until recently we snow-plowed with them as well.

Best of luck. ....

Weight confusion

View my Photos
beagle

2004-03-25          81153

These guys have better soil or luck than me, maybe both. I am constantly trying to lighten my load while mowing. Not so much because of compressing the soil, but because of the damage done during turning. I find it necessary to keep the front end as light as possible to avoid turf damage while turning. My tractor weighs 1750lbs plus full R4 tires and the loader frmae. I take the FEL off to mow and use a rear finish mower. I have to be very carefull making turns. My soil is pretty sandy, probably would not be as much of a problem if your soil has some clay in it. ....

Weight confusion

View my Photos
jonathanengr

2004-03-26          81189

Thanks for everyone's input thus-far. I apologize for the delay in replying to your posts--I had to sign up to see everything that had been written!

Regarding the tractor purchase, I plan on buying one and having it for a good, long time. Right now I own just over 12 acres, but withing the next 5 years or so I plan to purchase around 100-150 acres to build on. I would like to buy a tractor now that would be useful to me on my current property but also be the one I'll use when I purchase the other property. Although money is always an issue to some degree, it's a smaller issue to me in this decision. If a 50 HP tractor has the same frame and weight of a 30 HP tractor, I would likely go for the 50 HP. Right now, however, I'm jst trying to decide if a full-sized tractor is definitely what I need.

Speaking of the above, from what I've seen, it looks as though many HP options are offered on the same frames. However, would jumping from 30 HP to 50 HP really make much difference? Numerically it's getting close to twice as much, but what difference does it *really* make?? Is the only difference the ability to use larger implements? ....

Weight confusion

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-03-26          81198

If two tractors weigh the same (same frame) but one has 20 extra horsepower the higher powered one may be beneficial for PTO work but for many uses (FEL work, plowing, back blading, log skidding, any pulling or pushing jobs) You also need the extra weight of a bigger machine to get the benefit of the extra power. If you are spinning your wheels at 30 HP you will just spin them easier at 50 HP if the tractors have the same mass.
Dave ....

Weight confusion

View my Photos
Art White

2004-03-26          81202

With the options of the land and other things you have going I'd be looking at the industrial tires. ....

Weight confusion

View my Photos
Blueman

2004-03-26          81205

Sorry, off the subject, Billy, I love that generator too...what does it run on? I have a natural gas well on my property that I heat my home with, but haven't looked into running the electricity with it...yet! ....

Weight confusion

View my Photos
jonathanengr

2004-03-26          81208

Well, I live in the foothills of North Carolina, so clayey soils are *all* we have! Hopefully that will be a good thing.

At this point, it sounds more and more like the larger tractor is what would be best for me. As for the "color", I guess it's still up in the air. My Dad bought a new Kubota and loves it, and I've been impressed with it, too. However, he solely went by price. Someone mentioned implement changes... just how many implements are there for a FEL??? Is it really that important? Also, my Dad got the Woods FEL--supposedly larger capacity and less expensive. Is the Kubota loader better? ....

Weight confusion

View my Photos
kubotaguy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-03-26          81215

Two items I would stick with the manufacture on is the FEL and backhoe. The manufacture builds the tractor and therefore builds the loader to match that tractor. Other makers have their FEL's fit a variety of tractors and may not fit quite as good. Again that's just my $.02.
On the topic of ripping your yard up. I drive my 7800 (although considerably lighter than a 35 PTO HP machine) all over my yard all year long and as long as I am not making tight turns in 4 wheel drive the yard doesn't suffer. It may get marked occaissonally, but nothing major. I just try to leave the grass a little higher around winter time to take the driving on it. ....

Weight confusion

View my Photos
Billy

2004-04-12          82856

Blueman

Sorry I missed your question. It runs off diesel but you can set them up on NG too. I wish I had a gas well :( ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login