Go Bottom Go Bottom

Logging update

View my Photos
shortmagnum
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-17          80137

I started thinning a few acres of spruce plantation at the farm around Christmas time. I was able to cut out about 15 cord of spruce pulpwood (see pic # 5&6). I cut mostly the smaller spindly stuff. The wood has been sold and I cleared $1000 after paying the trucker. This morning I handed the check to my wife and told her to put it toward the mortgage balance. She looked at me and said, "Why don't you buy yourself something nice with the money. You worked so hard for it."

She was such a sweetheart. I didn't have the heart to tell her that it was like getting paid for having fun.
Dave

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Logging update

View my Photos
Blueman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-17          80147

You've got a good one...don't let her go! My wife would have said "mortgage, hell, i'm going shopping!" ....

Logging update

View my Photos
wigglybridge

2004-03-17          80178

Mag, I like the looks of that grapple you've got. What's the story on that? I do a lot of wood work for a guy with only 13 acres... ....

Logging update

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-03-17          80196

Wiggly, I built it this winter to pile the logs. I have to admit, it works pretty well. There has been some interest from other members in it too. It took one evening to draw up and cut out and a long evening to weld up. I think I have less than $100 into the whole thing. I did buy a quick attach plate for $125 to bolt the moveable arms to but I can use that for other projects as well. The lower arms are pinned solidly to the holes where the loader support legs are usually pinned (I removed the support legs).

I have a full size layout of the pieces that I can take a digital picture of and post it if you're interested. Or is there a way to email an attachment?

It would probably be just as easy to do what I did which is to make a cardboard model of an upper and lower arm. That way you can tape it to the loader and get the geometry right by opening and closing the arms. Then I transferred the cardboard to a full size drawing on poster board. That way you can set the pieces on the drawing and mark almost everything without having to measure.

Sorry if this is more information than you were looking for but once I get started, it's hard to stop. :-)
Dave ....

Logging update

View my Photos
wigglybridge

2004-03-19          80412

Thanks for the info, Mag!

My 4110 came late enough in the fall that it was time to put the blower on and tackle snow, so astoundingly it hasn't even been into the woods yet! I need some time with it this year discovering what I can already do. Wood is the primary justification for the tractor, I spend about 100 hours per year on my wood.

I'm not into metal work or welding, and have too many things on my plate already to start down that path. If I need something in this direction, I'll need to buy readymade or get someone to make it for me. ....

Logging update

View my Photos
bmlekki

2004-09-03          95460

Short Mag,

The grapple you built looks great! Did you ever get a chance to take any pictures of the design? I've been using my clamp on bucket forks to move logs around but it can be really tricky getting them up on there. How are the lower arms attached? I'm wondering if I could do something similar with my JD.

Brian ....

Logging update

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-09-03          95469

The lower arms are attached to the mount points for the loader stands (they hold the FEL upright when you remove it). They come off with the removal of a pin. I then slotted the lower grapple arms to accept the two ears from the stand mount (on the FEL). A 3/4" bolt and nut attaches the front of the lower grapple mount to the FEL arm. To keep the lower grapple arm from rocking I used another 3/4" bolt and welded a nut on the inside of the arm (3" x 5" rectangular tubing). This then pushes against the FEL arm and keeps it tight. I didn't want to drill any holes in the FEL or weld directly on it and this design did the trick.

I've drawn a powerpoint drawing from memory in pic #8 which may better explain this. I notice the bolts are labelled 3/4 FEET but this typo should be obvious.

There is a maximum height you will be able to pile logs with this and for me it was about 5 feet. I could get the logs higher but the distance in front of the tractor is limited. Five feet was just fine for me. Also, make sure that at the highest anticipated lift point that the angle of the lower arm is such that the log will still roll off. This is necessary because you are using the bucket roll hydraulics to control the upper arms and pinch the logs. The cardboard model was very helpful for this.

This was a Kubota but I would expect your JD has a similar FEL mount available. ....

Logging update

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-09-03          95471

By the way, my spruce patch is still so thick I'm going to get another truckload out of it this winter. For some reason I can't wait. It's strange how some things excite me. I guess it's just in my "jackpine savage" blood.
Dave ....

Logging update

View my Photos
Chief

2004-09-03          95493

Whatcha gonna buy with the money from this batch of pulp wood? ....

Logging update

View my Photos
bmlekki

2004-09-03          95499

Where did you get the tube steel? I'm not even sure where to look around here... ....

Logging update

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-09-03          95509

Chief, In the scheme of things it's not that much money but I'd really like to put it back into the farm somehow. Last winter I tried to do this but my wife forced me to buy a fishing boat, motor and trailer. Well almost half of it anyway.

I've still got these damn beaver dams to deal with and I will be able to reach the main one with my BH but the creek below should be cleaned out also. It basically flows out through a swamp so there is no way I could drive my tractor out there. Initially it was made by chopping out alder brush roots and all by hand. I've got a grand scheme cooked up to rent a small excavator and get a couple of pads made from hardwood logs cabled together in a shape like a raft. It spreads the weight of the machine over a large area. You drive on one and hook the other with the bucket then swing the second in place in front of you. Drive the tracked excavator forward then swing the one behind in front again.

I would like to start out about 100 yards or so down the creek and work my way back. I know with a clear outlet and good flow the springs feeding the main ponds will keep the water cold and clean. We had trout for years until my mom finally closed the business down almost 20 years ago. Now I just want to stock a few hundred trout for family and friends. I checked the hatchery we used to buy trout from. They are still in operation and 9 inch rainbows sell for about a dollar apiece. I can't wait for retirement!!

When one of our larger ponds was dug the operator used this system with a good sized dragline so I know it's possible. I think I could have fun for a week.

Logging update

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-09-03          95513

bmlekki, I've tried to forget everything I know about upstate NY. My ex was from Massena. :)

Seriously, There should be steel dealers somewhere nearby. I know three within an hour of me and I don't really do that much fabrication. Other than the welder, the only tools I used were a chop saw, an angle grinder and a drill. The full size drawings I made with a pencil and a straightedge. After they're done you can lay the steel pieces on the drawing and mark the steel directly.

To get the correct angles on the cuts with just a straightedge I used the angle bisection method shown in my pic #9. Draw two pieces to be joined in the proper general position (from your cardboard model) then draw 90 degree lines at the ends. Bisect the angle with another line (the large arrowed line)and continue the sides of the piece (dashed lines) to the arrowed line. This way the ends will weld together without one sticking out farther than the other and looking sloppy. I call it backyard enginneering. :)

I'm going on a bit but I do what I can to encourage others.
Dave ....

Logging update

View my Photos
Chief

2004-09-03          95514

Beaver dams and beavers in general are a REALLY sore subject around Tractor Point. ;O) But you could buy some dynamite and clean those damns out. Maybe even a FEL grapple for cleaning up the remains of the dams.

Need any road gravel for the drive way or access roads. Might be a good upgrade for the property. ....

Logging update

View my Photos
oneace

2004-09-03          95530

For steel look in the yellow pages under welding or welding supplies. They will normally sell it or tell you where to get it. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login