Go Bottom Go Bottom

Fork lift from Front End Loader

View my Photos
duker99
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-02-26          77950

I have a lifting "opportunity" that will extend over some period of time. I have seen (on this board?) some fork tines that clamp/bolt onto the FEL bucket.

Has anyone seen these? are they readily available or are they only custom made?
I need them for a BX2230.
Thanks!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
grinder
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-26          77951

Here is one co. I think if you look around you will find
sevaral.Did you try Kubota's home page?
good luck. ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
duker99

2004-02-26          77953

Thanks! It would seem that the type that hook on the top of the bucket and rest on the bottom would be the strongest. Ever seen any of these?

Thanks again. ....

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-26          77957

I had a BX and the Rankin forks.

They work fine with the BX bucket as designed, in fact they attached more securely to the BX than to my Deere 4100.

Be aware that your already limited lift capacity in this model will be compromised even more. The forks weigh 90 pounds and will push your weight/balance envelope way forward.

You will still be able to pick up loads that weigh up to 300 pounds, at least in the lower half of your lift range.

You will need about 800 pounds of rear ballast to do it safely and maximum inflation pressure on all tires. ....

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2004-02-26          77966

Also on a FEL the lift capacity goes down and the ballast requirements go up as the load is moved forward. You get maximum lift right at the pivot points for the loader bucket and that is where most manufacturers specific the FEL capacity. As Mark said, you have to subtract bucket and fork weight. But if the load is very far forward, the capacity is even less. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-02-26          77980

I agree completely with the comments about reduced capacity with bucket-mounted forks.

The other point I would make is that with fork set INSTEAD of the bucket there is a marked increase in visibilty. The bucket really blocks your view of the load and for delicate or precise placement it almost always requires a second person to spot for the operator.

We have this problem with the fold-away forks on our big TLB's. With the forks behind the bucket you have a huge blindspot.

I don't know if the same setup is available for the BX-series but the quick-tatch setup for my L-series is fantastic. It goes on the loader arms and uses the original bucket with absolutely no modifications required. I put it on using hand tools only in about 3 minutes. It is also VERY easy to make alternate plates for since it only needs 4 pins to connect it to anything else. I made up a combination base-plate which acepts a trailer hitch, forks and a snowplow. Next is an adaptor to mount 3pth implements in place of the bucket.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2004-02-26          77982

I also like the quick attach option and I actually have that on my FEL. I use a pair of heavy duty forks for a skid steer loader. The visibility is good and they are also a good bit narrower than my 72" bucket. With these forks, the loads can be pushed right back against the rear to maximize capacity. ....

View my Photos
duker99

2004-02-26          77989

You guys are great, you saved me time and money - not to mention the stress on "ole Orange."

DRankin really wasted the idea with the load limitation - wow, but it sure makes sense. Thanks!

Okay then, where can a fella find those 3pt type fork lifts?

Lemme try that approach.
Thanks again.

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2004-02-26          77990

Rankin makes them too. ....

Link:   Rankin Forks

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-02-27          78080

Rankin (no relation) also lists a set of carry-all forks that fit the BX series nicely. They will carry 1000 pounds and retail usually for less than $150. I have two sets of these and can recommend them.

I can point you to a link if you are interested. ....

View my Photos
Charlie_in_TX

2004-02-27          78108

duke, I have a set of the forks on my JD750 at work. The forks are connected with a piece of pipe but they slide on the pipe for width adjustment. The pipe hooks on 2 welded on hooks on the top of the bucketand rests on the bucket edge.

The loader normally has a capacity of 750# give or take. With the forks on it has a hard time with a barrel of alcahol that weights about 400#. ....

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-02-28          78220

I too am interested in light duty fork-lifting with my 2230. Does "Big K" make a "quick-tach" mount for our little loaders, or only the big ones (Art?) ? Not real crazy about the idea of putting forks on the bucket. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2004-02-29          78240

I have a 3ph forklift myself--an after-market make my dealer came up with (WIFCO I think). It is actually a CAT II implement and a lighter one would be better for the tractor. It still out lifts anything I could put on a loader. My vertical lift is 5.5' not including 3ph height and I can get pallets on and off most flatbed delivery trucks. Loader forks may not go high enough so I could get the forks under pallets on trucks without bashing the rad into the truck. Got to be real careful with heavy loads up that high though.

My forklift was pricey but if material handling (especially stacked pallets) is a requirement, there are advantages. The advantages of true vertical lift, carriage tilt, a swinging carriage, 3-piece forks and the maneuverability of back-wheel steering are good to consider. Having a backrest and steel frame always between the load and you and the tractor also is good. I don't have carriage shift but I've gotten pretty good at backing up. ....

View my Photos
itsgottobegreen

2004-03-01          78341

I also need a set, but i have an even better idea. Go find yourself a set of used forks and carrage off a fork lift. Look for a forklift dealer. They will have used section or bone yard you can get one from. Then make a set of brackets that fit onto your loader arms and tilt cyclinder. Then weld it up and you got yourself a forklift. I am looking for a used forks to do this.

View my Photos
Murf

2004-03-01          78346

The used forks are a good idea, but for the average CUT, and especially a sub-CUT, there could be a problem.

Even a small forklift would be capable of lifting 2 tons. that means the forks are too, that means the forks are built between twice and eight times heavier than they need to be. The more the forks and frame weigh, the less 'payload' the whole setup will have.

I made up such a set a few years ago for someone, the base plate and forks together came to a little over 500 pounds. If you consider that the unit only had a 1,500 pound FEL on it ther goes 1/3 of your total lift capacity. If you consider that a sub-CUT probably only has about 500 pounds of lift on the FEL then you need to be REALLY careful about keeping the weight down.

Properly gusseted, 3" or 4" 'C' channel would be fine for that sort of weight.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
plots1

2004-03-02          78492

northern tool sells forks in differnt lengths and load limits. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2004-03-02          78527

We sell a lot of forks that just attach to the bucket and for the most part seem to be helping most everyone with them. Sometimes the costs do workout that makes it so to have a normal type from a skid steer but not normally. ....

View my Photos
jeff r

2004-03-02          78555

Guys,
I kept my eyes and ears open and visited a couple of salvage and scrap yards in the area and found a set of used forks that were off a a small electric forklift that were 40inches long. He charged me 40.00 bucks for both. Used my trusty welder and chop saw and fabricated quick attach hook-up from a 1 1/8 bar run through the bucket's tow hooks. Works Great sets up in 30 seconds. Never weighed it but I am sure it is less than 100. Don't have a use for a 3 point set of forks since I always got the backhoe or 3 point blade on the back of tractor. ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-03-03          78584

jeff r, $40 is about what I would like to pay for a set of used forks. They go for $150 here but I think these are rated for 3K-4K lbs. Just another item on the list for me.
Dave ....

View my Photos
Hal DeWitt

2004-03-03          78682

Hi guys: I use my B7500 for logging a lot and had problems getting the logs into a neat pile. I was using the FEL and the logs would slip off the bucket. I made a set of forks from an overload spring off a large truck. Cut the spring in half and welded the parts to a flat bar 1/4" thick by 4" wide and long enough to go across the inside lip of the bucket. Drilled holes and bolted it to the bucket. The setup gives me two forks about 12" long that I can slide under the log and roll back the bucket to lift it. Then goes onto the pile nice and neat. Total cost of the forks zip as it was all scrap I had laying around. Different forks for different jobs. ....

View my Photos
blizzard

2004-03-03          78703

Hal,
I think that's a great idea (Spring Forks). I know some short forks like you describe would be very helpful to me in maneuvering logs and stacking brush. Probably would help a lot in easing rocks into the bucket too.
This board is great...
bliz ....

View my Photos
jeff r

2004-03-05          78864

Shortmagnum,

Most the front end loaders of most if not ALL CUT tractors wont lift 3,000 to 4,000 pounds anyway. My Woods 1006 front end loader on a my B-2150 is around a 1000 pounds lifting capacity. ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-03-05          78870

Jeff, you're right, mine won't lift 3000 lbs either. I was trying to imply that 3000 lbs is more in line with what skid steers can lift so these stronger forks are popular as salvage. Thus, they get a higher price for them.

My LA723 loader can lift 1870 lbs at the pivot pin. But breakout force is over 2600 lbs. Thus if I get under a pallet, it is possible to put more than 1800 lbs of force on the forks by applying the curl hydraulics (site below).

If they're not too heavy, there is nothing wrong with stronger forks. ....

Link:   LA723 loader

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login