Go Bottom Go Bottom

Which Tractor For Me

View my Photos
snmhanson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-02-17          77142

OK, so we are buying our first tractor. We have five relatively level acres with fairly rocky soil. Two of the acres need to be landscaped and then maintained while the remaining three (treed) acres will need periodic cleaning/maintainence and maybe some sporadic landscape work. My main uses for a tractor will be moving and grading material, snow removal (800' driveway + small office parking lot) and mowing ~two acres of grass and weeds. I would also like to have the flexibility to attach other implements such as a PHD and tillers. Probably never a backhoe but you never know. Maybe a trencher from time to time but not a major concern. I am torn between JD and Kubota. I know this is the Kubota section but I imagine a lot of green people read this area also. (If it looks like responses are favoring Kubota too much I will post this over in the Deere section also) If I go with a "smaller" CUT I will probably do the JD 2210. If I step up a little bit though I am thinking either JD 4010 (would like the 4110 but it bumps the price just out of range) or Kubota 7510 or 7610. Any opinons, thoughts, recommendations? And any comments on price? I hope to stay around 14,000 with loader and mower but I know the 7610 will bump me over that a little. Is it worth it? Thanks so much for any help with all questions.

matt

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Which Tractor For Me

View my Photos
kubotaguy

2004-02-17          77145

I would think for what you described, the 7610 would be more along the lines of what you are looking for. I think the subcompacts are too small. Especially if you are thinking of running a post hole digger (the larger augers may even challenge the 7610 in rocky soil). ....

Which Tractor For Me

View my Photos
beagle
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-17          77147

Stay with the small CUT. I think you would be disappointed with the JD 2210, which is sized as a garden tractor. With the implements you want to use, I think you would be disappointed with the limitations of the 3-point hitch. You would find that many implements don't work well on that hitch, for example, PHD. The lift arms are short and limits you lift height. I previouly owned a Simplicity Legacy, which was close in size to the 2210, and found it very limiting. I spent considerable time researching Kubota, JD, Kioti, and others when I made the change. My needs are close to yours nad had decided on a B2410, based on the value I found in the different makes of tractors. My wife drove the B7800 and talked me up, based on price and value. It is a great tractor, except the 3-point control. The 1/4" valve is no replacement for position control. I would suggest the JD 4115 or Kubota B2410. Both have position control. The 7510 and 7610 have the 1/4" valve. Good luck and have fun with your search. Mine lasted a year and a half. ....

Which Tractor For Me

View my Photos
cerberus

2004-02-17          77148

Matt ,
So far you've gotten some real good advice . But, (dare I say it ? ) have you looked into the Kioto Ck series ?
They are a fairly beefy machine at a very competitive price . I own a Kub . But given the $ range you said it might be worth a look . Besides , the shopping and looking costs Squat :) John ....

Which Tractor For Me

View my Photos
kubotaguy

2004-02-17          77162

I have the 7800 as well, but I don't see the 1/4" valve as a limitation. I kinda like the setup.
I think if you could swing the extra dollars the 7800 might actually be better as it is a little bigger. It's tough to beat what you are getting for the price. I got my 7800 with loaded R-4's, 60"MMM, LA-402 FEL for around $16,900. I know that is higher than you wanted to go, but you always have to leave room for the Tim Allen (more power) syndrome!! ....

Which Tractor For Me

View my Photos
snmhanson

2004-02-17          77165

Thanks for all the great advice (Keep it coming! :)) I was kind of thinking the 2210 would leave me wanting more, mainly because of the limited 3-point hitch (same with the Kubota BX line from what I understand). So unless my wife has something to say about it, it is out of the picture. I am now leaning towards the 7610 if we can swing it. I would love the 7800 or the Deere 4115+ but I really doubt I could get the boss to let me spend more than ~15,000-16,000 on the setup.

cerberus, I would consider looking at a Kioto except that I live in a small town and there are no local dealers that I know of. I really would like to buy locally to support the local economy and get the service and support. There is, however, a Massey-Ferg dealer in town. Any reason to look at those over the JD or Kubota? I could get what sounds like a pretty good price on a GC2300 (I think that was the model). I talked a little with a farmer that I do some consulting work for though and he said that he didn't think they were as user friendly as JD or Kub.

Thanks again for all the great advice!

Matt ....

Which Tractor For Me

View my Photos
cerberus

2004-02-17          77170

Dealers are a problem with Kioti ... They don't have as much of a network as the Big 3 . As far as MF ... My only experience with them is an OLD 135 . It was a good machine . but it was old ( like me ). If you do however have a MF dealer , Go over and test drive a 2300 . It might be what you're looking for . I like your idea of supporting your local dealer very much . But , in the long run ,you have to ask if they'll support you . In most instances I'd say yes . But because it's not local, don't rule out other brands . Kioti, Mahindra , Branson ,century all have some good products available . It's up to you to do the research and decide what you need ,and the overall price . I guess what I'm saying is ... Don't settle on a NAME , Go with the machine that fits you ,and your needs . John ....

Which Tractor For Me

View my Photos
Treeplanter49659

2004-02-17          77173

I'm a proud owner of a B2400HST Kubota. 5' front loader, 12" & 18" post hole digger, 50" tiller, 5' rear pto mower, 5'back blade, 7' rear gin pole,5' front mount snow blower, and more. 1470 hrs and never a major problem. Maintain 20 acres, 700' of driveways, 1/2 mile of roads through property. Have dug small pond, installed septic fields, and many other jobs that all of my neighbors could not believe I could do with such a "Tonka Toy". They are just as impressed as I am. Good luck on your choice. ....

Which Tractor For Me

View my Photos
44trxfun
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-17          77175

Matt, I have a GC2300 which I use mostly for mowing (3-4 acres) and snowblowing (350' driveway and parking area). It does both tasks very well. I'm a bit frustrated with it (myself!) for not paying a little more attention to 3PH tasks--clearing snow & ice, grading with backblade for example. In a nutshell, the 3PH is somewhat limited due to no real position control (and I'm limited by unpaved, uneven surfaces). Implements are light in this size class and tend to float over compacted surfaces. Depending on how much of that type of work you're doing, you might want to give this consideration some thought. There is no backhoe attachment for the 2300. Massy's come out with the 2310 which is a TLB combo, very similar to BX22/23. I do intend to do some tilling with it, and I expect it to do well since we have a well-treated garden plot to begin with. It is a great little tractor, given these limitations. Only you know how you will aportion the tractor's time--what jobs you want to do and what priority each task has. And of course, your budget comes into play.

I have several other posts about the GC2300 on the forum if you're interested. Just do a search or view my posts. If you have any questions let me know. Good luck to you! ....

Which Tractor For Me

View my Photos
dkheckmanl

2004-02-17          77188

Matt,
I just moved from Vancouver, WA to the Boise ID area. I have about 3 acreas of which I am land scaping 1.5 acres. About 12000 sq ft will be in finished lawn. I looked hard at the Kubota 2230, JD 2210 and the MF 2300. Because of the 3 pt hitch limitations and low lift capacity of the FEL of the subcompacts, I decided to move up to the Kubota 7510/7610 or the NH TC21D/24D. I also looked and liked the JD 4100/4115 but they were out of my price range. I wanted to buy locally but Boise area dealers do not deal much in CUTs and most of them would not even give me a quote. I ended going back to the Portland area where there are more C
UTs in stock and the dealers were lots more customer oriented. I ended buying a NH TC24D from Keith Okamoto, Metro Tractor in Clackamas OR. I also recommend you check with Brock Brockman at Moen Machinery, the Kobota dealer in Gresham, OR. I went with the NH because I liked as well as the 7610 and Keith gave me a great trade in on my old Cub Cadet and he is delivering it to ID for the price of his diesel fuel. The cash price for the TC24D with FEL was 14,400. The cash price from Brock for the 7610 was 13,900. plus 500. for delivery but no trade in allowed. The 24D is the same hp as the 7610 but weighs about 350 lbs more. Since I am only mowing about 12,000 sq ft, I elected to take the money the MMM would cost and buy a riding lawn mower. I have two knee transplants and I just did not want to get down to hook and unhook the MMM. I am also getting a tiller for an additional 1600. I will probably add a rotary cutter later.
Forgot to tell you Metro is adding a hook to the loader and mounting a step for getting on the tractor. One more thing, I got a quote from Stark Street Garden in Sherwood of 14,400 for JD 2210 FEL,MMM and Tiller. Also a quote from Cascade Machinery in Fisher Mills of 13,900. for the MF 2310 FEL, MMM. and Tiller and a quote of 14,400 from Dan's Tractor in Battle Ground, WA for the Kubota 2230. Hope this infor might help you in your hunt. Had lots of fun looking but spent some money going back to the Portland area in order to talk and set on all the tractors. On some of the threads on Tractor Point there are some web sites listed for getting an idea of prices for JD and Kotbota.
Good Luck in your search.
Dave in Idaho.

Which Tractor For Me

View my Photos
grinder

2004-02-18          77194

I will vouch for the kubota 7500, Is your 800' drive gravel
or paved? My only regret is I didn't buy one with a hard cab
for snowblowing.Not sure about the soft cabs? Green or Orange you can't go wrong. It is nice to know I can sell mine very easily anytime I want and get a different tractor
if my needs change.
Check out who is building the other models you are considering,those old names are changing.
Seems like a balancing act of parts,service and price,and
RESALE value.
Good luck,

In my opinion a one owner, set up the way you like , it is worth considering. I got hung up on a new one. Don't regret the new but, have since seen several
come up for sale privately with all the things I now know I want. Most have
less than 200 hrs and a few had less than 50 hrs. Take your time.

Which Tractor For Me

View my Photos
SwampFox

2004-02-18          77197

I got a price of $14200 for a JD 4110 with hydro, and FEL. The MMM was expensive and brought the price to $16500, although the dealer 'threw in' a rear weight box. Prices for the 2230 and 'bota tractors was abouth the same. I didn't price MF because my nearest dealer was a hardware store 25 miles away. I probably should have looked at NH. ....

Which Tractor For Me

View my Photos
agentorange

2004-02-18          77212

snmhanson - welcome.

Last week we got a B7510. Love it. Perfect for our needs. When I started my research it was down to a green 2210, 4010 or orange BX or the 7510. Looking from the rear of the machine I could see a little more beef on the green 4010 and orange 7510 than it's next sized-down brothers. A little more beef was good for me and not price prohibitive. We also have some "access" issues where a larger tractor will not fit. See my post "orange vs green" from last week or so. After a few posts it becomes the plastic vs metal war but has some personal views that you might find interesting. Sit on them, drive them around, work the FEL. You'll find what's good for you. It's all about feel.

I see you are in White Salmon down by Columbia. Depending on how you feel about it you may opt for Oregon's no sales tax. I had a few good replies from the folks at Oregon Vineyard Supply. Talk to them.

Good luck, have fun.

-ao

Which Tractor For Me

View my Photos
Abbeywoods

2004-02-18          77215

Along the thoughts of an alternative to the Kioti line, the identical tractors to the DK40 and DK45 are now being sold by Cub Cadet, which has a somewhat better dealer/service network in place compared to Kioti. Although Kioti is makng great inroads into the market, I'm sure it won't be long and they will be fairly wide spread and well known. The Koreans are making good alternatives to the now traditional and accepted American/Japanese offerings. Kioti's are well designed, well made (if somewhat unsophisticated compared to JD, NH, or Kubota), and are very able to perform hard work. ....

Which Tractor For Me

View my Photos
snmhanson

2004-02-18          77221

Thanks again for all of the replys.

Grinder - My driveway is gravel. What works best for snow removal on a gravel drive? Even though it may increase my bargaining power a little bit I am probably not going to get a snow removal implement until next winter.

agentorange - Nice to hear you like your 7510. It helps alot since I think I am leaning in that direction. I need to pick up my parents at the PDX airport today so we may take a "short-cut" past Moen Machinery in Gresham to see what they can do. [It'll be perfect, they can watch my 2 1/2 year old in the tractor store while I talk business :)] Also, where is Oregon Vineyard Supply? (Willamette Valley I'm guessing?) I will look them up on the internet but I've never heard of them. Also, price being relatively close I will probably buy from my local dealer, Sheppards, in Hood River. Save sales tax, buy local, easy service and support. Right now though they seem a bit high on the 7510. ~15,000 with 302FEL and 60" mmm? What did you pay?

Thanks,

Matt ....

Which Tractor For Me

View my Photos
grinder

2004-02-18          77230

Matt
Snowblowing gravel drive would depend alot on the surface,
course,fine,is it smooth?
Does it freeze up and stay frozen, or do you get thawing and
refreezing? If you think your going to be picking up rocks forget it. Put an hyd angle blade on front and poss.chains.
It really depends on you climate and road conditions.
There are a lot of guys who use a blower on gravel on this
forum and could give you some more feedback.
Personally, I use a 54" PTO provonost blower on a 200'
blacktop drive.
Perhaps the dealer could tell you who is doing it and go check it out.
I would definitely have that figured out first, if you
are going to count on the tractor for snow removal.
You may want a quick attach blade set up on the front if
you decide that is the way to go.
15000 sounds about right with a LDR and 60" MMM for a 7510,
block heater is nice if it's real cold where you are.
Here in Maine most dealers include them with a bucket hook.

Which Tractor For Me

View my Photos
ronbo3

2004-02-18          77260

I looked at the Kubota 'B' series and then bought a L2800. With FEL, shredder, and box blade it came to $14,700. It doesn't have HST, but it will handle just about anything on my 11 acres I need it for. I don't see a lot about the L series on this site, and I think they deserve at least a look before you buy.
BTW, the Kubota dealer was great. When I visited the local JD place, they gave me a brochure to look at--didn't even offer to go outside and actually show me the tractors. Be sure to check out the dealers thoroughly before you put your money down! ....

Which Tractor For Me

View my Photos
agentorange

2004-02-19          77277

snmhanson - see my post "same total...." in the price forum.

Oregon Vineyards has a website, all info there.
Click my pics for relative size and such.
It's perfect for us.
You'll find a perfect one for you.
Have fun.

-ao ....

Which Tractor For Me

View my Photos
grinder

2004-02-19          77280

Matt
You might check out Carverequipment.com for some comp.prices. They are east coast, not sure what the diff.would be.

Which Tractor For Me

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-02-19          77303

The "Green" dealer in Gresham is Fisher Implement. They are well worth the stop too. ....

Which Tractor For Me

View my Photos
itsgottobegreen

2004-02-20          77383

I bought my B7500 used with the mower and loader. I love it. But the buckets has no strenght in it. So have a welding shop add some veritcal cutting edges and bottom wear srips on it. I bent mine. The $50 to $75 at the welding shop will keep you from buying a new bucket at $450. I am going to do this, but don't know when i get to it. There aren't enough lights on that tractor. So i build lights that mount to the ROPs. I am builting them for tractor point members at $225 plus shipping. see pics

Grinder are you going to get that cab. Because you will have to do the same for your tractor to make it work with a cab. Hydraulics, rear wiper, time to do it, etc. ....

Which Tractor For Me

View my Photos
JDF415

2004-02-20          77421

Matt,
I am a JD person and would suggest JD just because they are my favorite, However..
The 2210 and 4010 models you are considering cannot handle a backhoe. You stated that you don't plan to purchase a backhoe, but you never know.. Well if you chose one of these two models you can count out the backhoe for sure.
Of these two models, the 2210 is my favorite. More hp for less $$. Its a great little tractor. If you are going to move up to the 4010, you really should move on up to the 4110. It has better hydraulics than the 4010. As for the added cost, JD has great financing which gives you very affordable payments. Check them out.
Also, I think the Kubota B7500 is a nice little tractor. I am not sure what Kubota offers in the way of backhoe attachments, but even if one is not available it is still a nice tractor.
Good luck finding your perfect tractor. Have fun shopping. ....

Which Tractor For Me

View my Photos
grinder

2004-02-20          77428

Happierthatitsorange
No I don't think I will get one this year. I just bought that MMM, a snowblower a few months ago, and another 300-400
in misc.
I do have a wife, Hasn't said a word, better quit for a while.

I have considered selling it this summer and getting something with a hard factory cab. I've seen several advertised with low hrs. Would also look for a hoe.
I think some people buy them that really don't need or use them after they get them home.More likely it's NAFTA. ....

Which Tractor For Me

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-02-20          77429

Hey itsgottobegreen, I bet if you emailed Dennis he would change your user name for you. Just a thought. ....

Which Tractor For Me

View my Photos
agentorange

2004-02-21          77454

kwschumm - is there a poll going for the new name?

oh my! did I say that out loud?

-ao

Which Tractor For Me

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-02-21          77479

A good-natured poll would be fun but would probable evolve into a flame fest :( ....

Which Tractor For Me

View my Photos
grinder

2004-02-21          77483

I have been doing it(making up new names) to Will just for fun, no harm intended.
What do you say Will, are you going back to green?

Which Tractor For Me

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-02-21          77493

How about:

itusedtobeorange

Or

ineedacanofpaint

Which Tractor For Me

View my Photos
jeff r

2004-03-02          78557

Mr Treeplanter,

You don't say if your B-2410 has a backhoe or not. I assume it does because I find it would be real tough to put in a septic field and dig a pond with the equipment you have. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login