Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kubota L3130 GST shuttle shift question

View my Photos
krambull
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-02-06          76107

just purchased an L3130 GST. The operators manual says to "reduce engine speed to low idle before shifting the shuttle shift lever." This sounds a little cumbersome. I ran the machine today between 1800 and 2100 RPM using the clutchless shuttle to change directions and things seemed to work OK. If what the manual says is really what you need to do, then you have to lower the rpm to a "low idle" with the throttle control on the steering column, then use the foot throttle to raise the throttle while in operation, then use the foot throttle to reduce RPM, then make the clutchless shuttle shift. Then, if I need to use my dual brakes I have to shift the throttle control on the steering column back up to operating speed since I don't have a third leg.

My bottom line question is: Is there a problem changing direction using the clutchless shuttle shift when running at moderate to high RPM, even though the operators manual says to do it at low idle?

Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DK35vince

2004-02-06          76117

Why do you need a 3rd leg. You shouldn't be applying throttle and the brakes at the same time anyway.(waste of brakes).
I never use the hand throttle for loader work. Foot throttle only.
Apply throttle to get to pile, ease up throttle to adjust speed going into pile, apply throttle to get full bucket, reduce throttle/ reverse .If you need the brakes let up throttle apply brakes.
All the commercial backhoes and front end loaders(designed to load all day) that I have used work basically this same way . ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-06          76118

I have many GST units, there has never been a problem shifting fore / aft with the engine running at PTO speed, you do however need to pause a little in neutral to allow things to spin down otherwise it's hard on the syncro.'s.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
krambull

2004-02-06          76119

I'd need a third leg if I was pushing some material using the foot throttle, and the front end became a little light and I'd need steer the machine slightly with my dual brakes.

You're the second person who recommended using the foot throttle for FEL work.

Thanks ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-06          76135

We've never had any problems with them coming apart and I know I've seen people shifting at full throttle. The fact of life of any unit any time you can lower the throttle during a shift will increase the longevity of it's life! ....

View my Photos
jarndt

2004-02-06          76143

I noticed a similar instruction in my BX1500 manual for engaging the mid PTO. Said to slow down the engine before engaging the PTO. Would I risk breaking something by engaging the belly mower at full throttle? It also says to only run the mower at full throttle. Suggestions?

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-02-06          76144

It would seem that the issue with the GST is an inability to change the engagement time for varying engine RPM. At high RPM with any clutched vehicle you would slip the clutch more (more engagement time) if you were reving the engine. If that time is fixed with the GST, it would have to put more stress on all components in the drive line at high RPM than at reduced RPM. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2004-02-07          76264

You can shift the pto in at full speed if you want. The shock load will hurt the mower as well as the clutches. It's your call they just give you guidelines for longevity! The same holds true for the Glideshift transmission. We do have people shifting at or near full throttle for different reasons. It really is your call. You can also start off with a gear drive car or truck at full throttle to and your tire dealer will love you! ....

View my Photos
TomG

2004-02-08          76319

Thanks for the reminder guys! My blower chute clogged several times yesterday when I forgot to run the pto long enough to clear the chute after stopping. I believe I forgot to reduce rpm when re-engaging the pto--not good practice at all. ....

View my Photos
krambull

2004-02-10          76553

Thanks for all the feedback. Art, would your recommendation be that when running at PTO speed to use the clutch to change directions, say ,if I'm mowing with the machine?
On the GST, the clutch doesn't disengage the PTO, so I won't disengage the mower.

Thanks ....

View my Photos
Art White

2004-02-10          76569

When I'm operating a gear drive in the situation you ask I would be on the foot throttle from about 100 foot away from the turn around and throttle down by foot to near an idle and the back up after the direction change. It's not that it won't do it,but for how long. Any time you are shifting the lower the rpm the less the clutch or clutches have to slip. ....

View my Photos
DK35vince

2004-02-10          76597

Changing direction at high RPM's doesn't save any time, just adds a lot of unnecessary stress and wear ! ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-02-11          76620

This is again why the foot throttle comes in so handy. Reducing RPM on the shift saves the drive train. Reducing RPM when you're operating the loader under no-load conditions saves hydraulic ram seals.
Dave ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login