Go Bottom Go Bottom

bx23 vs b7510 vs b7800- machine will do the job

View my Photos
golfpro222
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-12-28          72516

I have been researching these tractors for two months now and keep flip/flopping as to what I think is the right model.

I have 2 main purposes. First is snow removal on a 300 foot paved driveway with the first 200 feet quite steep : 2 weeks ago a 4wd pickup/plow could not get up following a weekend storm. The second is landscaping a new house with about 50 feet in front and 120 feet deep out back(preparing lawn, building retaining walls,bulding stone walkway and steps, shrubs and tree planting).

Originally I thought a BX23 with BB would be perfect as all the tasks were covered. Then I heard advice that after first year BH would seldom be used so I thought a larger machine (b7800 with FEL/BB without back hoe to make affordable)would be better for snow removal. Maybe b7510 would be adequate. Also the suggestion was made that a snowblower maybe necessary to get rid of the snow in one pass as opposed to multiple passes with a back blade.

I would appreciate anyones' opinion as to those who have researched these models with these jobs in mind and what they finally decided. How did things work out? Anyone with a steep and long driveway,I would I appreciate to know what you use for snow removal and the results.Do I need a snowblower?

Thanks to all.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
wbowhunt
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-28          72524

I do not have a steep driveway, But do have a very steep grade off the side and back of my driveway, which I have been driving up and down with my tractor quite regularly. I take it from you choices that you have pretty well decided on Kubota and not one of the other brands? JD, NH or Grey.

Someone else will probably correct me here if I am mistaken, but if one of your big concerns is snow and a steep driveway, I would recommend the 7800, reasoning that going down the drive pushing or blowing snow may not be bad, but going back up takes HP and if you add a blower using some of that HP you are going to be going even slower.
The one thing I have learn in the world of tractors is they will all pretty much do the same thing, it really boils down to how fast do you want to get it done. More HP means bigger/ wider attachments ( and bigger $$ for those attachemtns ) Which in turn means getting done faster.
Good Luck

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-28          72527

The B-7800 offers a third range which you would be using a grat deal and would allow higher speeds under good power. The BX is large enough to do what you need for the property but might steal a game or two before the landscaping is done. ....

View my Photos
golfpro222

2003-12-29          72551

Art,

What do you mean "BX...might steal a game or two before the landscaping is done"?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I think what Art means is that it will simply take a little longer to do it with the smaller the machine, but it will still get done. All of them are very capable.

Dennis
Tractorpoint ....

View my Photos
chuckles

2003-12-29          72555

GolfPro,

I can see how you are confused, I have been analyzing the same type of situation here for a long time minus the new house, my house was new when I started the analysis. I have been using a Garden Tractor (WheelHorse) with front single stage blower for 20 years, 7 on this property.

Sure I am gettin the job done with the WheelHorse except I have to battle the storms 4" at a time, very painful.

Any of the tractors that you are looking at will do the job and you will not have to battle the storms like I do.

I am puzzled by Arts comments. I have over 1000 feet of driveway with up to 10 % grade + and I have a total of 5 acres with 3 acres in clear unobstructed finish lawn. Art recommended the BX for it. Take a look at my pix. How could art recommend a BX for me a B7800 for you bypassing the B7510 and B7610 and more importantly not telling you that a BX is the only choice here, I am lost again!!!!!

I was skeptical of the advice, I don't think short wide tires on the BX are good on hills. So I placed a order for the B7510.

In your case a 300 foot drive really is not that big, and your yard seems to be pretty small as well.

If you are used to or want a driveway that is paved and clean after a snow storm ( a wise choice on hilly drives), a loader and blade is kind of sloppy. After all a Loader is an excavation tool not a snowplow, even most fullsize backhoes replace the bucket with a flex blade for moving snow. So with a Loader / backblade you will leave some hard pack snow which will become ice, you will rip up the edge of your lawn along your drive .....etc.

On the other hand buying a snowblower allows you to use a much lighter tractor, and the results will be a perfectly clean job.

I think it is a common miscalculation to over buy when buying a new house, you are in a spending mode. I know someone who is in exactly your situation and is buying a Grand L 4630, absolutely ridiculous choice, it will be sitting in a Garage unused for its lifetime, foolish to me because if I ain't using it I am not happy. Hey but if you like to collect things you rarely use I guess it is OK.

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-12-29          72559

Are there any budget considerations here at all? Can you afford any tractor you want?

The BX has two salient features or two major selling points.

1. Affordability. As a TLB package it is priced thousands of dollars under a comparably equipped, larger unit.

2. Size. It fits on smaller trailers, works in tighter spaces, tows with smaller trucks and takes up less garage space than other TLB's.

So my advise is this: If price is not important and the compact size does not matter, just move up the line a little.

One caveat, I don't think a B7500 is a move up from a BX 22 (or whatever the current model #'s are). If you are going to step up from a BX the next logical step would be the B2410 or larger. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-12-29          72560

The BX will do everything that is needed here. For the lower initial price you get the added option of the hoe. The only real plus of the 7800 would be the ability to have a 72" deck, and a 72" blower which both cost you more money which would be using the hoe to trade. The larger tractor would get the loader work done faster, that is where my quip of the golf games lost if the BX was purchased! The BX with a 60" deck is a great value for a home owner. It does give a lower package price of the hoe for the work needed to be done on the property as well as future work. I do believe and I have many of them on properties up to ten acres and they work great and there owners are bragging of there successes! ....

View my Photos
kubotaguy

2003-12-29          72568

I had a B7200 (same size to B7510 but less HP)and moved up to the B-7800. It was like night and day moving snow. The smaller machine just didn't have enough weight to get traction and not enough ground clearance. I only have a 200' driveway and can clean 12 inches of wet snow in about 10 minutes. I cleaned my neighbors drive which has two steep hills and going up the hill it did ok, but coming down the hill I just kept pushing and barely had to open the throttle. The 7800 is the way to go especially with the ground clearance.
Good luck. ....

View my Photos
golfpro222

2003-12-29          72608

Kubotaguy,

What do you use to clear your snow? A FEL or blade(front or back?)

To all else thanks for the response.

There are budget considerations but I would like to get the tractor now that will do me for a long time. If it means spending a bit more I'm willing to do that, as I know these machines retain good value but you always lose something when you trade up.That's why I've decided to get a new one as I plan to take good care of it and make it last a long time. In the future I hope to get a larger property so that is figuring into my getting a little larger machine as well.

I kind of ruled out the B7610 as the price is so close to the b7800 I would pay the little extra and upgrade.

Right now I am leaning towards the b7800 but would not be able to get the backhoe. I will get a snow blower next year if I can't keep the driveway from icing up with a blade.

I have also been told there are quick exchange FEL and front blades. Are these available by Kubota or do you have to go off market?

Thanks again for the response.

View my Photos
kubotaguy

2003-12-29          72610

golfpro, I use the FEL for snow removal and use it in the float position and it does pretty good unless it has been driven over and then I have to use a little down pressure. The first snow we had this year was about 10 inches of wet snow and I dropped the bucket and went the length of my 200 ft. drive pushing the snow and didn't spin a tire (I bought chains for it but never put them on yet). My biggest problem is digging up gravels in the gravel driveway. So far I have been very impressed with the 7800 performance. Just remember that you don't get any rear hydraulics with the 7800 which means no hydraulic top link which would come in handy if doing a lot of rear blade work. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-12-29          72649

You do loose some every time you trade. Hopefully you did accomplish something in the process of the initial purchase that you may be able to put a dollar value to. It might be the work that you did do, or a feature that after hooking and unhooking you might find you would like the extendable links on the hitch for ease. Just think if you bought to big and you found that manuverability for the property has been hindered by the size. Now think of what another machine will cost to mow with or to trade down! Try a complete BX22/23 with a bolt in tooth bar for the bucket 60"deck & 60"york rake or 48" box blade and you have nearly every piece you might need except the snowblower. ....

View my Photos
darrel

2003-12-30          72669

I am using a BX2200 with 50" snowblower on 1800 foot steep drive with triple switch backs and 18% grade, handles deep snow over a foot either direction no problem! ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-12-30          72671

That ought to take some fear away as to what a BX can do! Thanks Darrel! ....

View my Photos
grinder

2003-12-30          72712

I have a 7500 with a 3pth 54" provonost blower I use on a
200' paved drive and 50x50 parking area. (Rear blower costs 1400.00) At the most how many times a year are you going to use it? This leaves the loader available to move banks and
clean up. Or, to lift something when needed.
For a paved drive, to me a blower is the only way to go. if it gets any sun, it will be clear soon after blowing.
I have never used a back blade, but have watched a guy a couple of times, I can't see it works that great, maybe for light snowfall 6-8"s ? We have had two good storms this year
so far, 20+ inches =4-5' snowbank at the road in the morn.
I had no problem,had to go slow when the snow was rolling over the blower,but it chugged right through. The Cab is
on the wish list though !! right after I get my 60" MMM.
In the mean time I put on my goggles and go for it.
I am sure you will be happy with any of the models you are considering. Talk to someone who has the one you like?

View my Photos
EM57pe

2004-01-02          72917

If you have a lot of landscaping to do, you will really enjoy having the BX23's BH. As far as future uses, the machine is so maneuverable and compact that I think you will find it handy for lots of jobs. It's easier (and more fun) to start the tractor than it is to go get the shovel, even for small tasks!

View my Photos
itsgottobegreen

2004-01-03          72993

I would not go with the bx series. I still thinks its a garden tractor on steriods. A b7500 would be a place to start. A b7800 or b2410 would be better and comes with better bragging rights. You can rent a 3pt hoe. I just bought a used B7500wloader,blower,mower,etc. Haven't tried it out in the snow yet. But a snowblower will make or break you in a big storm.
Grinder i have a 60"mmm that i don't need. Have 3 commerical mowers, 2 tractor mmm and 5 locke reel mowers. Do you have a loader? Make me an offer, it only has about 125 hours on it. I need the room. ....

View my Photos
dmunoz

2004-01-03          73007

I have a BX22 and am very impressed with it. I haven't tried it in the snow, but I have moved tons of gravel and dirt up a very steep hill, and it did it with ease. I have a few acres that I built a house on with no landscaping. The BX has been a lifesaver. The FEL works great, I also have a rough cut mower, box scraper, and a post hole digger that the BX has no problem operating. After using the backhoe, which was not originally what I bought the BX for, I can't imagine not having one. It has done everything from dig trenches to large holes for trees.

I would not hesitate to recommend the BX to anyone! ....

View my Photos
grinder

2004-01-04          73011

I would be interested in it. Can you send a picture?
model# year? ....

View my Photos
golfpro222

2004-01-04          73032

Everyones' responses have been food for thought. Things seem to split 50:50. I don't think I need a 7800 so I have now narrowed to a BX23 or 2410/7610. I really think I need a blower listening to what everyone has said and due to the steepness of my driveway. I want to make a useful pass clearing snow going up the hill, as sometimes I have to get out quickly, so I think a blower would be more effective. I tried operating a back blade on a friend's tractor and due to my low back I cannot see myself doing alot of work going backwards so I definitely need a front blower.

I think the BX23 would certainly do the job but I could get a larger blower with a 2410/7610 and clearing my driveway of snow quickly is the primary purpose of getting the tractor in the first place. With the latter I would not get a backhoe so I have to decide how much I really need one. Once I am landscaped I can't think of many projects that I would need it for. As I am landscaping I could probably do all reqired backhoe work in a weekend so I could borrow or rent one.

I will contemplate another week or so. I will have to order something fairly soon.

Does anyone have any experience with 'kit" backhoes I could put on a 2410 or 7610 and how much would it cost? It would probably serve my backhoe requirements fine.

Thanks again for everyones' input. ....

View my Photos
grinder

2004-01-04          73043

I had the same problem and decided to rent a mini excavator
when I need it, Like you said when your all landscaped, it
won't get much use. For 3-5 grand You could hire a machine
and operator for quite a few hours. I have rented the mini's before and they are quicker,reach further,and most have a handy blade on them. Here in maine I can rent a fairly new Cat mini for 175.00 for the wknd. delivered and picked up.How can you beat it? ....

View my Photos
golfpro222

2004-01-22          74755

I thought I would update you all with respect to my tractor purchase decision.

First of all I would like to thank all the responders for their input and suggestions. There were many good points for all 3 machines and lots to consider.

I have decided to get a BX23 with backblade. I picked this as I thought a backhoe would be invaluable for my landscaping which I expect to be doing for a few years. I did not want to spend the money to add one to a 7800 or 7510. I think I will give up a bit of snow removal capability with a smaller machine but I can always add a frontblade or snowblower in the future if necessary and I am accepting that it may take a little longer to get the job done.

I should also add that I checked out a number of local dealers and it was quite obvious which one I wished to deal with. He spent considerable time with me, gave me some good advice,put up with my initial indecision on which model I actually wanted and finally gave me a fair price.

Thanks again to all for your help.

View my Photos
wbowhunt

2004-01-22          74760

Well, When does it get delivered? I am sure you will be happy with your decision and will not believe all the things you will end up using it for. Good Luck and Enjoy ....

View my Photos
Art White

2004-01-22          74763

I think you made a wise choice! You will enjoy it and it isn't overkill on anything. Congratulations! ....

View my Photos
EM57pe

2004-01-24          74975

Welcome to the BX23 family! You will love that backhoe. I don't know how I ever got along without one. (Lots of leaning on a shovel, that's how!)

:-p

View my Photos
golfpro222

2004-01-25          74998

I hope to throw my shovel away!!!

Let it snow, let it snow , let it snow.

Tractor being delivered next week.

Golfpro ....