Go Bottom Go Bottom

B21 Kubota for Contractor

View my Photos
justJeff
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-12-28          72486

We are a general contractor that currently subs out all of our dirt work. We build spec homes at the beach and the soil is all easily dug sand. Most lots that we own have brush no larger than 3" to clear. Our foundation holes are 24" deep, and we have sewer trenches that are usually 50' long or less, ad 42" deep at the deep end. Our power trenches are about the same length, and 2' deep by 2' wide. We also have material delivered to spread for driveways, normally no more than 30 yards.

The folks that we sub the work too all use pretty large equipment due to the time savings, though some excavators are using smaller equipment. We're willing to spend a little more time if it can help us save on the 2k+ that our dirt work normally costs us now. We would like something easily transportable with our current 3/4 ton trucks and 7,000 pound trailer. The B21 TLB seems to fit the bill. We'd welcom any opinions on whether this might be a suitable machine for us, and what a fair price for a new one might be.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-28          72503

I think you would be very satisfied with a B-21 tractor. With a little larger trailer you could also use the L-35 for a little more reach on the hoe and a larger bucket for the stone work. Some areas the L-35 is more available if youare looking for a used one. ....

View my Photos
justJeff

2003-12-28          72509

Thanks Art. How do you think the loader would excavate in sand for the foundation holes? We build beach cottages, typically 26x34 foundations, with the holes a few feet larger each way, so not very large, and only about 24" deep. I know it could probably be done with the hoe, but thought the loader might make it a bit quicker.

We're probably thinking new due to the right off bonus that extends through 2004. The IRS gives new equipment purchases a 50% first year bonus, plus 20% of the remaining, so it works out to a 60% first year write off. Kubota has some really low rates right now on their new equipment too.

We were quoted a retail price of about 27k for the B21TLB. What would you guess the real sales price should be?

Thanks again. ....

View my Photos
Glenn-D
Posts: 54 Westmont, Illinois, summer home in Mountain Home Ar.

2003-12-28          72510

Sounds like the B21 would be a very good machine for what you want to do. I rented a B21 before buying a BX22. The B21 is a bit larger and built quite a bit heavier for commercial use. The only downside to a B21 is the backhoe is permanently attached so forget about using 3 point accessories. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-28          72513

Actually, the backhoe on a B21 comes off quite quickly and a 3PH can be put on it.

The Loader is not quick attach and basically has to stay on it at all times.

Dennis
TractorPoint ....

View my Photos
justJeff

2003-12-28          72514

Thanks Glenn. I'm looking at the B21 brochure and it lists the backhoe as being removeable, and gives spec's for the 3 point hitch. When I looked at one it appeared that the backhoe was in a subframe mount and would take some time to remove though. We have a 61 MF35 that we'll use to pull implements. I thought about getting a 3 point hoe for it but everyone tells me that it will tear up the tractor.

What type of work did you do with the rented B21? ....

View my Photos
Glenn-D

2003-12-28          72515

Really. The dealer I went too showed me it was bolted on and intended to be a permanent part of the tractor. The 21 was my first choice. ....

View my Photos
Glenn-D

2003-12-28          72518

Drain pipe around our new house and some ground contouring. It turned into a larger project than I expected so I bought my own machine. I'm going to have to look at a B21 again. When I first went to the local dealer he made a point to show me the backhoe was part of the frame and made to stay there. Thats why I went with the BX22 ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2003-12-28          72523

The B21, L35, and BX 22 and 23 all have quick attach backhoes they slide on in a couple of minutes. They are Tractor Loader Backhoes TLB's. ....

View my Photos
Glenn-D

2003-12-28          72525

I stand corrected. :-) ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-12-28          72526

I only do it a few times a year and 5 minutes from hoe to three point hitch. Kubota pioneered the compact four wheel drive commercial TLB back in the 80's with the B-20, then they built the L-35 and then the B-21 and the L-48. The BX uses a frame much the same as it's bigger brothers but the loader and the backhoe come off that model. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login