Go Bottom Go Bottom

Settled on a Kubota 2910 finally

View my Photos
ponyman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-12-27          72408

I've been thru the mill on New Holland, Deere, and Kubota. I am either the smartest man alive, or totally confused. But I've settled on a Kubota 2910, with loader and quick attach bucket, and quickattack snow blade, MMM.. and I think I've solved my problems thus far. The tires are new to me, they are not the usual R3's, but a more agressive and useful all around tire, like on the JD 4210's I've looked at. It is a turf type tire, with a very deep, traction type tread. "Multi tread"..but not like the R4's. More like a good 4 wheeler tire, or as seen on a 4 X 4 truck..with moderately strong tread design for all uses. Putting quick attach brackets on the loader arms, for a 60 inch snow plow, power angle. Made by FFC, so I can interchange in minutes..to loading manure, or putting the blade on when any heavy snow is forecasted..MMM looks fine for my well-graded pasture, also, with a heighth reach of 7 inches..off the ground, even with the loader brackets on. Sure hope this works..cost more than Pop's first three houses when I was a kid. All the input was fantastic and helped me to avoid some serious pitfalls..in the end, I think the dealer and the service means a great deal. For anyone's information, I did see a bulletin by John Deere, that says the 40 "TEN" series is being shaken down for a bad transmission problem (I was a whisker away from buying a 4210)..it says no TEN series tractors are to be sent to the consumer unless the electronic hydro is replaced on the tractor..no kidding, I saw a copy..it was being sent to the dealers. Over all, I think for the horses and barn work, with bucket, and gravel and grading jobs, as well as clearing snow, and mowing several acres..the 2910 will do it for me. It was still a little under both NH and JD in over all "apples to apples" pricing. THanks again..for the advice and the posts that helped me to keep focused on what I NEED A TRACTOR FOR..and not be carried away with horsepower-itis.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
wbowhunt
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-27          72411

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!. So When is she due? I am sure you are going to have a blast. I know what you mean about the cost though. Everytime I walk out into the garage and see my big blue sitting there, I think " Am I nuts for doing this?" but then I hop on and fire her up and get a job done in a quarter or the time. and it's not even spring yet. Oh Yeah it's worth it. ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-27          72429

Your going to have a lot of fun with your new toy! Good luck! ....

View my Photos
ponyman

2003-12-27          72434

Thank you to all who kept me focused on what "I needed to do with the tractor. When you are intense, and seriously debating features, you seem to be confused by the facts, and by taking the advice on here, to focus on the needs I have..the uses that I'll need the tractor for...really helped me. I'd love to own a NHTC24 or 19D, or a JD 4115, or 4210..you bet. I just felt the Kubota filled my need, was heavy enough to ge the jobs done, pull that loaded ground drive spreader in snowy weather, and the NH and the JD was a little heavy for my softer ground near the marsh, when mowing..plus some tight turning areas between pastures and gates..I sure do like those tires, the Multi track I think they are..has anyone seen them? Have experience with them? I ordered chains in the deal, put on..I'll put them on the next time..((smile)).. not my favorite task.
Thanks again to all. And if anyone needs a little help with Farmall Cubs, I've restored 7 of them to showroom shape, and have rebuilt them from end to end..just sharing that. ....

View my Photos
ponyman

2003-12-27          72435

Thanks, Art. My post included you as much as anone else for sure. I don't see how I can lose, I'm 62, and finally have power steering, loader with an 1,100 lb. lift, good down pressure for that snow blade..a thirty horse 4 banger diesel, liquid cooled, wet brakes, I can put a heated cab on it next winter..and best of all, my wife is still speaking to me! ....

View my Photos
ponyman

2003-12-27          72436

She's due in two weeks, surprisingly, the dealer explained to me: They order a "container" off the ship from Japan, when it comes into Long Beach, Ca. The containers go to New Jersey..from there they are distributed in the eastern U.S. zone..I guess, but anyway, they get a price break on a container, a large inventory package.. so there were 4 2910's to choose from, three or four 60 inch buckets and loaders..MMM, the words..the only reason I have to wait two weeks is for the quick attach aftermarket brackets for the bucket, and snowblade..and it's going to be delivered. Loaded the tires with antifreeze solution, not calcium., instead of the ballast box in back. That's about it. Thanks again. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-12-28          72440

Congratulations on a great tractor! The waiting part is not fun. Post some pictures when she comes in. In the mean time, hopefully the dealer provided you with an owner's manual so you can read up and be ready to jump on and get down to business! ....

View my Photos
question on loader s

2003-12-28          72447

Chief, are you familiar with the quick attach snow blades that are made by companies like Curtis, and FFC? adapter goes on the boom, the loader arms, rather, and the snow blade attaches there, after you disconnect the detachable bucket. I was wondering, that seems to be a "long ways" out in front of that tractor. Awkward looking, was wondering if anyone has experienced using this set-up, or if there is any feedback you can give me as to its usefulness...as I can still opt for the regular Kubota front blade with quick attach kit. I'd have to drop the loader, but it seems simple enough and the service mechanics have said it takes about three or four minutes once you understand it..maybe I should reconsider before signing those papers on an FFC Skid Loader quick-attach blade up front...so any input will help. I am wondering if it would make it too "front heavy" out there, or make maneuvering the tractor awkward..
So any input would be great..as I've never seen one in action and pictures and salesmen's reassurance are not the same as being on that seat and handling one.. so help if someone can? This is reference to my new K 2910, with the LA 402-l loader. The loader has the "power"..but I am wondering about maneuverability of the unit, with that snow blade way out there..any help?
You cannot "demo" the darn thing, because no one will go to the trouble to put the quick-kit on the loader arms to show you. Kind of flying blind here, with only pictures to guide me on it. Thanks. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-12-28          72468

Snow is a RARE event in my neck of the woods. (Middle TN) I would think Art can or some of the other folks who live in snowier climes can give you the feedback you are looking for. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-12-28          72532

In this area what seems to be the"new thing" is the box pushers like for parking lots and a blower on the back. With a front hydraulic angle blade it is so far out front that it will push the front away from the snow. When mounted on the tractor subframe they are closer to the front and able to push more with ut the front sliding. ....

View my Photos
ponyman

2003-12-28          72535

Thank you..it's a lot of money up front for equipment you want to function properly. For sure. I was thinking that with that Curtis or other loader-arm mounted snow blade, I am getting that snow plow so far out there, that it would be like the "tail wagging the dog" and I would do just as you suggested..slide..and I would also have much less turning radius also..it makes that 2910 pretty long to handle it..in tighter places, near the house and barn. I think I am going to go with the Kubota front blade and learn to put that loader on and off with practice, and forget that front mounted Curtis-type blade..I think it will work better all around. Thanks again for all the help. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-12-30          72741

We've been ordering by the container load for some time and it does leave you without from time to time. I've got some coming in now from the warehouse as our containers are still out a week or two. Several years ago had to go to hershey for a Gehl dealers meeting and they were bombed with snow I think about 15-18". I often remember the little B-series in nearly every parking lot just working away. Snow banks 10 foot high and a little bota driving up the banks with another bucket of snow. ....

View my Photos
JParker

2004-01-11          73692

One of my friends has a Deere (sorry don't know the model) slightly smaller than my B7800. He can drop just the bucket from his loader very easily, and does so every time he cuts the grass for improved visibility.

I asked the Kubota dealer about this and was told he could add a quick disconnect to my bucket as well, but he didn't recommend it because it added so much length and weight. I already had extra weight up front from a 4-in-1 bucket. He said I could drop the entire loader if necessary since it is a quick connect, but I still think it will be a lot of work getting it lined up just right to put back on.

Admittedly the hydro helps a lot there. ....

View my Photos
ponyman

2004-01-11          73696

Settled on a front snow blade with the purchase. Checked it out the other day, I am pleased with the set up, with that blade mounted at mid-frame, it has a lot of stability, and I am pleased I did NOT go with the quick attach bucket/snow blade set up, it puts the center of gravity out of whack, in my opinion, and I'd be sliding around up front on any kind of grade, and I have a slightly pitched lane..and more severe in some places..I'll learn the loader disconnect, in favor of having that stability. Thanks for the input. it is appreciated. Thanks to ALL who gave me pointers and advice. I was a Farmall Cub nut for twenty some years, so if I can help on that score, give me a shout. Ponyman ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login