Go Bottom Go Bottom

PTO wont disengage

View my Photos
web321
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-12-16          71392

The PTO on my L3300 won’t disengage. The lever moves as does the arm on the side of the transmission. Any suggestions?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

PTO wont disengage

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-16          71397

The only thing that comes to my mind is to be sure the lever and linkage are properly moving through their turn arc. (i.e. no sheared pins on shaft) If all is well there; sounds like the pto clutch is sticking. You might try attaching an impliment such as a pto tiller and gradually lower the tiller to the ground to place drag on the clutch in hopes that is breaks loose. I am not so sure this is gonna work but may be worth a try. Will the tractor still start with the pto stuck engaged like this? ....

PTO wont disengage

View my Photos
web321

2003-12-16          71399

Yes the tractor starts and run fine, I am worried about unnessasary wear and tear andif it will cause damage in the long run. ....

PTO wont disengage

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-16          71400

Chief the engagement on most manual PTO is fingers that move the gear into engagement to drive the PTO. If the shaft on the PTO leaver is moving then the fingers have likely come out of the gear guide or they have become disconnected from the shaft.
It is not a problem to allow the PTO to spin if it is not loaded, but when you need to use the PTO you have a problem. Starting the tractor with the PTO running an implement is very hard on the starter although if it disconnects with the clutch you still are OK, just difficult to control.
In most cases you can get at the area in the TX case to reattach the clutch fingers. We had to replace the seal on a 750 JD PTO shaft and could get at everything with out dismantling the TX. ....

PTO wont disengage

View my Photos
Chief

2003-12-16          71403

On my L245 it had a separate gearshift lever for the pto and was tied into the clutch. So much for my swag at the problem. ;-) ....

PTO wont disengage

View my Photos
Art White

2003-12-16          71425

Be sure the pin didn't shear on the lever going into the transmission. ....

PTO wont disengage

View my Photos
TomG

2003-12-17          71439

Both my 4wd and my pto have the feeling of a small 'clunk' when they engage and something similar when they disengage. It's a definite feeling that something is locking and unlocking. When my 4wd linkage broke internally that feeling wasn't there. It was all free motion and the range of motion was quite a bit more.

If the lever moves and it all is free-play or the range has changed then I'd guess linkage or shift-fork. As in Art's comment, best to hope for a sheared pin where the lever goes onto the shaft otherwise a major tear-down is likely needed. However, the fact that it starts probably indicates that the fork is moving on the shift rail. At least I think that's where most safety interlocks are. ....

PTO wont disengage

View my Photos
web321

2003-12-17          71505

I dont like the sound of "MAJOR TEARDOWN". The shift lever and the lever on the side and the shaft all move freely and I don't here anything inside, or feel anything. Its not looking good and I have never used an atachment on the PTO. Yes it used to turn off, as a matter of fact, I only turned it on twice before, but it always disengaged.:( ....

PTO wont disengage

View my Photos
Peters

2003-12-17          71510

Web321
As I tried to relate it depends on the transmission. My JD 750 we could just pull the top plate and get at the dogs (or fingers) and pull the pin to release the shaft without taking the transmission (TX) apart. We could have replaced the dogs without too much trouble.
As log as the dog is not interfering with the TX gears and you are not using the PTO then? Let sleeping or dogs lie. ....

PTO wont disengage

View my Photos
TomG

2003-12-18          71556

Peters's comment is to the point. It depends on the TX and even a repair manual probably won't say what it's possible to do by taking off the TX and lift covers. Most manuals probably start all procedure with '1) Separate the TX and Centre Axle housing.

It's still an assumption that it's a linkage problem but I can't think of anything else from the description. An experienced mechanic probably would know if if or all the linkage is accessible through top covers. A pin on the shift fork might even be replaced but replacing the fork itself likely would require separation. Anyway I'd talk to a tech about it, get a read on what's possible to repair through the top and prices for the work. If it turns out that a split is required and that's too expensive, the PTO likely could be disengaged and the tractor and put back together.

I'm with Peters here. If there is no PTO use then there's probably little reason to fix it other than safety issues or for resale. ....

PTO wont disengage

View my Photos
Murf

2003-12-18          71573

I'm going to really toss a spanner in the works here.

In the original post Web321 said the pto won't disengage, but is it really engaged in the first place or is it just spinning from friction or drag. It would be good to put some load on the PTO shaft and see if it truly is driven or just spinning up out of drag in the TX.

Best of luck. ....

PTO wont disengage

View my Photos
Peters

2003-12-18          71574

Murf maybe right my lever on the MF has no feel and moves freely until you push it in to engage in high or low. Many PTOs spin while not being engaged. ....

PTO wont disengage

View my Photos
web321

2003-12-18          71618

It was engaged, I grabed the shaft while the engine was idoling.
Went by the dealer, and was told that the L3300DT has a hyrolicly engaged PTO with a wet clutch and he said the valve wasprobably stuck, an fairly easy fix. I ran the tractor today for a few hours and noticed that the PTO was now off. Could it be that the Chevron THF just has to warm up? By the way, it's orange, just like UDT!
Thanks for all the sugestions, but aparently it's not broke.:) ....

PTO wont disengage

View my Photos
TomG

2003-12-19          71673

That's good news. Guess we had it right but forgot that all pto's aren't mechanically engaged. Well, we all learn something and I'll remember to ask whether it's a mechanical engage next time the question comes up. Most important thing is that it's working and without an expensive repair. Curious thing that the safety interlock seems to detect the engage lever position rather than the gear position. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login