Go Bottom Go Bottom

kubota snowchains

View my Photos
jalicea
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-12-14          71179

I have a 2910 with 23 X 8.5 X 14 front tires. I have not found chains small enough for the tires that will not interfere with the steering mechanism. I think I need a thinner front tire with a wheel with more offset. Any other options?

Jose

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

kubota snowchains

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-14          71180

Jose, have you tried looking here to see what you might make work?

Link:   click here

kubota snowchains

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-14          71182

Why do you need front chains? Are the rear chains not providing enough traction? ....

kubota snowchains

View my Photos
jaalicea

2003-12-14          71183

Would like more steering capability. At times when plowing the tractor tends to drift.

Jose ....

kubota snowchains

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-12-14          71184

Those are probably R4s, right? Maybe you should try to trade 'em for a set of R1s. ....

kubota snowchains

View my Photos
Art White

2003-12-15          71193

The chains some times will cause it to drift even faster. ....

kubota snowchains

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-12-15          71206

I agree with Art.

I didn't think El Paso got much in the way of snow, but maybe we are not talking about plowing snow?

Are you talking about pulling a moldboard plow? ....

kubota snowchains

View my Photos
jaalicea

2003-12-15          71284

The tractor is in southern NM at 9000 feet elevation. Yearly snowfall of about 80 inches. Why would the chains make it drift more?

Jose

Jose ....

kubota snowchains

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-12-16          71339

Boy, 9000 feet? That is up there. You may live at a higher altitude than anyone on this board.

I lived in Alaska for a long time and we have several snowbelt and Canuck types on the board. We generally tell folks that chains are designed to power you through uncleared snow. They do so by compressing the snow and then biting into the compressed material with the chain links.

They would be quite useful if you were pulling a rear blade as your tires would not be running in a cleared path.

However, if you are pushing a snowblower or a front blade ahead of the tractor and your tires are running on the path you just cleared, chains offer little or no improvement in traction. They tend to tear up the base surface (asphalt, gravel, etc.) and in some instances act more like ice skates.

Tell us what sort of tires your 2910 has...... hopefully not R-1's (??) and what sort of snow removal equipment you are using.

kubota snowchains

View my Photos
Murf

2003-12-16          71341

Mark is very right about chains and traction.

I would add however, that if you were to add weight to the front end you would dramatically improve your steering. The easiest way to do this is to lift the plow/blower/FEL a little off the ground and leave a trace of snow behind. The weight of the implement, plus the snow on top will add a LOT of down-force to the front wheels. You can always go back for a second pass and clean up the dregs after.

Best of luck. ....

kubota snowchains

View my Photos
jose

2003-12-16          71343

I have R4's. They are two wide for chains to clear the steering mechanism. Options that I have found are to apply a wheel spacer and change the studs or to swap tires (Left vs Right). Both options will probably increase the stress on the front axle. I am using a curtis blade in front with a rear snowblower. Unfortunately the curtis blade does not tilt enough for my gravel road.

Jose ....

kubota snowchains

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-12-16          71346

When Jose first mentioned "plowing" I thought about field plowing, not SNOW plowing. :( Forget I mentioned the R1s. ....

kubota snowchains

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-12-16          71347

I know what you mean about the front tires. I have turfs on my 41115 and I don't think there is room to stick my finger between the sidewall and the steering knuckle..

Have you looked at cable chains? They are designed for the close clearances on front wheel drive cars and might work for your application. I think they work better on cleared surfaces and ice than traditional chains anyway. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login