Go Bottom Go Bottom

BX2230 ELECTRICAL CAPACITY

View my Photos
snowmover
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-21          69322

I expect delivery of a new BX2230 in late December. I would like to add extra lights to facilitate after dark snow blowing. I can't seem to find any info on what wattage I can safely add without an alternator upgrade. Does anyone have any advice?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-22          69327

We've been adding two work lites to the top of cabs and one on the rear with little reported trouble and I forgot heat in the cabs. Depending on normal use with day light conditions and only heater and minumum light used or limited night time use fine. Constant dark operation with full heat and three lights will require the optional alternator to keep the battery fully charged. We found that longer cool down periods was helping on some to recharge the battery after night or full option use. We have up graded enough at this point that if you get the cab get the larger alternator to begin with to ensure that a problem won't arise later or unexpectently do to a change. I normally recommend a trickle charger when tractors are left in the cold to maintain a good full charge in the battery and this tool would over come this condition. ....

View my Photos
duker99
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-12-31          103231

Hi Art,
What wattage were those lights (top and rear) of the BX2230? Did you wire them into the standard lights? Use the connection under the seat? or?
Thanks!
Duker ....

View my Photos
Art White

2005-01-01          103241

Duker I'm going to edit my last post as we have run into some trouble with some units depending on the type of use so just look back! ....

View my Photos
duker99

2005-01-01          103268

Hey, thanks for the insights Art!

Here is all I want to do on my BX2230 - I want to add two front facing lights over the rollbar so I can see during FEL operation. I believe I have two options for power;
1) connect the overhead lights to the (always hot) power connection under the seat. Controlled by a separate switch. Or;
2) tie the overhead lights into the headlight circuit such that everything works at the same time (least desirable option).

I don't want to spend any extra $$$ on an alternator upgrade (or replacement due to overloading).

So given this, what would be the maximum power of the lights such that the alternator can keep up with? Local Kubota dealer is of NO value in this regard (good dealer otherwise, but innovation is not in his suit of skills)!

Thanks! ....

View my Photos
Art White

2005-01-01          103274

We've been using 3x5 halogen floods that give out a fifty foot wide by 30 deep pattern and probably one would work any way but I can't tell you of the power use without checking. Some we have even use a toggle for on off naturally they are more then those with out the switchbut gives a different option. I'd put one facing front and one to the rear. To use a flat piece of metal for a bottom that you could mount the lights to you would only need a top piece to clamp it to the roll bar and that way you don't even need to drill it. ....

View my Photos
duker99

2005-01-01          103276

Thanks again Art!
The installation strategy you defined (mount on a metal plate clamped to rollbar) is precisely what I plan - just curious about the maximum wattage so I don't kill my alternator (and then some).

E. ....

View my Photos
Archdean

2005-01-01          103280

Just added two 55 watt 3x5 floods to my folding rops sides!

Used a relay and a switch directly to the or I should say battery at the + post on the starter!!

This leaves your oem electrical system unchanged! ....

View my Photos
AV8R

2005-01-02          103313

Snowmover: Here is what I did on my BX2230. The lights are 35w rubber cased tractor lights (non-hallogen)they are plenty bright and don't tax the small oem dynamo too much. They work great for snowblowing and FEL use. I turn one around for using the box blade with the snowblower.

I used the ignition-hot lead under the seat to power a relay and the tail light lead to switch it. ....

Link:   BX 2230 Lights

View my Photos
duker99

2005-01-02          103333

I just checked on my BX2230 and that connection (under the seat) is serviced by a 20 amp breaker. The breaker is labeled for a "working light."

Let's see now where is that formula again? How many watts of lighting can I use? Hmmm..

E. ....

View my Photos
botamac

2005-01-03          103348

55 watts divide by 12 volt equals 4.5 amps for each light. So if you have 2 lights multiply by 2 and that would equal 9 amps. And if I recall I was told the stock dynamo put out something like maybe 12 amps on the BX model. And this should be fine on a BX model because you run the engine at full throttle

or 55/12=4.5 amps
35/12=2.9 amps

And yes the lights in frount of your BX are useless when your FEL is on. ....

View my Photos
duker99

2005-01-03          103378

You make my work easy - translation - more seat time (on the Kubota).

Thanks! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login